Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1.6 Petrol vs 1.6 Diesel (automatic)

Hello,

I am in need of your help to decide on the engine.
The 1.6 diesel is more economical to run but the service costs in the long run might be a bit more expensive.
The 1.6 petrol is faster and it's probably safer for the future with all these diesel bans talks that are going around. However I have heard that the 1.6 THP has some repeating problems?

I have test driven the 1.6 diesel and I wasn't really blown away, but for the type of driving I will do would be enough. But secretly I prefer the extra power of the 165 bhp of petrol.

Any insights from 3008 owners maybe as well?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The THP has issues with the timing chain/tensioners. Although it is easy to spot, the car will clatter when cold. Not that expensive to sort either, but if you buy second hand it may have already been sorted by a previous owner.

They can also coke up if used for tootling around like someone's 80 year old nan. Then again, that is a direct injection issue, not just a THP issue.

Neither was enough of a deterrent to stop me from trading my 508 GT in for an RCZ 200 THP.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I am buying new 5008 Gt-Line. The 1.2 Petrol feels too small for this car, the 1.6 diesel is worrying me for the future (I plan to keep this car for a good amount of years) so the 1.6 thp 165 sounds the most reasonable of choices so far.

Would the cost of servicing it be less, more or about the same as the diesel?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I can't see servicing being any more expensive than the diesel.
I just serviced mine, it did cost a bit as I went for fancy oil and spark plugs.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It is generally held to be true that you only profit from a choice of diesel if you do high mileage and long runs. If that does not apply to you, choose the petrol.

Short runs play havoc with the diesel's anti-pollution measures, and low annual mileage will not cover the higher purchase price with fuel savings.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the the replies. We re not going to be doing huge miles apart from the random weekend trip.

My main concern with the diesel is the longevity; with all the talks about diesel tax increases and bans in the city.

Would you consider the 1.6 thp 165 a "safe" choice for this car? Sorry if that question sounds dumb, I am just clueless mechanically and my dealer is also useless in providing concrete details.

·
Registered
4 Posts
power graph

does anybody has power curve graph of the 1.6 THP? Is the power increased when sport button is pressed?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think this applied to the old 1.6 engine with problems with timing belt etc. But that was some time ago.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here is a post by someone else on another forum in 2015:

"My experience of this engine is that it's brilliant, powerful and very economical. It's a PSA design that BMW used not the other way around. There were some issues with timing chains on the early 150bhp variants, most now fixed. The 155 and 165 bhp variants have improved chains. The 200 bhp version is, anecdotally, prone to misfires. No idea if BMW bothered to improve the chains as they were committed to a new engine".

·
Registered
195 Posts
If this is widespread why would Peugeot continue to use the engine. Surely this would cost then a fortune in warrantee repairs and damaged reputation?

I am worried, my car is for delivery Jan 2018. Is it too late to cancel?

·
Registered
14 Posts
problems appear after the warranty period or run at 100000Km. On one forum, I read that 1.6 THP is a time bomb. Bmw does not use this engine now, engine 1.2 was made to replace 1.6 thp, I think you can change the engine, just which engine?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Most of the owners on the RCZ forum have the THP.

Apart from the timing chain issue, and a few with carbon problems (mainly, like DPF problems this is down to how the vehicle is driven) there are very few problems reported.

Mine has 54k miles on, pulls like a train, goes round corners like a house fly and returns 39/40mpg day in day out.

I have no concerns what so ever about the engine, gearbox, electrics. In fact I have no concern with anything. Well apart from the fact it's filthy and needs a wash.

If DO I have any problems I'll rectify them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most of the owners on the RCZ forum have the THP.

Apart from the timing chain issue, and a few with carbon problems (mainly, like DPF problems this is down to how the vehicle is driven) there are very few problems reported.

Mine has 54k miles on, pulls like a train, goes round corners like a house fly and returns 39/40mpg day in day out.

I have no concerns what so ever about the engine, gearbox, electrics. In fact I have no concern with anything. Well apart from the fact it's filthy and needs a wash.

If DO I have any problems I'll rectify them.
how much mileage do you have?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts