Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently obtained 1995 Peugeot 306 sr sedan but unfortunately the 1.8l petrol engine with a manual gearbox that came with it had water leaking through a crack on the engine block. I'm unable to replace the same engine because of it's availability where I am. I would like to replace it with a different Peugeot engine, I'm not very familiar with the different engines for the 306 model and which engine would be able to work. I would really appreciate any assistance or advice that I can get please, I've always like this car but just did not know alot about it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Where are you? my info is for UK cars and most of Europe?
Look at your cars vin/chassis number it should have LFZ in it.
If so the engine is a 8V XU7JP/Z ,that engine is also fitted to Peugeot 405`s and Citroen Xantia`s. LFZ will be in both their vin numbers.
That engine comes with either multi point or mono injection. So,if yours is say mono and you find a multi point just fit the "metal lump" and transfer all the manifold,injection system etc over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying and I live in Jamaica.
The chassis number I have is VF37BL6A23069721 which does not have LFZ in it of coarse. I am not sure if this is any help but the engine number is 10KJB12000354. I will also look into those two models and see if I can find any info.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Your vin number is a digit short. There should be 17 digits in total. If you post the correct vin I will look up your build sheet and post it here.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Have a look at this chart, it might help. Peugeot VIN numbers

At the moment the VIN you posted is not making sense. The VF37BL is ok, after that something is wrong. The next digit [position 7] should be a letter of the alphabet, not a 6. The next 2 should most likely be FZ [7 and 8 positions]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
An L6A is a NON CAT 1.8 so it must be some sort of low compression carburetor engine.??
As it regards to the engine number that exactly what i saw on the registration. i think i have a picture of some writings on the engine block, i don't know if that is something you may be able to identify.ill post a picture of it but i'm certain that the engine that is damaged is fuel injected not carburetor

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
At the moment the VIN you posted is not making sense. The VF37BL is ok, after that something is wrong. The next digit [position 7] should be a letter of the alphabet, not a 6. The next 2 should most likely be FZ [7 and 8 positions]
Yes you are right there was a missing item from the vin number was number {1}, appart from that the rest of the number was correct.
VF37BL6A230694721

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Vehicle family 306
Build code 06666 81 2 0141
Warranty Start Date 01/01/1990 (This is obviously wrong - see the date of manufacture at the bottom)
Engine serial number 10 KJB1 2000345
Gearbox serial number 20 CH09 6385371

306 4 DOOR SALOON 1.8 i 8v 103 Manual gearbox 5
PRODUCT TYPE CAR
COMMERCIAL MARQUE/COMPONENT TYPE PEUGEOT
VEHICLE FAMILY 306
SILHOUETTE 4 DOOR SALOON
TRIM LEVEL SELECTION PACK
ENGINE INJECTION XU7JP
TRANSMISSION BVM5
PAINT TYPE METALLIC PAINTWORK
INTERIOR TRIM TYPE PAILLETTE CLOTH "AB"
UPHOLSTERY COLOUR "FY"
GEARBOX (CHARACTERISTICS) BE3
ENGINE (TYPE) XU/XUD

The factory code is 81 - made in Poissy, France.
The date of manufacture is 8 Feb 1995

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vehicle family 306
Build code 06666 81 2 0141
Warranty Start Date 01/01/1990 (This is obviously wrong - see the date of manufacture at the bottom)
Engine serial number 10 KJB1 2000345
Gearbox serial number 20 CH09 6385371

306 4 DOOR SALOON 1.8 i 8v 103 Manual gearbox 5
PRODUCT TYPE CAR
COMMERCIAL MARQUE/COMPONENT TYPE PEUGEOT
VEHICLE FAMILY 306
SILHOUETTE 4 DOOR SALOON
TRIM LEVEL SELECTION PACK
ENGINE INJECTION XU7JP
TRANSMISSION BVM5
PAINT TYPE METALLIC PAINTWORK
INTERIOR TRIM TYPE PAILLETTE CLOTH "AB"
UPHOLSTERY COLOUR "FY"
GEARBOX (CHARACTERISTICS) BE3
ENGINE (TYPE) XU/XUD

The factory code is 81 - made in Poissy, France.
The date of manufacture is 8 Feb 1995
WOW I'm amazed right now this crazy, thank you very very much

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everyone has helped out alot, all I need to do now is find out which of the engine options will fit the gearbox I have and then I should have my work cut out on.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I just looked back over the numbers you posted and that is still your original engine it has done well to last this long :)

As for what fits ANY XU series engine will fit but if you fit anything other than the same you will need other parts best to just fit the same as old pug says they were used in many peugeot citroen cars of the time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just looked back over the numbers you posted and that is still your original engine it has done well to last this long :)

As for what fits ANY XU series engine will fit but if you fit anything other than the same you will need other parts best to just fit the same as old pug says they were used in many peugeot citroen cars of the time
Of coarse that's definitely what I would like to do but I'm just thinking outside the box. I have been searching around and it seems like I may have to ship an engine from Europe. Another factor is I would hate to have the same issue of water come from a crack in the block. I was informed that this is the second engine to be changed in that car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts