·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Bought my 307cc yesterday.

Left Fife at 7am
Drove 5hrs to Manchester
Looked at a nasty Alfa gt, a very tired 06 307cc and then bought a 55 plate 307cc 2.0 hdi with 90k miles
Then drove it home.

It seems to be down on power, ita not my first diesel. Its not even my first 2.0 hdi, but this doesn't seem right.

Low speeds are ok, but 3rd upwards is lacking power. Don't get me wrong I got to 70, but I'm used to diesels 'pulling like a train' and 50-70mph is prime zone for diesel, but 6th gear was practically pointless on the motorway, I had to drop to 4th to even accelerate.

No warning lights on the dash so I did some googling.

First thing to seem to do was disconnect the maf sensor? Which I think monitors the airflow going out the airfilter and too the turbo.

Well I did that, and the only difference was the warning light came on on the dash. No improvement in performance.

So what have I done wrong so far, and what should I do now?

·
Registered
240 Posts
any service history....
might be a good idea to do the basics first,air ,fuel ,oil filters & oil,
then a scan to whats right and whats not
neil

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have that engine, with an automatic. Mine got a nice pull, but its really not that quick once you reach a certain speed. Most of the torque seems to be around 1500-3000 rpm, and once I pass 80-90 mph 6th is about 2500-3000 rpm.

I think it pulls really nicely up tp 80, tho. Do you hear the turbo spin up?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have that engine, with an automatic. Mine got a nice pull, but its really not that quick once you reach a certain speed. Most of the torque seems to be around 1500-3000 rpm, and once I pass 80-90 mph 6th is about 2500-3000 rpm.

I think it pulls really nicely up tp 80, tho. Do you hear the turbo spin up?
Tbh I wouldn't know what to listen for!
Surely if the turbo was fecked I'd have a light on the dashboard?

And I never saw 90mph, there wasn't a straight enough road to wait long enough for it to get that fast.;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any service history....
might be a good idea to do the basics first,air ,fuel ,oil filters & oil,
then a scan to whats right and whats not
neil
filters ordered.
looks like i'll be running about like this till next weekend!

i assume giving the maf sensor a clean while i'm doing the airfilter is a good idea?

how accessible are the oil and fuel filters?

·
Registered
160 Posts
filters ordered.
looks like i'll be running about like this till next weekend!

i assume giving the maf sensor a clean while i'm doing the airfilter is a good idea?

how accessible are the oil and fuel filters?
Super accessible. Fuel filter on top, oil filter right below the fuel filter. One of the easiest engines I've serviced in a long time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Tbh I wouldn't know what to listen for!
Surely if the turbo was fecked I'd have a light on the dashboard?

And I never saw 90mph, there wasn't a straight enough road to wait long enough for it to get that fast.;)
Not a ton of sound in a diesel turbo, but you should at least hear a small whistle as you pull away from standstill. A lot of this noise / very loud can mean a split air pipe or an intercooler leak.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
my 1.6hdi doesnt have amazing grunt after 70 but it still pulls if it wants to. if its a dry day it pushes past triple figures easily if i want it to

once you do the service see how it is and then unplug maf sensor. after that you need a diagnostics check.

i always service any car i get even if they say its been done so im sure its ok :D

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
The 136 has plenty power when right and if you can get to 70 the turbo is working as when they are not you are lucky to get to 50 !!

Having said that the most common thing is the repeat sensor on top of turbo goes bad look at 407 problems for more info as its the same engine

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a ton of sound in a diesel turbo, but you should at least hear a small whistle as you pull away from standstill. A lot of this noise / very loud can mean a split air pipe or an intercooler leak.
I had a split pipe on the turbo of my last car, a diesel focus. That I would notice.

Looks like the battery might be flat now. Just to make life more interesting!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so the battery reads 12v
But on turning the key (after the glow plug symbol goes out)I can hear a relay going rapidly, but she's not turning over.

Starter?

Not every time, but maybe 1 in 4 I'm getting an economy mode enabled message in the centre screen.

Help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's not so easy.

I did just try to jump it with a diesel Volvo but no difference.

You reckon the battery voltage will plummet when trying to turn it over?

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
DONT JUMP START A 307

read the forum as to why you need to be carefull

I would bet the starter has had it my sons 406 decided it wanted a new starter last week no warning just gave up !!
Ignore economy mode its not a problem merely a symptom

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also the drivers window isn't returning to the closed position when the door is shut....

That's what made me think battery.....

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
If it's the starter motor solenoid chattering (machine gunning) then it is a symptom of a dud battery. Battery volts look good when checked, but as soon as the solenoid pulls in, the load of the starter drops the volts sufficient that the solenoid won't hold in, so it drops out. Battery volts rise again so solenoid pulls in, and so it repeats.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it's the starter motor solenoid chattering (machine gunning) then it is a symptom of a dud battery. Battery volts look good when checked, but as soon as the solenoid pulls in, the load of the starter drops the volts sufficient that the solenoid won't hold in, so it drops out. Battery volts rise again so solenoid pulls in, and so it repeats.

Spot on man.

Father in law came over with the loan of his landrover defender for work tomorrow. Like a pair of bulls in a China shop we tried jumping it again (as mentioned above I don't condone being an idiot and ignoring advice of people who know more than I do.)

It did however work. I'm not getting an alternator light on the dash so we are assuming battery. I'll test it when its running tomorrow on the hope is see more than 12v

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After a lot of fannying about I finally got a decent diagnostic run today. Thanks to ADS77 for meeting me and getting this done, Proper Gent.

It showed
P1164 - fuel Pressure signal - permanent fault
P0089 - fuel high presure monitoring flow regulator at max
P0002 - Fuel flow regulation solenoid valve
P1114 - injection valve cut off when stationary
P2562 - Turbo valve position copy signal - permanent fault
P0102 - flowmeter signal
P0113 - intake air temperature signal (air intake sensor)
P2565 - Turbo valve position copy signal
P0299 - turbo pressure sensor - permanent fault
P2031 - cat temperature sensor - permanent fault

The ones not marked permanent were intermittent.

So what from the above list do we think is causing the turbo not to spin?
Which codes are important and which BS?

And what order should I tackle them in?

Thanks all

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmmm.

P1164 - fuel Pressure signal - permanent fault
this seems to be the sensor on the accumulator rail - which supposedly isn't removable without replacing the whole rail :S

P2562 - Turbo valve position copy signal - permanent fault
possibly a knackered turbo actuator? looks replaceable, but a bugger to get to.

hmmm, any thoughts guys?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts