Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Think I'll get my cambelt changed on my 55 reg 307cc soon as its on 62k. Anyone had this done on the 2.0 petrol engine recently? Wondering what sort of price to expect to pay when using an independant?

Many thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's a pain in the backside on a 307cc as you need to change the water pump too. The top bolt is a pain as when you have taken the nuts of you can;t get the pump of due to the exhaust manifold being in the way and you have to remove the studs. I just did mine myself as I didn't fancy paying £600 to get it done, but my water pump was shot anyway so I had no option. Strangely though it had a new belt put on less than 10k miles previously.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did ask for a full kit and water pump. Just got a reply from Mr Clutch at £305.

Incidently the guy at replace my cambelt was saying that it was 80k or 10 years max but this reduces substantially if the car is used for short urban journeys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had mine changed at 44K, as could not find a definitive answer when it should be changed, and the car is 7 years old. Better spend £200 to have to changed to be safe, then have to spent £££ on a new engine. Was difficult to find what oil it used to. Some people say 5/30 others say 10/40. Its got 5/30 now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I put my reg number in National Tyres is said Castrol Edge 5w/40 and that's what I got them to put in.

Quantity Part Code Description Discount Price VAT Total
1 OC5W402 Castrol Edge 5W40 Fully Synthetic (includes oil filter) -£5.30 £39.75 £7.95 £47.70
1 DISOIL Oil disposal charge £1.42 £0.28 £1.70
Sub-total: £41.17
VAT: £8.23
Total: £49.40
20% off an oil and filter change -£9.54
Total: £39.86

·
Registered
190 Posts
I did ask for a full kit and water pump. Just got a reply from Mr Clutch at £305.

Incidently the guy at replace my cambelt was saying that it was 80k or 10 years max but this reduces substantially if the car is used for short urban journeys.
It's 80k kilometres which is 50k mile, 40k miles if used for lots of short journeys

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's 80k kilometres which is 50k mile, 40k miles if used for lots of short journeys
Thanks for that. I'd best stop driving it I think. Its done 62k and I've no idea if its ever been changed! I'll look tonight to see if I can lift a cover to see if it looks like new ish belt but either way it'll have to be done.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I did mine myself, on 2002 307 2.0 xsi.
I'm a mechanic though, but having never done one I used a haynes manual, I made my own timing pins in my workshop at work and changed the belt and tensioner kit, water pump and housing and auxillary belt on my drive at home on a saturday morning!

I changed the whole water pump and housing as the original housing is plastic and have issues with cracking so I changed the whole thing to an aluminium one!

Space is tight but it's easily done at home with a half decent toolkit and some common sense!

I got quoted £425 in 2011 to do it and it had done 46k without a change but regular servicing. Peace of mind to know it was done and to a standard I know I could trust!

307dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
307cc cam belt

I've had two quotes from 2 different garages as follows for the same amount of work.
Full service, oil and oil filter change, fuel filter change and replace cam belt.
garage 1 = £390
garage 2 = £280

The simple answer, is get a couple of quotes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts