Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently had a new reconditioned engine fitted in my partner, its 1.6 hdi. About 2 weeks later my turbo started whing and approx 2 weeks after that I had the inner core of turbo replaced. For about a week after that is was fine, running well but then the engine started during oil at quite a fast rate and smoking with acceleration. Now the mechanics ate saying their supplier won't issue another turbo under warranty as its the catalytic converter that's needs replacing. I am clueless when it comes to engines, does this sound correct? Can the cat converter be checked to see if its partially blocked and therefore the cause of the problem? Or is the burning of oil the problem. I've already spent £2500 and as you can imagine a bit reluctant to spend more but know that needs must!

·
Registered
9 Posts
A blocked catalytic converter wont burn oil, the oil has to come from the engine if from the turbo that means seals in the turbo are gone, Were they replaced when they changed the core? burning oil may not be the turbo problem just coincidental that it happened after an engine replacement, it could be piston rings or valve stem oil seals both are common faults with oil burning and being a reconditioned engine do you know that the rings and stem seals were replaced.. I know its no help to your question but these have to be ruled out before you can put it down to a turbo problem. A blocked catalytic converter will smoke but not too excessive and will only smoke due to oil build up inside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts