Peugeot Forums banner

107 rust on new car

16K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  chopper1192 
#1 ·
Auto part Engine Suspension part Suspension

Auto part Rust
I have just taken delivery on a new 107 2tronic and although I inspected the bodywork it was only when I got home and was able to look underneath that I saw the drive shafts and the large castings which are fixed to the hub were very rusted. In addition a bracker fitted to the engine just under the bonnet is also rusted. Would appreciate feedback if anybody else has experienced delivery with these parts rusted. What optopns do I have?

See less See more
G
#2 · (Edited)
It's completely normal, although I'm surprised to see it rusted from day 1. It usually takes a wee while and may be indicative of your car sitting round in some dealers yard for a spell.

The hub carrier doesn't need to be painted - it's such a heavy casting it'd take a century to go thorough. Many who fit allows paint them solely for appearances sake.

The manifold is another casting that would take more than the life of the car to rot through, and finding a reliable heat proof treatment at a sensible price isn't easy, and would defeat the object of a cheap no-frills car - it suddenly wouldn't be cheap any more.

I wouldn't be at all concerned.

#3 ·
Thanks chopper

Many thanks for your reply you have made me feel much happier.
I got the 2tronic version and find it very good and the car a pleasure to drive.
I had a Corolla with MMT box before so I am adjusted to driving this type of box and the 2tronic changes 1 to 2 are better for me on my usual journey than the MMT box.

#5 ·
Rust

I recently bought a new 508 and all 4 wheel hubs have red-rust - a pal of mine who bought same car a month before has spotlessly clean hubs? we both think its the poor quality of the zinc-plating - I have written to the sales Agent WJ King of Sidcup and the manager will take it up with Peugeot? but his works foreman suggested to him that its not unusual?! - I pointed out that my wheels are an intrinsic focus of my new car and the rust is clearly visible when one glances down - its NOT acceptable particularly as my mates car is perfect -thereby showing its a 'fault'
I will keep you all posted:

#7 ·
Rust

Whilst i bow to your experience - the point that i'm making is that the hub is clearly seen through the alloy wheels I tried a picture but too large a file for this forum. the wheels are a focal point of the car and look great - but for the rust that is plainly seen!

the other point i make is that a mate of mine that bought exactly the same car a month earlier has pristine zinc-coated hubs? my point is if they can do it for one they should do it for all

if the car was several years on i'd not be so touchy -but i still believe its a defect- and will take up with Peugeot

thanks fro your comments and watch this space

cheers :nod:

G
#8 ·
None of the hubs are zinc plated. Cthecraw metal is finished using a cyanide based process which looks like anodising or even galvanisation, but it ain't. It's cosmetic with no anti corrosion properties.

I know of one chap who moaned and the fitted all new parts which the dealer had treated themselves prior to fitting. Nice. Me, 10 minutes with a wire brush was less than the round trip to the dealers, and a tin of hammerite cost less than the fuel for such a journey. Best bit is it won't be rusty again in 6 weeks.

It's solely cosmetic, and if that's a problem don't be a skinflint and buy cheap cars.

G
#10 · (Edited)
Expert eh? Can't think why you bought a cheap car if you don't like cheap finish.

To my knowledge, as admin of Europes largest Citybug club, no uk based dealer had ever replaced these parts because of the finish. Get over it.

So yeah, ex technician, co-boss of probably the worlds biggest Citybug club, invited annualky to Pinley House to meet the big nobs, and with access the more of these cars and their owners than probably anyone anywhere. Expert, perhaps no. More knowledge, experience and data than you? Who knows?

#13 ·
Yes, from this post:

I recently bought a new 508 and all 4 wheel hubs have red-rust - a pal of mine who bought same car a month before has spotlessly clean hubs? we both think its the poor quality of the zinc-plating - I have written to the sales Agent WJ King of Sidcup and the manager will take it up with Peugeot? but his works foreman suggested to him that its not unusual?! - I pointed out that my wheels are an intrinsic focus of my new car and the rust is clearly visible when one glances down - its NOT acceptable particularly as my mates car is perfect -thereby showing its a 'fault'
I will keep you all posted:
On Saturday user "alegeegee" tagged his post onto the 107 one from 2010.

#17 ·
Rust

For all you anoraks out there

you may be interested to know that Peugeot Head Office got back to me following my letter of complaint - and have agreed to have my car back and will Zinc coat my hubs - they would replace but cant guarantee 100% it wont arise again

not bad eh?

saves me the job of freaking paining on a weekend

so I didn't have to 'Get over it' Mr 'Expert Geezer!'

cheers

G
#20 ·
We used put fish in the door cards of people who moaned about untreated steel rusting when exposed to the atmosphere.

As an aside, I've already had the wheels off my 8 month old 4007 and painted the disc bells. They will inevitably rust sooner or later on any car, so I beat em to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.