Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly hello,
I'm new on here and I have just bought myself a 307 2.0 HDI 90 estate '53.
I have decided to do a service on the car as a good starting point of my ownership.

I have changed the oil and filter successfully, and also the air filter.
I bought a fuel filter from Halfords and it listed my car with the Bosch housing. I managed to remove and undo the fuel filter housing only to find that the filter is incorrect.
The centre hole is far to big, so I put it all back together.

Today I have been to eurocarparts where they also listed my car as the Bosch filter.
Upon querying it they checked on their main system, which said I actually have a Siemens filter housing.

Now I have got the filter home, the hole through the centre looks too small compared to how I remember it.
I don't want to break into the housing again to find it's definitely the wrong one.
I have seen on other posts on here that there had been some confusion, so I just wondered if anyone can help.

Many thanks

·
Registered
14,602 Posts
Problem is bosch and siemens use the same filter HOUSING but a diferent lid this confuses the monkey inputing the data into euro car parts database and it is wrong forever !!

They STILL list a bosch tank pump for siemens sytems siemens have NO TANK PUMP !!

look at your injectors if the little spill pipes are on the top its bosch if they go in the front edge they are siemens

my bet is siemens though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you
The little interlinking pipes are on the top of the injectors if that's what you mean. My fuel pump is Bosch and so is the fuel rail and Ecu etc.
The trouble is, I supposedly have 1 Siemens and 1 Bosch filter cartridge and neither look like the one fitted.
?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks,
I'll have to look into it a bit more as they look like the two I have got. Typical!
I've just realised on eurocarparts they show the spec of the filters.
From memory i'd say the bore through the middle was about 20mm, so I'll have a look.
Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
What year is your 406?

The general rule is if you have 3 pipes on top, you have a Siemens/Mahle filter. If you have 2 pipes on top then you have a Bosch filter.

There are one or two exceptions to this rule though...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a 307 if that makes any difference.
I have three pipes into the top of the housing.
I've just looked at the spec's on ECP's website and the Bosch one says one measurement of 16.5mm dia Which sounds more like what I think I need, but the Bosch one I have already looks exactly the same but the internal dia is 30mm.
I'm just all confused.
I'm gonna have to take it apart again and measure the filter I think.
Bit of a pain in the ars* though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have just looked at some other posts and I have read that, if the filter has 3 pipes then it's Siemens or 2 is Bosch.
If that's true I have contradicting info from many different sources.
Why does it have to be this difficult!?!
Probably part of the reason why people don't service their cars as often as they should!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My 2.0 90 hdi has a siemens fuel filter - its got one pipe in and one pipe out.

So the 2 or 3 pipe test doesn't always work.

Can't post a pic as I can't be arsed to set up a url for it - but if you post your e-mail address - I'll send the pics to you.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
There's only 1 way to find out.

Or you could do as I did - buy the housing with the filter already fitted inside. Lazy but an easy fit.:thumb:

·
Registered
14,602 Posts
3 pipes is BOSCH

2 pipes is SIEMENS

on older 406 models there was ANOTHER filter which had 3 pipes but a siemens filter this is where it gets even MORE confusing :)

Some 406 models had 5 pipes in total as they had 2 at the bottom !

307 models ONLY have 1 filter case type with 2 possible lids as I said earlier and you need a bosch filter for your bosch system there is 1 more possible filter that fits that case but its so rare I doubt it is what you need.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I've had it apart and sorted it now.
It wasn't the Bosch option which most people seemed to think.
It was the Siemens one from ECP's in the end(the one I thought was too small).
Thanks for everyone's assistance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
3 pipes, lol.
To be fair to ECP they listed the same as Halfords(Bosch), but when I queried it they checked some database or something and confirmed it was the Siemens one.
Got there in the end! :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Just to wrap this one up then for the 307 90 hdi:

Siemens can be either 2 or 3 pipe;
Bosch is 2 pipe.

I'm going for a lie down in a dark room.

·
Registered
14,602 Posts
Nah that's wrong on all late models from 2001 approximately ALL siemens are 2 pipes and ALL bosch are 3 pipes.

This applies to all 8 valve models with the housing with a black ring holding the lid on ie 206 307 late 406 807 etc

16 VALVE versions have either the 3 pipe bosch or a different type siemens housing

Euro car parts do not know bosch from siemens and using them will fry your brain :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts