Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well as discussed in two other threads, EGR or Head Gasket and Bizarre cooling expansion tank issue we know have the answer.

It is head gasket but only just started to fail on No: 3 and 1 cylinders AND EGR water cooler! Yep the HG was just in the early stages of failure with water penetrating bores 1 and 3. The EGR assembly was removed, blocked up and pressurised with air and the cooler filled with water and a small amount of bubbles are present. Being as I don't have any more money I just had them link the hoses.

The head was crack tested and skimmed and all good news there. So there are still some jobs they have to do for me;-
1. SMF conversion (genuine pug kit)
2. New clutch
3. New cam belt kit
4. New water pump
5. EGR clean

Below are some pics I took today of the old 2.0 lump.

Stripped out

Intake side

EGR intake side - Messy

The whole lot is going to cost me £1450 inc vat so a lot of money in one hit but not bad at all given what has been / going to be done.

PB

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm going to point something else out, unfortunately. Look at the pattern on top of pistons 1 & 4. Combustion nicely focussed within the bowl in 4, much bigger clean area in 1.
It might be a cleaning effect from the water coming in at the HG, but could be a failing injector.

If no.3 matches no.1, don't worry; but if 1 is odd man out I'd get the injector pulled and tested. Poor spray patterns crack and erode pistons. You don't want to be digging in there again soon...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy shit! Must be more than the cars worth surely?
Lol :) Kinda yeah, but I love my car and so does my 5 year old daughter. Besides there is no way I could pass or sell this car on with these problems. I'm defo keeping it for a while now as I have also just re-taxed it too at £120.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to point something else out, unfortunately. Look at the pattern on top of pistons 1 & 4. Combustion nicely focussed within the bowl in 4, much bigger clean area in 1.
It might be a cleaning effect from the water coming in at the HG, but could be a failing injector.

If no.3 matches no.1, don't worry; but if 1 is odd man out I'd get the injector pulled and tested. Poor spray patterns crack and erode pistons. You don't want to be digging in there again soon...
Hey dpmiller glad your watching my threads :).

Note taken. All injectors are out on the bench and have passed inspection. They will be spray tested before assembly which is good.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
while you have the engine out why dont you block the EGR valve up and remove the EGR cooler also might be idea to do what i done and remove the intake elbow and install a 406/C5 110 intake and replace the bottom intercooler pipe for a 406/C5 on and remove the FAP too :thumb:

heres the way yours and how mine looked till after i done the work above

heres a picture of the why mine looks now:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Looks cool and a good idea. Isn't FAP/DPF removal illegal and now MOT failure though?
yes its an mot failure but there is away round it if you have dpf/fap taken off open it up and take out the insides then but it back on as its only an EXTERNAL examination as there is now way they can look inside without removing it all and dont think there going to do that

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well mines a 2002 307 and i thought it was only cars after 09 you cant remove them?

Nah, changed in Feb that any car that came with DPF/FAP from the factory must have it installed for the MOT. Mine has a straight pipe already with an ECU map. I've got to put a new cat / dpf unit in for MOT in August :(. Then whip it off and stick straight pipe back in :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mine passed last time but as mine still looks like its still there im sure that it will be ok
The rule is that a combo CAT/DPF or DPF removal and replaced with a straight pipe is a direct mot fail from 01/02/2012.

If you have DPF box in place but the filter has been drilled out or 90% removed, then it will pass. It's a visual inspection on the filter unit being present and no EML or DPF lights on the dash or it will fail on that too!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts