Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi any advise on how to check out my alternator pulley as a source of a rattle at idle. I have released the aux drive belt and checked that the pully locks and unlocks, locking being checked by inserting a screw driver in the vent slots and onto the fan. There is no obvious signs of wear, but is there more I can do to establish if it the cause of the rattle?

A garage advised the rattle is either the alt pulley or crankshaft pulley (which shows no sign of looseness).

The dual mass flywheel was replaced £20K miles ago by the previous owner so I am dismissing this as a source. The engine has done 147K.

Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Just an update for those who might be interested in noises from the bottom right of the 1.6 HDi engine! I have progressed the diagnosis on my noise by removing the aux drive belt and running the engine. Using a length of wooden dowel i probed the timing belt cover and ascertained that the noise is coming from the water pump area. Noise disappears above idle! At idle it is sort of mild grumble, like some one muttering to themselves! Guess I have got to take the cover off and investigate further! Anyone else had this, if so would be interested in hearing their story, timing belt kit only fitted 20k miles ago by the way!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Could be that the timing belt tension is loose causing it to rattle a bit at low rpm or it is misaligned and hitting the cover. Other thing could be a bearing in the tensioner/guide/water pump is failing. Either way you need to check it out asap as any failure of the whole belt system will nuke the motor.

Noises emanating from inside the timing cover are never good! :eek::(:nono:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the reasons I got this car recently is that paperwork showed a new kit had been fitted recently, grr grr!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Was it a full timing belt kit they fitted. It should have included the tensioner pulley and the water pump.
It is a false economy to not change these items.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
I agree you may well find they did not change the water pump you may also find the belt too loose or too tight but whatever it is needs fixing NOW or the belt will possibly be thrown off breaking rockers and adding to your headache :)

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Not exactly scrap as these engines just break rockers when the belt goes BUT its a lot of work to get at said rockers as the injectors can be reluctant to come out and there is the potential of 16 broken rockers and lifters !

Still cheaper to fix it before the belt breaks though :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not too bad then.

I am more used to engines that smash the valves when the belt breaks.

Although I have owned Subaru's and they have a safe engine, so if the belt breaks the engine just stops with no damage. Much better idea.

But, sort out the problem before that happens.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Subaru engines are not always safe i have a few mangled heads here from various failures over the years !

I have also seen peugeot belts break and not do any damage its not really anything that can be predicted and i dont believe there are any safe engines in reality just some that are less likely to be damaged.

General rule is petrols bend valves diesels break rockers

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the advice and encouragement to get the noise sorted out, pleased to say i have started, doing the job myeslf. All going well, big bits off so covers off next!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts