Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

The radiator fan on my Peugeot 307 2.0 HDi 90hp does not kick in when the temp rises causing overheating problems when the car is not moving.

It seems that there are 2 relays behind the bumper controlling the fan. I presume one is for low and one for high fan speed. I checked both and they are working fine. I bridge both connectors and the fan starts normally on both speeds. When starting A/C, the fan kicks at low speed as it should.

Is there any fan switch on these engines, and if yes where is it located? Any images of the water circuit? There is a two wire green sensor located at the water mixer close to the thermostat unit. Is that a fan switch or a water temp sensor?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
My car had the high speed fan not working and this caused a message to be logged. It turned out to be a the relay had a broken control wire in the loom. With the bumper removed it is quite easy to trace the control and power cables and do continuity checks on the cables which is what I did to find the broken wire. Are there any messages being generated on your car?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked all the wires for continuity and everything is fine. It has to be the sender switch but I don't know where to locate it

·
Registered
603 Posts
Define temperature rising ? The Low speed fan only kicks in at 96º IIRC, the highspeed at 105º

The 307 radiator is highly effective, even at moderate cruising speed it will keep the engine in safe temperatures.

Still, to play it safe, get someone wit PP2k, and do a actuator test on both speeds to be sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being located in Cyprus I don't have access to pp2000 diagnostic tool. I just have a normal diagnostic tool but does not show any errors.

Is there a fan switch and if yes, where is it located?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Being located in Cyprus I don't have access to pp2000 diagnostic tool. I just have a normal diagnostic tool but does not show any errors.

Is there a fan switch and if yes, where is it located?
The relay controls work (including switching) of the radiator fan based on inputs from ECU, A/C, coolant temperature sensor (close to thermostat) and radiator temperature resistor. There is no other separate fan switch.
The relay is one per fan, but it can be separated relay and resistor or both together in one piece.
The relay problems resulting in abnormal fan functioning are fairly common.
Buy new one or you can try to disassemble and clean the circuit board of the old one (that worked for me).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is only one fan and two relays controlling the slow and fast operation of the fan. I can only locate a temperature sensor (green) located at the water mixing device close to the thermostat.

Does anyone knows for the 2.0 HDi 90hp if there is an additional fan switch or resistor and where is it located?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
On ALL modern peugeots the engine ecu controls the fan switching it uses inputs from various sensors including engine temp and AC demand etc to decide when to put fans on it will switch the relay required directly depending on requirements there is no sender/switch.

As already said these engines run cool in normal use the fans are rarely required you may need them where you are if its much hotter but most of us are in the UK where the fans are rarely needed to be fair :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts