Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Peugeot people!

I drive a Mini Clubman with the PSA 1.6HDi diesel engine. Mini can't seem to help me out so I'm turning to HDi experts.

My car is a 2009 model and the engine has 106,000km on it. It has been serviced every 15,000km with regular oil changes every 10,000km approximately. The fuel filter, air filter and oil have just been changed. The car has been fantastic except for a small hiccup when the clutch was changed. Immediately after the change, I had black soot all over the engine bay which they diagnosed as a leak in the particle filter after the turbo - pre-cat I believe. When they fixed this they replaced the turbocharger itself as a precautionary measure because they feared that the seals on the turbo may have been leaking soot as well.

My problem is that the car accelerates like a wet noodle. There are no error codes, no soot, tail pipe is clean as a whistle. Fuel filter, air filter, etc.. have all been changed. This has been going on for quite some time and I would say since the turbo was changed. There are no obvious leaks in the air piping. I'm wondering if the poor acceleration could be EGR-related? Car idles and runs fine, but clearly lacks power. Clutch is not slipping. I've basically exhausted my options on where to look for the problem.

Taking off from a stop it simply feels like torque and power are missing. There is no real pickup until about 2200rpms and even then it feels weak compared to how I remember the car when I first bought it. If I punch it in 3rd gear at 3000rpms, I get a little juice out of it, but this doesn't seem normal.

Can anyone offer some advice, I'd love to figure this one out. Dealer isn't helpful since no codes = no problem, but I know this car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,261 Posts
Basically if it has been like that since the turbo was fitted then its likely that a vacuum pipe is off fitted incorrectly or burst check ALL the vacuum pipes for security and test for vacuum with a gauge.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Have seem similar problem after turbos were fitted to the dv6 (1.6hdi) engine in Peugeot/Citroen....The all suffered late boost..e.g. 2100-2200 rpms when they should be boosting from 1800 rpms.
In the end the problem was with the reconditioned turbos...As reliable406 said get them to fit your old turbo back as I can't see why the replaced it unless it had failed...:confused:
Ron.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. That's not good news - the old turbo was sent back to Garrett and is now long gone.

I can't help thinking this might also be EGR related. Is the EGR valve on this engine easy to remove and clean? To do so, does the coolant have to be drained or can I just access the valve without having to drain the coolant?

Have seem similar problem after turbos were fitted to the dv6 (1.6hdi) engine in Peugeot/Citroen....The all suffered late boost..e.g. 2100-2200 rpms when they should be boosting from 1800 rpms.
In the end the problem was with the reconditioned turbos...As reliable406 said get them to fit your old turbo back as I can't see why the replaced it unless it had failed...:confused:
Ron.

D

·
0 Posts
Soot all over the turbo area is also from the muppets who removed the particle filter doing the clutch didn't refit it correctly and its not mating to the turbo flange correctly.
Thats not a turbo problem.

D

·
0 Posts
Ron.
Recon turbos never work like they should. You nearly always have repeat failures afterwards.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

thanks for this. Just to be clear, the problem with the soot has been resolved. I transferred the servicing to another dealership that installed the new turbo and fixed the soot problem. That was about 25,000km ago. I've had no problems since. The new turbo wasn't a reconditioned one, but brand new.

The car runs and idles smoothly, the only problem is that it's noticeably lacking power, especially down low. I was thinking EGR but there are no codes being pulled from the car.

Should I be looking at something else?

Soot all over the turbo area is also from the muppets who removed the particle filter doing the clutch didn't refit it correctly and its not mating to the turbo flange correctly.
Thats not a turbo problem.

D

·
0 Posts
Best to check the shaft of the new turbo also as this engine was maybe already rubbish first time the turbo went. Repeat failure is common especially if the turbo refitting procedure was not adhered to ie the sump to be removed and oil pickup nenewed. The turbo oil feed and the oil drain off pipes have to changed also.
Sorry to be blunt but its all fact. Poor service history = turbo failure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14,261 Posts
To be honest David it sounds like poor diagnosis led to replacement of a good turbo as the soot was the only reason for replacement and we both know that was because the clamp was badly fitted on the DPF rather than the turbo failing :)

He says his engine went fine BEFORE they replaced the turbo !!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it revs over 2500, but for example tonight I was going up a steep hill. I ran it in first up to about 3000 and barely went anywhere, shifted into second because the revs were high and then the engine was basically lugging. It's not normal.

The rpms go up high, but it feels like it's naturally aspirated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The turbo never failed. They changed the clutch and I think they didn't tighten the FAP connection to the hot side of the turbo and it leaked soot. When they did the repair BMW offered to goodwill the turbo so they changed it.

Car has been serviced impecabbly, oil changes every 10,000km. I am aware of the turbo failures on these care.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Sounds like its in limp mode...:rolleyes:

Tbh....you really need to get your mini hooked up to dealer level diagnostic
equipment and view....
1)any fault codes logged...
3)actual turbo pressure verses reference turbo pressure from ecu...?
4)dpf differential pressure across the dpf filter...?

If you think it maybe an egr valve problem then i'd unplug it for the moment and see how it drives...;)
Ron.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are no warning lights. The car was scanned for codes at the last service about 2 weeks ago - nothing.

I should look into actual pressure vs. reference. Thanks. Can these values be obtained with a Scangauge II, for example?

If I unplug the EGR, won't it throw a warning light?

Sounds like its in limp mode...:rolleyes:

Tbh....you really need to get your mini hooked up to dealer level diagnostic
equipment and view....
1)any fault codes logged...
3)actual turbo pressure verses reference turbo pressure from ecu...?
4)dpf differential pressure across the dpf filter...?

If you think it maybe an egr valve problem then i'd unplug it for the moment and see how it drives...;)
Ron.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts