Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my Peugeot Partner.
It stopped after running, AA called diagnosed camshaft sensor. Changed that no go, so changed crankshaft sensor, engine started. Went to Asda about 1/4 mile stopped engine again no start AA called again, AA cleared code P0345 again engine started I drove home got car on drive turned off engine again no start. Put PP2000 on it and it comes up ECU not incorrect matching.
Engine ECU; permanent fault fuel pressure signal, Coherence.
Engine ECU; Injection supply cut-off test fault.

My question is what do they mean by Coherence?

I removed and tested Volume Control Valve as when I first tested it on the car could not hear any movement of it when testing, after refitting have now got permanent vibration as what should have happened while testing with Planet.

Am at a loss as to what to do next any ideas, please.

Derek.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a problem with my Peugeot Partner.
It stopped after running, AA called diagnosed camshaft sensor. Changed that no go, so changed crankshaft sensor, engine started. Went to Asda about 1/4 mile stopped engine again no start AA called again, AA cleared code P0345 again engine started I drove home got car on drive turned off engine again no start. Put PP2000 on it and it comes up ECU not incorrect matching.
Engine ECU; permanent fault fuel pressure signal, Coherence.
Engine ECU; Injection supply cut-off test fault.

My question is what do they mean by Coherence?

I removed and tested Volume Control Valve as when I first tested it on the car could not hear any movement of it when testing, after refitting have now got permanent vibration as what should have happened while testing with Planet.

Am at a loss as to what to do next any ideas, please.

Derek.
Whilst charging the battery which was disconnected, which meant the BSI would reset it self, I checked all cables from sensors to ECU just to make sure we did not have any breaks all Ok. Connected battery up and left it to it's own devices for a while, came back and tried it, it started. So connected PC went thru planet and got 2 faults 1 EGR not playing properly, 2 Perm fault fuel pressure signal- coherence.
Changed vacuum hoses old ones soft, fuel pressure Regulator or pressure sensor both easy to get to but which one is causing the problem any ideas.

Derek.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Planet does much more than read codes.

Coherence means the signal/reading it is getting is not what it expects to see look at fuel pressure in live data parameters 1 it will show you what the ecu is actually seeing

Its usually wiring that causes the issue rather than parts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel pressure

Thanks Reliable,
I will look tomorrow.
Fuel pressure at idle is 259bar.
Cylinder correction shows
1 86.27%
3 69.02%
4 139.61%
2 78.43%

As I do not know what these figures mean , I am playing in the dark.

I am on a learning curve with this as the vehicles I worked on until 86 never had sensors just us who had to learn to listen , look and diagnose with our heads. Electronics were coming in when I left London Transport , it must be fun now.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
It is indeed fun !!

Injector 4 may be leaking back too much hence the higher correction reading if leakback is bad enough the pressure wont build enough for starting just like an old mechanical injector not holding pressure the principle is the same just the operation is now electrical rather than mechanical pressure cracking them open.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just this morning talking to my friend in Essex he said that very same thing. So next step is checking injectors. Will run Planet again and see what it is telling me today.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You need to do a leak off test on the injectors planet no good for that im afraid google DIY leak off test kit sure you will find the info can be done cheaply enough i have a home made job i use.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well I swapped out the injector giving a higher reading than the others, still no start. PP shows fuel pressure still coherence. Checked camshaft sensors wires, found a break , repaired and checked continuity to ecu and all OK. Voltages at cam end are 0volt ground on 3, 12volt signal on 2, 5volt + on 1. Still no cam/crank sync. When turning over engine with PP recording it shows sync NO, revs on PP are being seen , so would that rule out crank sensor. When testing the feeds to cam when putting the signal line to ground (with a test light) the volts do what they should on a pull down circuit and go down.
Am going to try another cam sensor .
Also when testing actuators on plane only the VCV vibrates.
Pressure reg does not vibrate.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You did not say anything about cam sync earlier if you have no sync it will not start simple as that your problem is either cam or crank sensor related OR the timing is out causing no sync.

These engines will run 1 tooth out but any more you get no sync dont assume its ok because the belt is still on check it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks Reliable ,
Yes I did not know that the cam/crank sync was out until I played a bit more with PP2000 , it makes sense though as the cam belt was changed at some point in the past and maybe the crank bolt is not as tight as it should be allowing the gear cog to move slightly.
I will check tomorrow, same as picasso pin in crank pin in cam? to lock for timing.
This has got later timing , solid cam gear and I presume elongated woodruff slot in crank. It had a belt change before i got it , ran it for a year and now after coming up with camshaft sensor error , now no sync. Could the crank gear have shifted slightly I ask myself.
Will let you know.

Thanks again.

Derek.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have checked timing and both pins went in, crank OK but camshaft just a smidgeon out less than 2mm. Checked wiring again all OK. Apart from no sync Planet is coming back with air temp short or open circuit and fuel pressure short or open circuit. Fuel regulator still does not vibrate when tested thru Planet. I noticed on another thread there was a reference to the coolant sensor , the temp gauge reads correct when it was running. I did watch a Youtube vid that showed a temp sensor faulty not allowing car to start.
Will once again recheck the timing belt tomorrow, if not raining of course.
My version of Planet does not show me the codes just a description of the fault.I am running version 7.02 with rev B interface on a laptop running XP SP3.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
No sync no start
No fuel pressure no start.
cranking speed less than 250rpm wont start

Temp sensor wont stop starting fuel pressure open circuit will sounds like wiring issue to me you can unplug most of the sensors and it will still start ! concentrate on getting cam sync and fuel pressure reading while cranking of 300 bar 298 is usual reading on good engine at idle less than 120 bar it wont start.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I think this car needs a can of petrol and a match.
Reset timing , still no cam/crank sync. Did come up with PO344.
PO193 fuel rail pressure, short circuit to positive.
PO113 Measurement of air temp at flowmeter, short circuit to positive or circuit open, temp too low.
PO183 Fuel temp measurement, short circuit to positive or open circuit : value too low.
Would a faulty flow regulator ie: shorting out as this also carries a 12v feed.

Reliable, I understand that I seem not too know what I'm doing but having 15 years as a bus mechanic I am more than capable of mechanical work and I thought that 24 years as an electrician would have helped me cope with this bl--dy car.

Sorry for the rant just frustrated ,

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Im not saying you dont know what your on about im just giving you the facts as i know them if you dont have cam sync then the ecu will NOT allow injectors to flow this is because the ecu uses the cam signal to decide when to start the injection cycle once fired it actually does not need it but it does need a reference to actually start.

Wiring is nearly always the true reason for issues

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When testing continuity from crank to ECU all OK.
When testing continuity from cam sensor to ECU all OK.
Obviously no feed at crank because it generates an ac voltage back to ECU.
Whilst at cam we get
1 +5volt which comes from C3
2 12volt signal which comes from D1
3 ground which comes from A1

Will check loom again, obviously I am hoping that the 2 cam sensors I have bought are good.
1 off the bay, but the other from eurocarparts. The one from ECP looked like it had already been fitted as was slightly dirty and someone had put a green dot on it.
Will phone ECP tomorrow and see what they say.

I apologise if you thought I was being out of order but just frustrated with this car especially as it went a whole year after I bought it really well.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
There is 1 question im not sure if its been asked but is your key recognised and unlocking the immobiliser this can be checked with planet in the bsi or by the beep test mentioned all over forum for non starts.

Berlingos/partners can suffer from BSI getting wet but it would normally show up as no remote locking and sometimes dead dash although if that was the case the readings for the ecu still dont make sense anyway as BSI or key fault would not stop cam sync

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Planet is saying ecu unlocked and key recognised.
Leave key in ign and open door we get beeps.
Global test shows fault on multifunction display intermittent.
Faults on engine ECU and that's the ones I have already shown.
Could a faulty ECU throw up strange faults as everything for the engine goes through it.

I'm glad I'm retired or this would be going to the scrap man.

If you think I'm fed up you are right.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
It is NEVER the ecu that is what conclusion garages come to when they cant find the fault !

Immobiliser side is fine so you need to find whatever is causing the lack of cam sync and the fuel pressure short then it will start bad earth break inside the wires wires rubbing on engine/body i know i keep saying it but it has to be wiring.

Give it a squirt of carb cleaner to fire it over and it might just burst into life if it does start messing with the wiring till it cuts out then you will find the problem

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes Reliable, I am coming to the conclusion that wiring or fuses or relay could be nearer the answer. Have checked for more damage to wires after i found that one worn away , found the 2 factory splices they're OK. Now looking at the fusebox end of things and trying to figure out where relays are hidden.
Found the glowplug relay, thought it was the double relay at first now i know that it is not so will leave that alone.
Just got to check all in and around the fusebox.

I will get there in the end, just got to persevere slowly .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My latest question is this, is there a separate double relay on this model or is it built into the BSM-B3 fuse holder.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts