Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing my front discs for MOT. Does anyone know what size screws hold them in place.

I want to get a couple of new ones just in case I need them.

·
Super Moderator
1,761 Posts
Can't remember what size they are, but some kits have new ones and even if they don't, they are only there to locate the disc. The wheel nuts are what do the work. So if they break you can still get away with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,761 Posts
Best way to get them out is with an impact driver. Manual one's tend to be better. Or my technique, screwdriver with vise grips on it for leverage while hitting the end with a big hammer! Coarse but effective! Oh and wd40 an hour before. Other penetrating oils are available....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Best way to get them out is with an impact driver. Manual one's tend to be better. Or my technique, screwdriver with vise grips on it for leverage while hitting the end with a big hammer! Coarse but effective! Oh and wd40 an hour before. Other penetrating oils are available....
yes, I did the same :)
wire brushed all round. and heated with ablow torch, and cooled with spray
Trying to get it out, the hex head hole, soon disintegrated..
so I dremelled 2 cuts at 90 degrees , tried the impact again
then , did as you did, mole grips, big screwdriver, big hammer
and bashed it... and bashed it...
I certainly made sure I copper greased the new one going in

100_0444.jpg

100_0461.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, I did the same :)
wire brushed all round. and heated with ablow torch, and cooled with spray
Trying to get it out, the hex head hole, soon disintegrated..
so I dremelled 2 cuts at 90 degrees , tried the impact again
then , did as you did, mole grips, big screwdriver, big hammer
and bashed it... and bashed it...
I certainly made sure I copper greased the new one going in

View attachment 75690

View attachment 75698
Cheers lads, i'll let you know how I get on, got the impact driver and plus gas ready. I have a blow torch as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a look at the brakes today, I am going to remove the caliper to clean it up a bit.

Is there only 1 bolt holding it in place? There is a rubber cap about 1 inch long where the second bolt should be. See pic, although it is not that clear, you can just make out the rubber cap.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pull the cap off, there will be a hex bolt under it.
Thanks WillNZ, I tried that and it wouldn't budge, even tried a screwdriver and it still wouldn't move. It must be a bloody long hex bolt head.

This is a better pic.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The cap is right at the end of the rubber furtherest from the calliper metal body, should pry off easily, look for the groove between the rubber and the plastic cap. Same type callipers are used on quite a few other models like the 406.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cap is right at the end of the rubber furtherest from the calliper metal body, should pry off easily, look for the groove between the rubber and the plastic cap. Same type callipers are used on quite a few other models like the 406.
Thanks for that, saves me wrecking it. I was trying to prise the whole thing off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't honestly remember how I did it , atm....
but it wasn't too bad to do

looks a bit "unhinged" :)

undo the top,. and the bottom slides off

Liam
Thanks Liam,

I guessed right then, there is only 1 slider pin bolt. The pin with the rubber cap simply slides off.

I got the disc screws out today, with my £2.49 impact driver. I thought for a minute it wasn't working, that i'll teach me for buying cheap rubbish. Then I got a bigger club hammer to it, and out they came. :lol:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Job done, there was no need to take off the calipers, just knocked the pins out, and took out the brake pads. Took out the screw holding the disc on, a quick spray of Berner Super 6 rust remover where the bolts go, that gets it behind the disc where it sticks to the hub, and after a couple of minutes, quick tap of a hammer to the back of the disc, and it practically falls off.

I was thinking afterwards, I had the handbrake on yesterday while working on the front brakes, maybe that is why I couldn't see the adjuster.

[/IMG]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts