Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My wife's ancient and decrepit 307 has always been a great starter, you merely need to breath on the key and it fires right up. Yesterday, however, it refused to start. It behaved as if the battery was flat (very slow to turn over and getting slower the more I tried) but also the headlights came on when the key was in the starter position (the light switch was in the off position).

I tried to jump start the car, but it behaved exactly the same. In the end, I removed the jump leads and gave it one more try "for luck" and it fired right up.

Today, it won't start again. I've taken the battery off the car to give it a proper charge, but the charge says the battery is 100% charged.

Any ideas? I can't see any obvious wiring issues.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hi,

My wife's ancient and decrepit 307 has always been a great starter, you merely need to breath on the key and it fires right up. Yesterday, however, it refused to start. It behaved as if the battery was flat (very slow to turn over and getting slower the more I tried) but also the headlights came on when the key was in the starter position (the light switch was in the off position).

I tried to jump start the car, but it behaved exactly the same. In the end, I removed the jump leads and gave it one more try "for luck" and it fired right up.

Today, it won't start again. I've taken the battery off the car to give it a proper charge, but the charge says the battery is 100% charged.

Any ideas? I can't see any obvious wiring issues.
could be any of the following:
battery past its best before (needs testing proper)
bad earth
bad battery connection
bad starter connection
starter past its best before

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear what you're saying and it makes sense, but why would that make the headlights come on when I'm trying to start it?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You need a new battery.

My equally ancient 307 hdi failed to start a couple of weeks ago - despite having been driven the previous evening.

Starter was very sluggish - the headlights came on just before the battery went kaput. New battery - now starts every time.

Charger will say 100% - but it's a different matter when you put the battery under load.

DW10TD - you will need a 027 shape battery.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Just as a matter of interest - Halfords own brand batteries are made by Yuasa - a good manufacturer. Halfords are of course expensive - but you can go to the shop - buy one fully charged - plug it in and forget about it.

·
Registered
14,533 Posts
If its just the battery then a proper jump start should have seen it starting
More power = easy start so i would not be 100% certain on the battery being the cause it could still be a bad connection or starter.

Try a push or tow start see if it goes then decide

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If its just the battery then a proper jump start should have seen it starting
More power = easy start so i would not be 100% certain on the battery being the cause it could still be a bad connection or starter.

Try a push or tow start see if it goes then decide
"Proper" is the operative word here. Most jumper cables sold are woefully undersized to provide the amperage needed to start a car if the battery is completely flat/has dead or dying cell.

Another thing to check is that there is a good connection between the battery posts[terminals] and the clamps. Remove the clamps, clean both posts and clamps with a post cleaner tool/wire wool, grease contact surfaces lightly with a copper grease and replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I charged the battery overnight. It started at 12.2v and was at 14.4v this morning. I have a "smart" charger with a "Battery Recondition" mode so I used that.

The car has run fine all day today with the wife pottering about. We'll see if it survives another frost, otherwise I'll stick a new one on it.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Just as a matter of interest - Halfords own brand batteries are made by Yuasa - a good manufacturer. Halfords are of course expensive - but you can go to the shop - buy one fully charged - plug it in and forget about it.
Hmm..... At work we have replaced a number of prematurely failed Yuasa batteries recently........

Years ago I went with my boss to a customer who couldn't start his Rolls Royce. The battery had failed. The owners response; "I'm not surprised, it's never been replaced. The car was 23 years old, only one owner, and it was an Oldham battery. I know Rolls Royce had high quality standards for external suppliers, but this is above and beyond any expectations.

Roger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts