Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have access to the car or a Haynes manual so would appreciate some advice. 1995 306 XL 1.4

From memory there are two belts on the off side of the engine, one for alternator and one for power steering pump. Is this correct, do they run anything else?
where is the timing belt?

what tools are needed for changing the two belts I've found?

thank you
ithemechanic

·
Registered
903 Posts
Both are simple 5k belts,no special tools needed,just the correct size spanners.
Both the alternator and the PAS pump are moveable to adjust each belt,easy job.
The timing belt is inside the plastic covers.This TU engine is very easy to work on,(for a mechanic) so a cambelt change is a simple job.
Naturally it makes economic sense to replace all three belts at the same time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Old Pug.
does anything need to be locked off/ fixed in position, particularly for the timing belt? If yes how is this done? Are there marks to line up to make sure timing is correct?

How long would you say it would take to change all 3 belts?

ithemechanic

·
Registered
903 Posts
Your TU engine is very simple to set up.
Look at the attached image,find two pins,anything will do as long as they fit the holes. Crank locking pin hole ( 6 ) is in the block (radiator side) and the pin locates into a hole in the flywheel. Camshaft pin hole ( 5 ) is easy to find.
Your 306 is 23 years old so its coming up for its THIRD cambelt change.I think you will find that Peugeot recommend every eight years or 80,000 miles.
As its that old I would recommend a full kit, water pump,tensioner pulley and cambelt,as well as the two auxiliary belts.
As I said this engine is very simple to work on. It should take a mechanic about three hours labour.
I also recommend that you use Gates or Dayco parts.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
Ah it's hard to beat a simple engine! There should be timing marks on the cam and crank pulleys as well. You can turn the engine over by hand until they are at tdc. (Top dead centre)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your TU engine is very simple to set up.
Look at the attached image,find two pins,anything will do as long as they fit the holes. Crank locking pin hole ( 6 ) is in the block (radiator side) and the pin locates into a hole in the flywheel. Camshaft pin hole ( 5 ) is easy to find.
Your 306 is 23 years old so its coming up for its THIRD cambelt change.I think you will find that Peugeot recommend every eight years or 80,000 miles.
As its that old I would recommend a full kit, water pump,tensioner pulley and cambelt,as well as the two auxiliary belts.
As I said this engine is very simple to work on. It should take a mechanic about three hours labour.
I also recommend that you use Gates or Dayco parts.
thank you, water pump, mmm did this on my sons corsa, lots of space in the engine bay, my car, no bleedin space. Pug does seem to have space and I've heard it said on other forums once you touch the belts do water pump as well.

sorry for taking so long to reply, been on holiday

thank you for the heads up.

ithemechanic

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Most forums and garages will recommend replacing the water pup when you change the cam belt. BUT I never changed the pump on my wife's 2005 307 hdi until it covered over 220k miles. When I did the old pump ran smoothly and showed absolutely no signs of leaking.
Just sayin'.

Roger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts