Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I am considering doing the head gasket having come to the conclusion that it is the cause of my excess coolant pressure and coolant loss.

Now, is haynes doing things the hard way again or is it really necessary to remove the injectors and fuel rail.

Also, how do I know which thickness of gasket to get. I've seen 1.4, 1.45 and 1.5mm listed. Again Haynes has a complicated write up on the procedure of gasket selection. Last gasket I did was on a 306 1.8 16v and I dont remember any of this.

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
According to the Haynes manual the thickness of the gasket is dependent on the greatest potrusion of the piston crowns. The gaskets are identified by notches on the gasket edge and range between 1 & 5 notches.

My Haynes manual for the 307 doesn't mention removing the injectors or the fuel rail in the head removal procedure on the 2.0L HDI engine.It does mention removing the injectors & glow plugs on the 1.4L HDI engine which I assume is because these could get damaged removing the head.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I have heard that it is common practice to have the head skimmed but also that it is not necessary on these engines as long as the removal procedure/sequence is followed correctly.

I do wonder about Haynes sometimes, just checked and definatley says remove injectors and fuel rail which seems OTT to me and may be just haynes being OTT.

Any idea on location of the notches. I had a quick look but couldnt see them.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Just double checked my haynes and I hold my hands up - you are right, I stopped reading the first paragraph at the remove the air cleaner assy.

Haynes tend to instruct you to do some unnecessary things so that they cover themselves. If someone damaged items because the manual didn't say remove them they might just see an opportunity for getting some money from haynes. The same manual says to remove the exhaust system when replacing the timing belt to prevent damage to the front flexi pipe but it isn't necessary. I couldn't get the clamp off lying on my back in the road so just left the clamp loose and made sure the engine was properly supported.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just double checked my haynes and I hold my hands up - you are right, I stopped reading the first paragraph at the remove the air cleaner assy.

Haynes tend to instruct you to do some unnecessary things so that they cover themselves. If someone damaged items because the manual didn't say remove them they might just see an opportunity for getting some money from haynes. The same manual says to remove the exhaust system when replacing the timing belt to prevent damage to the front flexi pipe but it isn't necessary. I couldn't get the clamp off lying on my back in the road so just left the clamp loose and made sure the engine was properly supported.
Bugger. I took the exhaust off for cam belt :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts