Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might seem like an odd question but... Should this car be able to pull itself along on idle - my 306 would happily do so in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th (never tried 5th), and my works van, a 102 hp 2.0 TDI Caddy will also happily do it in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The 407 however can only just manage in 1st, gets really unhappy in 2nd and is in full-on kangaroo in 3rd.

The reason for the question is, with winter approaching, and the hills around here, I used to really rely on the 306 pulling itself up the hill on idle and am wondering if I'll be able to get the same winter drivability out of the 407....

·
5,087 Posts
I think mine will, if i remember i'll try tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Was your 306 a dt or HDI?

I had a lucas pumped dt 306 and it was just as you described, saying that you will prob recall it had a slightly higher idle speed than the 136 HDI so would quite happily drive itself! If the pump was tweaked then it would often push up the idle speed if not done correctly.

Our 206 HDI is less keen than the 306 however its still possible.

My 307 HDI 136 idles smoothly but lower than both, as such prefers to be driven if that makes sense.

·
6,451 Posts
Most HDI's stall quite easy when on idle, to meet emission requirements and improved fuel economy.

They calculate torque output from the kick on the flywheel via crank sensor and reduce fuel amount until engine is on verge of stalling and just meeting minimum torque required to keep engine turning over.

A slight amount of throttle will cancel this idle mode and once car is moving the torque control should stop stalling with foot off the throttle

·
Registered
19 Posts
i did notice when i got my 2.0 hdi it was easier to stall the the other diesels i've had before in the past, no problem no that i am used to the car.

·
5,087 Posts
:eek: i forgot............i'll try again tomorrow :rolleyes:

·
6,451 Posts
If it turns out this is "normal" is there a way to increase the idle speed to give it a little more chance?
You can get idle speed increased by someone who remaps as it is programmed into ECU however it will make no difference you could set idle to 2000 rpm and it would still stall as it would be generating almost same torque as it would be in idle mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts