Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm startling to look for a new vehicle and i'm considering a used 2008/3008 Diesel.

Previously I have had a 55 place 307 with a 1.6 HDI 90 unit fitted with the resulting injector leak from a poor repair. It had 2 copper washers at the bottom of the injectors, possible from a 1.4 unit ( I believe these are slightly different to the 1.6). I re-torqued the retaining nuts weekly, renewed them with Genuine parts and still they leaked!

The breaking point came when the engine surged when it began to draw the escaping diesel vapours from the injectors into the air intake. so I am a little wary of these engines now.

mine had the injectors at the front of the engine, the newer ones have them to the rear of the block.

I have a couple of questions to the forum;

Are the later engines more reliable in this aspect with regard to the injector seal problem.

Am I also correct in thinking the root cause of the seal problem is caused by the injector retaining nuts which are made from Aluminium, the studs are made from High Tensile Steel and due to the different expansion rates of the different metals under extreme temperatures, over time the nuts will become slack and the injector seals will fail.

If I were to change these nuts for the same material as the locating studs, possible with a second nut to act as a lock nut, would this solve the problem?

One for the engine experts I think!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Dr Diesel,

I have a 1.6 HDI unit and the injector seals are leaking,

Now I spoke to a friend who knows these engines and he confirmed that where the copper washer seats onto the cylinder head,this was never machined properly at source when new, hence the washers failing.
At this very moment I'm having the seats cut and new seals (3 pieces ) fitted by a garage mechanic who has the correct cutting tool, if the injectors come out then its a straight forward job for him, otherwise its new or second hand injectors, fingers crossed

Phil.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
The seals fail due to heat and vibration.

The nuts are NOT alloy they are steel same as the studs and if fitted properly are fine continuous failures are due to my next comment.

The seats ARE machined properly its just when a seal does leak the seat can be damaged by erosion and if it is not recut the seals leak again this is what your mechanic is on about he may THINK they were not machined correctly but if that was the case they would ALL leak they dont !

As for getting the injectors out thats easy just run the engine with the clamps loose and since they are already leaking the compression WILL force them out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts