Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hope someone can help with this one. I've just changed the head gasket on my 2006 307 1.6hdi. All gone back together ok, belt is all timed up ok, but it won't start. When I turn the ignition on I get the economy mode active in the display and it turns over really slowly, I've had the battery on charge overnight and tried jump leads but I still get the message in the display and turning over slowly. Is this why it won't start? Are they that critical about cranking speed?
I might try the battery off my fiesta diesel and see if it's any better.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Hi, hope someone can help with this one. I've just changed the head gasket on my 2006 307 1.6hdi. All gone back together ok, belt is all timed up ok, but it won't start. When I turn the ignition on I get the economy mode active in the display and it turns over really slowly, I've had the battery on charge overnight and tried jump leads but I still get the message in the display and turning over slowly. Is this why it won't start? Are they that critical about cranking speed?

Thanks.
check timing again and test battery and all connections to battery and starter, check engine earth connection

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update, I have plugged diagbox into it which shows the ecu is unlocked and the key is recognised. Camshaft/crankshaft is syncronised, I have fuel pressure.
I have tried a tow start but it sounds like a bag of nails when I let the clutch out.
I'm going to start stripping it down again, is it possible that as I lowered the cam carrier back on its knocked a rocker arm off? Would this stop it from starting?
First thing I'm going to check is the cam timing again.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,777 Posts

Thanks.
more details of what the original fault was and the reason for doing the dead gasket

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
more details of what the original fault was and the reason for doing the dead gasket
Reason for doing the head gasket was cooling system pressurising and coolant loss, I'd got a week and a half off work so thought that a good time to do it.
I need the car for work so need to get it sorted by the end of this week.
About to go outside and make a start on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took of the doser valve and its full of thick tar like oil, wasn't like that when it came apart and obviously wasn't like that when I put it back together yesterday.
Starting to get worried.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another update, I have checked the cam timing and its spot on, I have turned the motor over with the doser valve removed and it sounds like it's forcing air out of the manifold into the doser valve which to me sounds like valves, they were all seated ok and the motor turned over ok by hand. I'm starting to run out of ideas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've taken the cam carrier off and the timing marks between the two cams driven by the chain don't line up with the coloured links in the chain, I haven't taken this apart I just took it off as an assembly and fitted it back on presuming it would be timed up as it was when I took it off. No idea how the timing could have changed or slipped. Anyone heard of this happening?

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so I retimed the cams up, fitted the carrier back on refitted the belt, now when I turn it over by hand the engine locks up. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
forget about the marks on the cams and chain and just line them up old school with no4 cams rocking and no1 piston at tdc and try that. sometimes if the valves have touched the pistons the sprockets on the cams can turn as there are no key ways in them. if the sprockets have moved when you line up the marks the lobes will be out of position and you will need a new cam or two.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fitted second hand head and cam carriers and now running ok, the only explanation I can think of is the head had been skimmed before and when I had it skimmed it then had too much taken off it causing the valves to touch the Pistons which knocked the cams out of time. Any other explanations welcome.

Thanks

Calvin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts