Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short
The missus was driving home (45 miles ) low coolant waning came on, she rang me and asked what she should do, told her to pull over an check the coolant (she had a large bottle of water in the car) the top bottle was empty, topped it up and it appeared to hold the water, so she set off again, sort time later it happened again this Time she was only a short distance from home and had no more water. I told her she had two options 1 stop and wait for someone to come, 2 take the chance and continue home but stop if the temperature rose anywhere near the red.
She took option 2 and drove the car a few miles (she say the hand never moved much beyond halfway) but the car stalled out. Hours later I got to where it had stalled, check it, and found that it was loosing water as quickly as I could put it in(5/6" right angel hose on the back of the engine near the ETS)
My question is would the car have shut it self Down to protect it self or did it just grind to a hult?

I have been able to start the car, the first time it was a bit slow to start, the second time it started and sounded normal

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There isn't anything as far as I am aware to shut down the engine when its overheating. Maybe all the water was thrown out and the temp sensor had nothing to register the overheating? Sounds like it seized from the slow first start, no point investigating further, if its not loosing water I would carry on, an oil change though might be a good idea.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
If there is no water touching the internals of the temp sensor it is only reading the hot air in the engine so it wont give a true reading.

I agree it probably got too hot and stalled itself but it may be ok they are tougher than they seem :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas
I'm waiting on the new hose, so I thought it might be a good idea to take a look at the egr when the excess is good,
Can it just be blocked of or should I just give it a good clean?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts