Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 1998 PEUGEOT 406 SX & on my way back from a funeral today the heater/blower wouldn't work so I slid it back & forth & it came on great i thought :grin: , then when dropping some family back home after the wake it happened again :mad: but came back on again, then when I returned to take my M&F-I-Law home & from starting the car back up the heating went off again & would not come back on again :nono: getting back home has been a nightmare cos the windows were all steamed up & I had no blowers to clear them :shrug:
With christmas coming up & being self employed & having no work on for over a month I cant afford to get a garage to have a look so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what it could be & how to fix it?

Thanks
Darren

EDIT: Sorry but there doesn't seem to be a forum for 406's so I have placed it here, if its in the wrong place then mods/admin please feel free to put it in the correct place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
marinefishdaz said:
Hi
I have a 1998 PEUGEOT 406 SX & on my way back from a funeral today the heater/blower wouldn't work so I slid it back & forth & it came on great i thought :grin: , then when dropping some family back home after the wake it happened again :mad: but came back on again, then when I returned to take my M&F-I-Law home & from starting the car back up the heating went off again & would not come back on again :nono: getting back home has been a nightmare cos the windows were all steamed up & I had no blowers to clear them :shrug:
With christmas coming up & being self employed & having no work on for over a month I cant afford to get a garage to have a look so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what it could be & how to fix it?

Thanks
Darren


EDIT: Sorry but there doesn't seem to be a forum for 406's so I have placed it here, if its in the wrong place then mods/admin please feel free to put it in the correct place.
Hi and welcome to here

It could be a fault with the switch assembly, it is known for these to fail as the contacts do wear as much as the resistors that control the speeds wear out too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the moose said:
Hi and welcome to here

It could be a fault with the switch assembly, it is known for these to fail as the contacts do wear as much as the resistors that control the speeds wear out too.
Hi sorry for the late reply but thanks mate :thumb:
The funny thing is though, is that I have never had any problems with it working since????? Yet it seems to be making a funny noise now from behind the glove box area :confused:


Darren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
marinefishdaz said:
Hi sorry for the late reply but thanks mate :thumb:
The funny thing is though, is that I have never had any problems with it working since????? Yet it seems to be making a funny noise now from behind the glove box area :confused:


Darren

If it is a clicking noise hear,that is just a relay opening and closing,nothing unusual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again moose
1st of all thanks for the replies mate & secondly sorry for not replying but I forgot to save the forum in my favs again & also couldn't remember my login details :shrug:
Anyway, the noise is a squealing noise & TBH its driving me mad :mad: but dont want to go dismantling 1/2 the dash until I know what I'm undoing & what it might be that has went faulty??

Thanks again
Daz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I had a similar problem and traced it to the wires going into the blower motor, they had got hot at some point and melted the connector, I chopped the connector out and joined the wires and it works fine now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
marinefishdaz said:
Hi
I have a 1998 PEUGEOT 406 SX & on my way back from a funeral today the heater/blower wouldn't work so I slid it back & forth & it came on great i thought :grin: , then when dropping some family back home after the wake it happened again :mad: but came back on again, then when I returned to take my M&F-I-Law home & from starting the car back up the heating went off again & would not come back on again :nono: getting back home has been a nightmare cos the windows were all steamed up & I had no blowers to clear them :shrug:
With christmas coming up & being self employed & having no work on for over a month I cant afford to get a garage to have a look so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what it could be & how to fix it?

Thanks
Darren

EDIT: Sorry but there doesn't seem to be a forum for 406's so I have placed it here, if its in the wrong place then mods/admin please feel free to put it in the correct place.


I have this exact problem!
i still haven't got it fixed! after a while of them working when they feel like, smoke came out of the heaters, and havent worked since! i assumed this is the motor?
ive been trying to get help? maybe you could help me? hehe

thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Blower heater motor wires

ro8in said:
I had a similar problem and traced it to the wires going into the blower motor, they had got hot at some point and melted the connector, I chopped the connector out and joined the wires and it works fine now.
Hello there do you know the best way to get at the heater motor? Through the dash or the engine bay?
Forget that question I've got there through the passenger footwell and discovered that the same annoying clicking noise is coming from the recirculating air flap which either directs air from the outside or from inside the car is not stopping once it has reached the far end of its travel; it just keeps trying to open further. The only way to get rid of the noise is to turn on the recirculate button and the net result is the car steams up. Has anyone else had this trouble? (I have a 1997 406 estate LX DT 2.1)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
ploverlighthouseman said:
Hello there do you know the best way to get at the heater motor? Through the dash or the engine bay?
Forget that question I've got there through the passenger footwell and discovered that the same annoying clicking noise is coming from the recirculating air flap which either directs air from the outside or from inside the car is not stopping once it has reached the far end of its travel; it just keeps trying to open further. The only way to get rid of the noise is to turn on the recirculate button and the net result is the car steams up. Has anyone else had this trouble? (I have a 1997 406 estate LX DT 2.1)

Hi all

i have a 1998 406 coupe with the same fault
The re-circulating valve is not reaching its stop and makes a really anoying noise i have disconected it for the time being via the small brown plug in the passengers foot well

Also the blower has now stoped working, i have found that there is no 12v feed to the motor !! when you put a feed on to the motor the blower works as it should via the slider / scontrol switch, i assume the fan motor is feed from a relay which may be at fault or possibly a control unit
can some one please tell me where to look??

this must be a common fault on these cars as theres quite a few posts but no one seams to have an answer for it

thanks very much tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Heater Blower Problem

ploverlighthouseman said:
Hello there do you know the best way to get at the heater motor? Through the dash or the engine bay?
Forget that question I've got there through the passenger footwell and discovered that the same annoying clicking noise is coming from the recirculating air flap which either directs air from the outside or from inside the car is not stopping once it has reached the far end of its travel; it just keeps trying to open further. The only way to get rid of the noise is to turn on the recirculate button and the net result is the car steams up. Has anyone else had this trouble? (I have a 1997 406 estate LX DT 2.1)

Hi I am having the same problems at moment with a whirring sound which sounds like something trying to open further than it should. Have also found 2 wires in connector block were brown and charred. Disconnected these but sound still there. Have had to disconnect further mult pin socket which has now stopped the fan and air con from working. Still looking for a solution. Has anybody any idea's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
A fairly common problem is the heater motor brushes. These are known to wear on 406's. The brushes wear and the heater will work intermittently and then will eventually just die.

Try giving the dash board a thump in the glovebox area whith the heater switched on. If it kicks into life then its most likely to be the brushes. If it is the brushes you may find that the heater just starts working for no apparent reason when your driving along (if its switched on that is).

The heater motor is usually located in behind the glove box. Removal is normally pretty straightforward.

Replacement brushes can be picked up on ebay for £12.50

See ebay item number 190358492922

Hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Hi,

The heater on my 1996 model peugeot 406 1.9 lx td is slow to warm up. Takes about 10-15 minutes before it is worth increasing blower speed. Otherwise, it simply blows out cold air. At times, I've already reached my destination before it begins to warm up.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
I'm still thinking that your thermostat is locked open. This means that for the heater to be effective, all the water in your engine has to reach a decent temperature.

If the thermostat were OK, only the water around the engine block would need to heat, obviously the lesser amount of water will heat faster.

For there to be an airlock, there would have to have been a leak; you would have noticed this in a low level of coolant in the radiator / overflow container.

Also AFAIK airlocks are rare but where they occur they are usually at the highest point to the cooling system. This is usually a pipe from the heater. You can check this by feeling the temperature along the pipe at a high point, as opposed to a low point.

However, you say that the heater works OK eventually, so what would make you think there was an airlock?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
PureJoe.

Thanks for your response.

I don't know much about car engines. What does it mean for the thermostat to be 'locked open'?

So, are you saying I need to change the engine thermostat? How much does one cost [on average], and do I need a mechanic to change it?

Many thanks.
 
G

·
The thermostat should remain closed to prevent the coolant flowing until the engines up to temp. They usually fail in the open position, so the coolant flows right from start up and the car then takes ages to 'warm up', if at all. It can be quite damaging to a motor and does the fuel consumption no favours, but it's easy to fix.

The TD is also prone to airlocks due to being tricky to bleed and the average home spannerman usually cocks it up, unless they have the special tool or know the special work-around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top