Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, after a new motor (Pug Virgin) & quite like the look of the 308 1.6 Sport VTI (120). got a short commute so Diesels wasted on me but was after a bit of info on the 1.6 (120) unit, Decent motor? pull? any issues to watch out for? high mileage a problem?.

Nice looking car and reseaonable prices looking at 5k and under so may have to go for higher than average mileage.

Coming from a MK4 1.8T golf that is too thirsty & Road Tax becoming an issue so prepared to take a drop in horses for saving some dosh but 120hp sounds resonable enough - in practise?

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I have the 1.6 VTI 120 engine in my 3008 which is a much heavier car than the 308 and it performs well for my needs, I'm not a speed merchant but it will go if you want it to! The engine is a joint venture by Peugeot and BMW, it has a solid flywheel and a proper timing chain rather than a belt. Also, service interval is 20,000 miles or two years.

C

·
0 Posts
Timing gear is the classic problem point on this unit. Worse on the turbos, but still apparent on the NA versions. So bad that in the US owners are bringing a class action against MINI and in France DS 3 owners as petitioning the government to intervene and make PSA stop ignoring them.

It's also worth noting pug are dropping the NA versions of this engine from the range, so if you're buying new it could be a good time to snap up a cheap end of the line example.

ITV is a rare wise man, eschewing a diesel for short journeys. Much, much cheaper with petrol in th long term for his type.of motoring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Timing gear is the classic problem point on this unit. Worse on the turbos, but still apparent on the NA versions. So bad that in the US owners are bringing a class action against MINI and in France DS 3 owners as petitioning the government to intervene and make PSA stop ignoring them.

It's also worth noting pug are dropping the NA versions of this engine from the range, so if you're buying new it could be a good time to snap up a cheap end of the line example.
So avoid high mileage cars.....

C

·
0 Posts
Years ago I was dating a girl who's 207GT suffered after only 7 or 8,000 miles. Problem is the fault crops up and PSA know full well has it is and know it's going to cost a bomb, so they try to nurse the car along towards the expiration of warranty period with software updates to try and overcome the fractionally skewiff cam timing which is picked up by the various sensors, and then confuses the ECU causing the rough running. It's rare they'll authorise the dealer to spunk out on the require New timing gear.

Its a great engine when it's working, but compared to a similar unit from Chunda or Poxhaul it's about as trustworthy as Charles Bronson in a cell with a kiddie fiddler. The engine is much more numerous in MINIs so do a Binglehoo search and see what you think. As I mentioned elsewhere recently, it's the one engine most pug techs probably wouldn't own, and daresay pug can't wait to get shot of it for their new turbo triples. Tis what happens when you let a German manufacturer redesign a perfectly good, if aged, TU series motor.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

ITV is a rare wise man, eschewing a diesel for short journeys. Much, much cheaper with petrol in th long term for his type.of motoring.
Like ITV, I only do short journeys, that's why I went for petrol. Mine has done 10,000 miles and has about 19 months left on the warranty. I would think that as it's not a service item the timing chain would be covered by the warranty?

C

·
0 Posts
It is, but odds on they'll try and fob you with the software wheeze I mentioned above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right...........put off I am :eek: will have a search, A freind of mine did have a cooper S Mini & had a few issues with engine/cam chain that was a superchrged model (07ish) BMW/Mini played him over that one iirc but it's still going, didn't realise it was such a cross model unit

C

·
0 Posts
Yeah, was use in the MINI from about 2008 onwards , as was the 1.6 pug diesel. The older Chrysler engine was a rough old hound but relatively hassle free in comparison.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Timing gear is the classic problem point on this unit. Worse on the turbos, but still apparent on the NA versions.
I have read elsewhere on the internet that the timing chain tensioners on these engines are hydraulic and therefore allowing the engine to run for a minute or two when starting from cold is good practice to let the oil pressure build up before driving off. Not so necessary when the engine is warm as the oil will be thinner and pressure will build up more quickly. Do you think that's a good idea?

·
Registered
48 Posts
308 120 vti sport

Our car is doing only 24 to 34 mpg at best also it is sluggish around town especially from the lights, seems to have got worse we only had it 5 months. On the open road seems OK but not sporty or crisp as a 120 should be.

Is this the first symptoms of the timing gear faults. If you accelerate hard there is a detectable dry sort of camb noise which the dealer told me was the vt' I am not convinced.

Are they paying out on warranty do any of you guys know!!!

We used 50 quids worth of petrol in two weeks wife driving not me! That was 31 litres the car had just under quarter tank showing on gauge when we put this in' it only did 248 miles we had the light on as it was asking for more fuel thirsty or what!!!

Any advice would be great we have finance on the thing or we would get rid the worse pug ever and I have had loads of them...

Come back 1.4 hdi 206 we miss you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts