Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2.0 HDi Cooling system ) help needed

Hi all

I just got a 307SW 2.0HDi 110 and noticed that the engine side of the cooling system was warm but the radiator and hoses where cold. I also noticed that the expansion tank cap would not lock/

So I got a new genuine thermostat and cap and fitted, Now both the radiator and hoses heats up. But I don't think there is any water as none coming out of the bleed screw. I left the car running for 1/2 hr, now and then reving the engine but still no water out the bleed screw.

Any advice ??

Thank you

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have flushed the system twice and even put a new radiator in, Left the car running for 20 mins , a little drive for 5 mins as before hose are warm but no flow of water , and the system was not pressurized, I could take the expansion bottle cap off like it was cold.

Now when the expansion bottle cap cam off the water started to flow out the bleed cap

Is this normal or what else can it be ?? the water pump was changed 40k ago.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Today I took the thermostat out, thinking it would move the water round the system,. A 20 mins run on motorway and country roads, back home . with the engine running took the bleed screw off nothing and system not pressurized :confused:

im not losing any water, no water in the oil

please any advice would be good

·
Registered
14,525 Posts
Your looking for problems when there are none for god sake stop wasting your time the car is making heat inside and its not overheating !!

Stop looking for problems they will come and find you soon enough :)

System DOES NOT pressurise it only does that when faulty
Radiator does not get hot if the coolant system is working properly as it radiates the heat out !

·
Registered
14,525 Posts
Egr cooler is on the heater circuit so if your heater is working then its not airlocked

IF there was a problem it WOULD be overheating AND it would pressurise the system !!

2 litres are not prone too cooling issues other than leaks and overheating overheating is usually due to the aforementioned leaks not being dealt with :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your looking for problems when there are none for god sake stop wasting your time the car is making heat inside and its not overheating !!

Stop looking for problems they will come and find you soon enough :)

System DOES NOT pressurise it only does that when faulty
Radiator does not get hot if the coolant system is working properly as it radiates the heat out !
I believe that all vehicle cooling systems pressurise thus raising the boiling point of the coolant which in turn means it does not boil. The signs of that are of course steam everywhere and loss of coolant. If the vehicle is losing coolant then you need to find why. If it is not losing coolant and the heater is working fine check that the heat is not coming and going indicating an air lock in the system. Many vehicles these days have a bleed screw which is in such a position that opening it with the engine stopped you get nothing as it is well above the water level.

·
Registered
14,525 Posts
Thats what he is on about he is opening the bleed screw and nothing is coming out !!

Yes the cooling system pressurises a little but only a little like opening a bottle of juice is normal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats what he is on about he is opening the bleed screw and nothing is coming out !!

Yes the cooling system pressurises a little but only a little like opening a bottle of juice is normal.
Thank you

I could take the top hose off and drive the car, something is stopping the water circulating . the heater can be working as the water in the engine is being heated up , thus heat , but not moving if that makes sense

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
The water needs to circulate to get hot water into the heater matrix. If the water wasn't circulating the only place you would find hot water would be in the engine block !

As I understand it, to bleed the system you need to make a header tank by taping something like a 2 litre plastic bottle to the expansion opening and filling the bottle to around half way with coolant then open the bleed screw(s). This raises the water level well above the bleed screws and helps the water syphon correctly.

You have been told that the water must be circulating to have the heater working several times but choose to ignore the advice. You have also been warned not to drive with the radiator hoses disconnected but I guess you will also ignore that advice as well. Good luck with not destroying your engine if you do ignore the sound advice regarding the hoses.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The water needs to circulate to get hot water into the heater matrix. If the water wasn't circulating the only place you would find hot water would be in the engine block !

As I understand it, to bleed the system you need to make a header tank by taping something like a 2 litre plastic bottle to the expansion opening and filling the bottle to around half way with coolant then open the bleed screw(s). This raises the water level well above the bleed screws and helps the water syphon correctly.

You have been told that the water must be circulating to have the heater working several times but choose to ignore the advice. You have also been warned not to drive with the radiator hoses disconnected but I guess you will also ignore that advice as well. Good luck with not destroying your engine if you do ignore the sound advice regarding the hoses.
Have you also considered that the thermostat could be stuck. If it is stuck shut then no coolant reaches the radiator, the purpose of this last item is to remove excess heat by having cool air drawn or pushed through it by natural air flow or the action of the fan. If the thermostat is stuck open the coolant passes freely through the radiator and the engine runs too cool.

I would also agree that disconnecting hoses is disastrous.

By the way a pressure of 24psi is the sort of pressure you get at full normal operating temperature, not a pressure to be messed with if you have ever tried removing the pressure cap at max temperature!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By the way a pressure of 24psi is the sort of pressure you get at full normal operating temperature, not a pressure to be messed with if you have ever tried removing the pressure cap at max temperature!
why then can i open take the cap off when the engine has been fun for 20 mins and the temp gauge showing about 80 deg, can i take the cap off no problem and the water in side cool ??? the bottom radiator hoses are hot but the top cold , the radiator warm.

I may not be getting my point across right , but to me that is wrong, If i start my landrover , or the new kia we have both system are roasting hot and full pressurized , unless its a Peugeot way ???

You have been told that the water must be circulating to have the heater working several times but choose to ignore the advice. You have also been warned not to drive with the radiator hoses disconnected but I guess you will also ignore that advice as well
Im not ignoring advice , but i know the water is not moving , I know this as when the cap is off the tank the water circulates , but not when the cap is on i know this due to the bleed screw. And yes the bleeding is done correct way as shown in the manual.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts