Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to fit a new clutch on to my 1.6 HDI 206, but I'm struggling to find anything better.
I'm going to keep the dual mass flywheel as I want to learn how much torque can go through that before it starts getting problems, plus it's currently not giving me any problems.

I've done a bit of research and I have to say that I'm not really finding anything.
The berlingo vans after 2008 had solid flywheels but with the same clutch from the looks of it.

I have found helix list a clutch for the 1.6 HDI 207 which is 228mm Diameter with 21x18 splines. Would the pressure plate be the same or will the holes be in a different place on the flywheel?

I guess my question is, are the flywheels all the same on the 1.6 HDI? Is there a standard clutch from another model that will go on? The 2.0 HDI seems to have the same size disc with the same spline pattern, although I am not sure if the pressure plate would fit on...

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Can't give you any wisdom on the pressure plate though everything I've read about the dual mass flywheel recommends this is changed at the same time as the clutch as they are matched. I would like to think that the clutch and flywheel would be the same across different models using the same engine / gearbox combinations.

·
5,669 Posts
Solid flywheel clutches are totally different design to DMF clutches as DMF clutches are solid construction as damper springs are built into DMF. Major increase in torque will destroy DMF irrespective of the clutch and pressure plate fitted.

They are tuned to engine output and have very little margin. Hence failure seen in 10-20K if you drive like you stole it and wheel spin away from the lights.

IF you are looking at major tuning fit second-hand flywheel from the van with damped front pulley cheap easy upgrade (I just did it on a 1.4)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments guys, it's useful to know that the clutch plates are sprung when there's no DMF, kind of obviously really but not until somebody points it out!

As to changing the DMF to a solid flywheel I've also found that the front pulley needs to be changed to take the vibration as you said, otherwise there is nowhere for it to go and people are getting cracked crank shafts (apparently).

So an update to what I've found which may be useful to other people:

I phoned Helix (and their distributor Mardi Gras motorsport), it turns out the clutch is still under development for that engine, they have more important projects such as ferrari clutches to build so I expect these are low down on the list. Also AP motorsport do not have a clutch available.

As I didn't want to use CG motorsport again I've decided to go with Black diamond. It will be a week until it's made and it comes out at £304 for a kevlar fast road clutch.

I am keeping the DMF as I actually want to run an experiment to see how much torque can go through it before wrecking it. I need to find this out as I wouldn't want to cause damage to anybody else's car!
So far the DMF is giving no issues, I always drive it very very hard (for the last 10K) as I'm usually doing some kind of experiment on it or just abusing it to see what the engine can handle. So far I've found that if serviced with decent oil it's a relatively bomb proof engine, no problems what so ever so far.... touch wood...

Steve

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As an update which may be useful to others, there are two flywheels available, Valeo and Sachs. When ordering a custom clutch they need to know which one is fitted. How you check without taking the gear box off I don't know?

The company who made my clutch found this out the hard way, a new one is being made and should be with me soon. I'll update on how it performs once I've bedded it in and given it a good test :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts