Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed that my 1997 Peugeot had oil in the coolant so I replaced the gasket and got the head skimmed but upon reinstalling I had the timing out 180 so readjusted the timing and still not starting. The fuel pump is working and the spark plugs are sparking. The battery is fully charged so I don't see that as the problem. I'm not sure what the issue is now and the car has a keypad immobiliser. If anyone has advice that I can try that would be great because I need my car fixed as soon as possible. Thanks

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I take it the keypad immobiliser is fully functional?

Red light on, input your 4 digit pin, red light goes out & green light comes on.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
If its got fuel, spark, correct timing & compressions readings are good it should at least attempt to fire.

Its a wasted spark ignition system - the spark plugs fire on both the compression stroke as well as the exhaust stroke.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, I understand that is the system it is. The car turns over but not firing just keeps turning and no sound of it igniting. Its really confused me and I can't get my head around it

But when i got the timing wrong the first time could that of bent the valves and Is there a way to check without removing the block?>

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Its possible the valves are bent due to the timing mishap - get yourself a compression tester & check what compression values each cylinder has.

You did check / adjust the valve clearances after refitting the head?

Cylinder number 1 is gearbox end.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I thought piston 1 was crankshaft end oops can that ruin the valves?
Peugeot cylinder numbering is different to other engine manufacturers.

If everything is timed up as per manufacturers instructions & valve clearances adjusted correctly then there should be no interaction between valves & pistons.

As for the compression test values, I'd be expecting at least 135 psi on each cylinder especially just after a head job.
All 4 cylinders should report roughly the same compression value when tested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Peugeot cylinder numbering is different to other engine manufacturers.

If everything is timed up as per manufacturers instructions & valve clearances adjusted correctly then there should be no interaction between valves & pistons.

As for the compression test values, I'd be expecting at least 135 psi on each cylinder especially just after a head job.
All 4 cylinders should report roughly the same compression value when tested.
I think there's no compression because there is a spark and i can hear the fuel pump working but maybe the fuel gauge is not reading properly as i don't smell fuel. Could be out of fuel?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts