Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Need some help with my good old Peugeot J5 Motorhome.
The engine and gearbox is failing. The engine is a Citroën (PSA) crd93 2.5D non turbo. I have cought my hands on a 2000 2.5TDI Boxer engine and gearbox. Engine code THX(DJ5TED) This is complete with driveshafts, engine mounts, all electric and so on. My question is; Do you know if this will fit in my 1984 J5? What modifications have to be done? I have not seen the 2000 Boxer chassis myself and would be very happy if one of you guys could help?

Sincerely from Norway.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
2000 model van is newer shape to yours but the engine and box will fit biggest problem will be differences in mounts pipework etc anything is possible if you have enough time I have fitted all sorts of wrong engines into wrong cars over the years :)

Good thing for you is your van is basically a parts bin special and used engines and boxes from Peugeot fiat citroen etc depending on the badge !!

My friend has a petrol one and it has a Peugeot 505 engine as standard !

·
Registered
881 Posts
As reliable406 says,anything is possible if you have the expertise,equipment,time etc etc.everything will have to be changed and I think the fuel tank as well??(low pressure HDi pump in tank?) It would be a massive project.I would say you would be better off overhauling the J5 engine and box instead of a swop.
Its a Talbot Express/Citroen/Fiat van so plenty of parts available around Europe?
I`m sure you would be able to find exchange units somewhere.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Might not be an HDI engine though he says TDI which to me says inline pump engine so theoretically an upgrade of his original engine but there are so many versions of these vans every one seems to have a different engine.

Like the first Renault traffic they used a non turbo 2.1 engine and was really slow but you can fit the espace or Renault 21 turbo diesel engine in its place giving good power better suited to pulling a heavy van.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might not be an HDI engine though he says TDI which to me says inline pump engine so theoretically an upgrade of his original engine but there are so many versions of these vans every one seems to have a different engine

I don`t think this is a HDI Engine. I am looking out for a 8140.** Engine that has mechanical injection. Not easy to find and quite expensive. The engine that i`ve found have more electric stuff, but is really cheap. I`m not looking to integrate an engine that needs so much effort that i could actually buy a new van. I`m looking for an upgrade that`s easy to "implant" to my existing vehicle. And as Reliable406 is reffering to about all those engines; i`m getting really confused about all the engines and model 1,2,3 and so on. Is the frame the same from 1984 to 2000? I have only had this van 2 years and have not done so much work on it to get familiar...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts