Peugeot Forums banner

2.2 170 Hdi Loss of power

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  kgw 
#1 ·
Hi, I`m getting a loss of power after some harsh acceleration with my 407 170 Hdi (115K miles). So if I accelerate hard (to 4K Rpm etc) the car then feels good, then when driving normally it will feel really sluggish when accelerating. If I`m going along at 1.5K Rpm and put my foot down I get nothing untill about 2800 - 3K then it feels OK again. Its done this a few times now but only really after hard accelerating.

All other times when driving I can accelerate fine like if I was 50 - 60 mph in 6th gear I get good boost and the car pulls fine but if I drive hard it will lack the boost below 3K.

I have a cheapo ECU reader and I get p0240 and p1351 fault codes. I know that p1351 is something to do with glow plugs. From my searching p0240 comes up with generic OBD fault "Turbocharger Boost Sensor B Circuit Range/Performance".

I had a boost pressure sensor fail a few months ago and had one replaced, could the other one have gone?

Thanks

#3 ·
Don't put your foot down at 1.5k rpm, it's not great for the engine/gearbox, change down a gear and then floor it. Diesel's have great low down torque but to accelerate hard at low revs, it puts a lot of strain on the gearbox (and DMF if you have it) to produce the wheel torque needed.

Your 2.2HDi is essentially a 2.0 HDi with a longer stroke so it won't be as lively but due to the increase capacity, have more power towards the top end aand cruising at low RPM's will be much better in the 2.2 HDi.

#4 ·
It does sound turbo related.

There are two turbos -- a small one and a big one -- and they're plumbed in parallel.

The small turbo is useful from 1400RPM and always runs.

At about 2700RPM a butterfly in the exhaust spools up the big turbo, then another butterfly in the inlet opens and they both run in parallel.

You should be able to feel a 'bump' at about 2700RPM as the big turbo comes online.

The transition happens between 2700RPM and 3500RPM, with the top of the range decreasing when more torque is required.

There are 4 butterflies that control the system:

There is a 'recirculation' loop in the air supply to the compressor of the big turbo to allow it to spin while not supplying the engine.
Vrec opens and shuts this loop.

VC2 is on the engine side of the compressor of the big turbo.

VT1 is the wastegate

VT2 controls the exhaust supply to the turbine of the big turbo.

Additionally, there is the air doser. This is a butterfly in the air intake that is used the throttle fresh air when the EFR is open and which slams shut when you turn the engine off which makes the engine wobble less.

Note that the 2.2 doe not have the intercooler bypass that you may be familiar with from the 1.6 and 2.0. This means that the air doser is a single butterfly and not two butterflies.

#5 ·
RWB, the car behaves as you describe but there is a little dip at 2800-2900 before the 2nd turbo.

It will have to wait for a Planet or Diagbox check as there isn't one local to me in Cambs and finding the time on a weekend for travel is not easy.

I did have a check done with Delphi software and it picked up these fault codes,

P1351 Preheating relay controlled and glow plugs not supplied.

P0240 Turbo pressure signal (Turbo 2)

5FF BSi internal fault

031 No communication with fuel additive ECU.

I knew about the preheat problem, They cleaned out the boost sensor on the right near the air pipe and was advised to change the boost pressure sensor as I had one fail so the other may not be at its best. But it hasn't changed the behaviour of the car. I dont know if this is for turbo 2 or not. If its not where are the boost pressure sensors located as I cant find much info online.

If I drive normal its fine, I mean I can accelerate to motorway speeds etc from 1.5 - 2K all the way to 4K rpm and its fine but if I leave it too long in a gear the boost will drop at around 3.5K and then lose boost until I switch off and start again. I dont lose all boost but its like an old 405 1.9 turboD.

Are the cheap so called Lexia/planet kits on ebay worth getting for live data or am I best to try and find a user with the planet?

Thanks

#6 ·
Hi,
I've had exactly the same phenomenon for a while on my Citroën C6 (including the P0240 ). It disables the cruise control and usually resets after you turn ignition off.
I'm hesitant to start changing components until it's sorted. It could be one of the turbo pressure regulator valves ( see ), or perhaps the diverter valve under the turbos (see ) or God knows what else.
Did you ever find a solution ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.