Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I had a bit of a coolant leak near to the thermostat housing. I've just changed this and been for a drive. The temperature gauge is sitting at 90 which is good but the bottom radiator hose is cold. Like the thermostat isn't opening.

I assume this isn't normal. I didn't go far maybe 6 miles but the car was up to temperature before I left. What's the score? I'm scared to drive it in case I damage the engine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would have said, like you, thermostat isn't opening.

If you've changed it then I would say air in the system or a blocked radiator.

Did you use a header tank to refill the system as parts of the circuit are above the neck of the expansion tank?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Of course the thermostat is opening!. If it wasn't the engine would have overheated, the gauge would simply keep on climbing.
The purpose of the radiator is to dissipate heat, sounds like yours is doing a fine job, hot coolant goes in, cold coolant comes out, what more do you want?.
If you just let the engine run with the car stationary eventually the bottom hose would get hot, then the electric fan would cut in and blow air through the radiator.
You're looking for a problem you haven't got. :p:):p

Roger.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Perhaps you need to run the car for longer to see if the bottom hose starts to warm up. 6 miles may not be enough.

Thermostat closed = coolant only circulating in the block and the heater matrix.
Thermostat open = coolant circulating in radiator too.

I had a thermostat stick closed on mine. Bottom hose stayed cold but the heater blower for the passenger compartment was sufficient to cool the engine. I drove for many miles like that until I got round to changing the thermostat but sitting in my underwear with the heater on full blast and the windows down was not my passenger's cup of tea.:lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's all fine now. Just wasn't letting it get hot enough.

I'm still getting the temperature gage dipping to 70 after when I boot the car for a few seconds. I did bleed the system with an extension on the header tank.

·
Registered
165 Posts

I'm still getting the temperature gage dipping to 70 after when I boot the car for a few seconds. I did bleed the system with an extension on the header tank.
It's possible there's still a wee bit of air still stuck in there. A favourite place is up by the water temperature sender where they revised the design of the sensor to make it a little longer to avoid it dangling in an air bubble.

The temperature dip will eventually settle after time. Enjoy your booting! :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

I guess the thermostat hasn't had time to close again after a rush of cold coolant into the engine. :)
Don't overthink this :confused:. If your car doesn't overheat and runs at a fairly consistent 90 degrees or so you don't have a problem. :thumb:

Roger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts