Peugeot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
We're using the right battery 120Amp and it's over 640 cranking Amps and I think they used the realy near the glowplug fuse but I need to check that out I hate other oeoples wiring but it's tucked behind the battery

·
Registered
30 Posts
My peugeot 2.5d had what sounds like the same problem you have. Impossible or Hard to start from cold..
Checked the timing
Replaced glow plugs, made no difference. Replaced all injector nozzles and seals and fuel return pipes, made no difference.
Still sounded like it was just trying to start on one cylinder...
Off course the last item I checked turned out to be the real cause of the problem.. Cold start system, screws onto engine close to waterpump with a wire that leads to the injector pump. Wire was corroded so would not pull on cold start lever on injector pump. To test, push and hold the lever to the right as someone trys to start engine, if it starts hold lever in that position for about a minute.
I fitted a good old fashioned choke cable running from that lever into the cab bypassing the temp controled system..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just noticed that you said there was no primer pump/bulb...
Primer pump is located at the top of there fuel filter housing, black and round... Keep pressing it until you can feel some back pressure... Then crack open the inlet pipes into each injector,,, crank until fuel comes out.. If fuel filter has been changed and not fully bled this may need to be repeated

·
Registered
Peugeot Partner 1999, Boxer 1999, Fiat 125
159 Posts
Just noticed that you said there was no primer pump/bulb...
Primer pump is located at the top of there fuel filter housing, black and round... Keep pressing it until you can feel some back pressure... Then crack open the inlet pipes into each injector,,, crank until fuel comes out.. If fuel filter has been changed and not fully bled this may need to be repeated
No use. He isnt going to play this game by our rules. I asked him if fuel comes out from return pipes, and he never answered. So I left him to do his own bidding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have looked fir a primer the filter is on the bulk head on the right it has a water detection connector on the bottom but it just un screws no pump or anything it has a drain at the bottom
I need to get som picks taken for you guys
I do hope we get this going

·
Registered
30 Posts
You said you freed up the lead from the cold start unit to the lever on the injector fuel pump...
When the engine is cold this unit should hold that lever over to the right,, as engine warms it slowly releases the lever and it will move to its natural resting position to the left.... My engine would only start when this lever was manually held to the right,, this allows extra fuel to be injected for cold start...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Order of work would be
Prime the filter
Crack open the injector unions
Crank over, tighten injector unions once fuel comes out..
Hold cold start lever to the right while engine is being cranked...
If it starts continue to hold the lever to the right for a further minute

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold Vehicle Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Nut Gas

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Auto part Motor vehicle
found plunger it pumped until I felt resistance my dad cracked it after glow plug lights went out and nothing it turned over no smoke from exhaust is there a solenoid on the pump it started to rain so we did not crack off the fuel lines the year is 1995 its only done 34000

·
Registered
Peugeot Partner 1999, Boxer 1999, Fiat 125
159 Posts
Cold start lever, if its not over the the right when cold engine will be very hard/impossible to start... Engine may start on one or two cylinders, lots of white smoke then stall..
That post has raised my curiousity. How exactly that lever comes to the right during the cold? I know that it is connected to water pump housing. But I am not sure how does it react to temperature. Does it have a spring inside that gets larger when heated? Any idea?

I do have that cable there. But the screw on top got lost somewhere and it isnt working. Maybe that is the cause of why I have problem when I start engine after it got cold? I was suspecting the injectors then glow plugs....why not just jump to that lever and get it done with? I will try to move that lever to the far right and try to run engine. Because when I run the engine it smokes alot but gets normal within few seconds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That post has raised my curiousity. How exactly that lever comes to the right during the cold? I know that it is connected to water pump housing. But I am not sure how does it react to temperature. Does it have a spring inside that gets larger when heated? Any idea?

I do have that cable there. But the screw on top got lost somewhere and it isnt working. Maybe that is the cause of why I have problem when I start engine after it got cold? I was suspecting the injectors then glow plugs....why not just jump to that lever and get it done with? I will try to move that lever to the far right and try to run engine. Because when I run the engine it smokes alot but gets normal within few seconds.
The information I have is that the Cold start unit is filled with wax and most likely springs as well, when cold wax is hard and holds the lever over to the left, as engine heats the wax melts allowing spring to push on the lead and allow the lever to move to the right for hot running...

21 - 40 of 111 Posts