Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1999 Peugeot 1.8 16v SR is has a couple of issues

The brake pedal seems to be loosing pressure. We checked the vacuum hoses we could access from the top using brake cleaner (my colleague is a bit of a tech guy) and we imagined we heard something in the manifold area but are not sure. Made an appointment with the shop, they will inspect the brakes next week Thursday. Now I have to floor it to get the car to slow down, an MOT failure for sure. Any help/suggestions appreciated very much.

Checked the fuses as the window wash doesn't work, no luck, all fuses look ok. Could not discover which one is meant to be for the washer motor.
Don't have a Haynes but guess the front wheel and a panel have to be removed in order to be able to access the fluid motor? Or can it be fixed another way? Any help/suggestions appreciated very much.

The rear floor mat behind the driver seat was soaking wet with water, no clue if it entered the car from top or bottom.

Can't get my obd2 to work, protocol error, colleague said to plug in/unplug several times to clean the contact surfaces, will try asap.

One of the hub caps damaged, ordered a used one.

Radio is not in good nick, have a nice spare Kenwood to replace it with. Pitty the car only has 2 front speakers.

That's about it I think. This car puts a smile on my face every time. This morning while driving to work I got the urge to drive straight to the Franch Alps :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Can't get my obd2 to work, protocol error, colleague said to plug in/unplug several times to clean the contact surfaces, will try asap.
No luck w. obd2

Oh I forgot, the center display as well as the clock are completely black, not showing any info.

Am very curious where the fuse of the window washer motor is, any clue please?

·
12,076 Posts
Thanks Gibbo.

Would that mean a servo replacement or can a servo itself be repaired?
There's a couple of threads on a 306 forum. You can pop the diaphragm back in place with a pencil. But on some if the seals have gone in the reservoir then brake fluid seeps in and causes damage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brakes seem to work ok again

As the transmitter doesn't work I've been using they key to open and close the car, now it looks like the lock itself is turning around, had to lock it on the passengers side.

And water rear behind driver seat in passenger footwell, ohhhhhhboy

·
12,076 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again Gibbo, I own the user manual, no mention of the fuse I am looking for.

Ordered a Haynes last week, it's been shipped and should be delivered next week. I need to know all there is to know abt this pump.

Will check the seal, all ready inspected but will take a closer look.

Meanwhile the brakes fixed themselves and car has adequate stopping power and that in a straight line, must have been caused by it not being used the last two months or so. It is an old car and old stuff needs to be kept in motion.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Most seem not to have a fuse looking through the diagrams for the various VIN numbers for 406's [lots of them around]. Issues are controlled by the BSI which shuts the circuit down if a short/overload is detected.

Remove the fender liner and get to the pump. Then check if you are getting power to the plug when pressing the wash. If there is none, you either have a wiring issue or you will need to possibly do a PP2000 scan/reset error code. A BSI reset might work but often the code triggered needs a hard reset via PP2000.

Obviously, if you do get power to the plug, your pump motor is deceased...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And it took a regular small bottle to get it back to max level, must be something leaking at the rear brakes, gawd I got another banger....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I had a look underneath the car and checked the inside of the wheels.

Driver side rear showed leakage spots on the inside / the tyre wall

Luckily there's an old school one man shop close to work who had the time to have a look.

He replaced the brake cylinder and cleaned the pads for 75 euro :cool:

And now the car brakes as never before, like it should have from the start.

I think I'll let him fix the fluid pump for the window washer after payday :thumb:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A big disappointment was that the driverside doorlock failed, after inserting the key it turned around while nothing happened.

So I started using the passenger side lock.

Meanwhile sent the remote to a repair shop.

This morning I could barely open the passengerside, it just worked and most of the time the key turned without doing anything.

I told my collegue @ work and he started laughing: seems to be an old skool burglar prevention gimmick this car has.

He told me to spray WD40 in the lock and wiggle the key.

Great, both locks can be used again.

And the shop mailed today the remote key has been repaired.

Cool.

Now the washer fluid pump. The mechanic did not show up even though he told me to drop the car off at 11:00. We'll see after Xmass.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HNY 2018 all

Received the repaired key, remote button working again

My mechanic fixed the window washer pump, he replaced it for a new one for 62 Euro all-in.

So all's well with the 406 now

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Happy that your locks are working, but WD40 is not the best lubricant for them, as it leaves a sticky residue which attracts an accumulation of dirt.

The thing to use is graphite powder - it lubricates, repels water and prevents freezing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts