Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, from what I gather, it's pretty normal for the engine temp to read about 75 most of the time.

Mine creeps up to 85 or even 90 if in traffic for ages. All seems fine, btw.

However, stuck in traffic today for yonks, and the temp was up to 90, then slight more at 95, then dropped back down to 90. When moving again, temp dropped back to 80 - 85.

Interestingly though, I was expecting to hear the cooling fan, but I didn't.

Decided to leave the car idling when I got home and monitor it. Again, temp crept up to just over 90, then dropped back down. Again, with no sign of the fan kicking in:confused:

Waited again. Same again. :confused::confused:

The things not overheating, drives fine and isn't loosing any coolant. Heaters all work fine too.

I'm confused! When exactly should the fan kick in, and how the hell is my car cooling itself down without the fan coming on?!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I wonder if the thermostat is getting a bit elderly. Try feeling the top and bottom rad hoses next time it's hot, see how warm they are and the difference between them.

·
11,766 Posts
These are very strange cars. The slightest of forward movement will make a significant difference to cooling.

Unscrew the top of the slam panel plastics, lift up and you'll see the fan relays and cabling, check that they're plugged in.

If you can find someone local to you with Peugeot Planet they can do a test to check the fan and relays.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried asking about people near me with Planet before, but whilst there's a few on the map (one very local), I've not had any takers - and Peugeot can get screwed if they think I'm paying £110 for a diagnostic.

S

·
0 Posts
I've got the 90 and the same occurs on mine

It was a damaged repairable so i always suspected we didnt put the right fans/relays in, i get an error on planet to indicate this!

Just out of curiosity if you knock the air con on for 5 or so mins does the fan kick in then (does on mine)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry mate, put the AC on when? Do you mean at any point, at any temp, put the AC on and the fan kicks in?

S

·
0 Posts
Yeah at any point, although i'd probably say take it for a 5 minute drive first :thumb:

Normally brings my fans on in about 5 minutes, so it should confirm if your fans are completely gone or if its a weird relay issue like mine!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't think that's the case with mine mate.

I was in traffic for about an hour the other day, and the temp barely got to over 90.

Then at about 95, the temp drops back down to 90....but wihtout any damn fan coming on.

Aside from this and the 'normal' operating temp of just over 70, the car behaves normally. Warm air out of the heaters within a few minutes of driving, nothing unusual tbh,

:confused::confused:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Mine does exactly the same but i put it down to the fact i have the heater on alot which is basically a radiator with a fan blowing at it...If i turn my heater down to 14 degrees the car runs hotter...I think ive only heard my fan once in 18 months....:thumb:

·
Registered
138 Posts
We were listening out for my fan the other week when investigating my coolant loss.
Turns out it was on.....we just couldn't hear it! It's rather quiet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, well I guess that's kind of reassuring.

I always thought pug fans were bloody noisy! I know the one in my old mans 406 sounded like a jet engine.

My car never feels or smells like its burning up or anything, so guess I should just leave well enough alone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts