Peugeot Forums banner

1.6 e/HDI dpf clean/replace/delete & pass MOT?

14K views 116 replies 11 participants last post by  Beau 
#1 · (Edited)
Afternoon all,

Have read a lot of posts around this subject & honestly I'm not fully clear on what actions I should be taking given the assumed predictable dpf 'fail' circa 125 - 130k miles for which I'm in that bracket?

I also want the car to be able to legally pass the MOT in Jan 2021 and my mileage is likely to be around 135k miles by then..

I've read much about washing/replacing dpf's, but as I'm planning to do a remap I understand dpf deletion can be included but I'm wary as to how MOT passability could be affected..

Appreciate your tips and advice

Thanks

#3 ·
Thanks noddy.
I will be checking for sure as I'd probably prefer to gut the dpf from the can, get the mapping done etc, but concerned about MOT MOT passing

At the end of the day the junk taken by the dpf gets released over time during regens, so it's going into the atmosphere one way or another!

I also understand these engines are very clean emissions wise with or without dpf from factory..

Cheers

#4 ·
My own 407 2.0 (2007)has had a dpf/egr removal remap and was concerned about the 'new' particulat filter check last year..only to find my car is now tested as a 'turbo' model....so it was a breeze...the tester(I didnt know him) looked at the door pillar for spec and said 'after' a cetain year they have to check particlulates....perhaps a current tester can clarify that....although it still has to be visually intact....

Reactions: Torque69
#5 ·
Thats interesting noddy!
Well mine is 2013 so I'll have a gentle chat with the mechanics at the garage I use that also MOT tested it.., from what I can see/have read the dpf can easily splits on this engine..

#7 ·
What year is yours Sicskate?

I've not read anything that gives a date before/after re a diesel car with/without a dpf re particulate test.

Your remapping was just for dpf deletion or power/torque increase?

Thanks

#11 · (Edited)
You may struggle to get a emission pass with no DPF on a post 2008 car as it has a lower smoke limit of 1.5 or what is listed by the manufacturer if lower.

Jan 2014 onwards the limit is even lower 0.7 or manufactures figure and it is next to impossible to pass without a DPF fittted.

I know someone who had a bad remap and even with a DPF it failed as the manufactures limit was 0.3 and it was 0.55

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 486810
#12 · (Edited)
Thanks windy for the clarity of your reply.

Ok, so dpf must remain. I can always get as mentioned by noddy a dpf friendly remap, noting the caution from windy.

So, as per my original post what actions should I be taking if the warning light is inevitable for dpf replacement?
I had the PAT fluid refilled last year so in theory with a full to empty to full fuel filling strategy, I should be able to get 80,000+ miles out of that.

So, to the dpf.., wash or replace?

Have those who've washed noticed a change in performance?

If the replace route seems favourite for less messing about & perhaps best restored performance, from where is most recommended?

I've not checked with a Peugeot dealer, but guess they'll be by far the most expensive, even if their part is OEM original rather than aftermarket..

• Eurocarparts are £700+ for a new dpf
  • CATS2U are from £150 up for a new dpf..with 2year warranty..
The Millers and Archoil could possibly stave off washing/replacement for quite some time, but that 'replace' warning light is inevitable at some point from what I've read once over 100,000 miles..

The dpf has a real component service life anyway..., with or without washing that no light resetting will resolve.., whether its 130,000 miles or higher..

Appreciate your tips and advice in advance as to what route I should take, and if that should be proactive action rather than waiting for the light and taking action then..:unsure:

Thanks

#95 ·
Not sure if this will help or not. My wife drives around 10k miles a year in her Peugeot 2012 1.6L auto. e-HDI FAP. My wife has had the car for around a year now and journeys made are often on the short side. Twice a year my wife drives a return journey to Devon. When she does I add to a tank full of derv, some diesel particulate filter cleaner (DPF cleaner) and some Morris lubricants injector cleaner. So, hopefully while on around a 500 mile trip with a nice hot engine, everything is getting cleaned up nicely.

#13 ·
HI....I would keep the car 'standard' if all the re-gen systems are working as they should you should see no problems...and reading back to your first post you dont have any issues at the moment..providing the car doesnt just do short trips...all will be well..

#14 ·
Thanks noddy - appreciated!

Any short trips have become much longer & more throttle heavy since I learned last year how the dpf & regen works exactly.., for the reasons mentioned!
My wife knows a short trip to the shop becomes a longer faster one for the sake of the car..:rolleyes::sneaky:

When my cruise stalk arrives and I find someone willing to systems integrate it for me I'll probably ask them to check the onboard data for the dpf..
Not sure what else can be checked..

Cheers

#15 ·
If a remap is done right it should not impact DPF life. I have a 190 BHP on my 2.0 163 which now has over 125 k miles on the clock.

I have just had to refill additive and I reset DPF without touching it and it's all fine with less than 50% loading listed in diagbox.

I have also back flushed a few 1.6 hdi DPF with a pressure washer over the years with no issues

One of the most common failures I have seen (more so on TDCI) is pressure sensor pipes failing at the DPF end due to heat etc which then triggers a dpf fault.

Reactions: Torque69
#17 ·
If a remap is done right it should not impact DPF life. I have a 190 BHP on my 2.0 163 which now has over 125 k miles on the clock.

I have just had to refill additive and I reset DPF without touching it and it's all fine with less than 50% loading listed in diagbox.

I have also back flushed a few 1.6 hdi DPF with a pressure washer over the years with no issues

One of the most common failures I have seen (more so on TDCI) is pressure sensor pipes failing at the DPF end due to heat etc which then triggers a dpf fault.

Thanks windy - very useful.

#18 · (Edited)
I came here looking to post a new thread on DPFs and found this one.
I have to agree with hpc3 100% of the way, "if you cant afford service, buy petrol"
And windy1603 is also 100% correct, you may struggle getting a car through the emission test since in 2018 the authorities tightened the regulations on the exhaust gas analysers to catch people who had removed their dpf from the system. I spoke to them, email, in 2017 as they were looking for ways to catch the cheats.

I also hugely dislike the sellers of EGR blanking plates, it just promotes poor maintenance and creates all those vehicles you see emitting huge amounts of black smoke as they accelerate.

But enough of what I like and dislike, the real problem is how does one get their Peugeot dpf replaced for a reasonable price.
I've waited over 2 weeks for my local garage to re-open during this lock down period, I urgently need to establish from whom did they purchase the new DPF fitted to my car October 2018 for £287 fitted.
In 2018, the price for a non badge dpf from Peugeot was just over £400, their badge'd dpf was over £600, so I went with the pattern part.

A few weeks ago something in my DPF housing snapped off the tip of my EGT sensor, it sits just above the DPF, I fear it is the DOC, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst.
I am yet to establish if the garage disposed of my genuine CAT & DPF in favour of an all in one piece CAT & DPF.
If they have, they have thrown away an £861 DOC / CAT at today's prices, yes £861 just for the CAT and £701 for the cheaper DPF.
Fortunately my car still regenerates but not without an 'anti pollution' AND 'risk of filer blocking' info message prior to the regen.

Back in 2017 when I first got the 308 with 135000 miles, every time I started the engine, I'd get an 'info message - Risk of Filter Blocking'
Peugeot charged me £50 to tell me the original DPF was at 65% of its life, but not why I was getting the message or how to stop it.
After some research, they then charged me another £50 when I told them to tell my car it has a new dpf.
No more messages or warnings.

That can be done in Diagbox under the dpf section and PACK REPAIR.
One can carry out a regen, reset the fap fluid level to full and reset the ash / soot counter by telling the car the DPF has been replaced (just 3 things)

My car has 150'000 odd miles now and Diagbox has no way of knowing my DPF had been changed so can't give me a life span, it just figures it needs to be changed.

I wish I had kept my genuine parts and had the DPF professionally cleaned / back flushed.
Though looking at some used DPFs on ebay, the outside look very rusty as I'm sure my original was.

Euro Car Parts always have discount codes of 40% and sometimes 45% so their cheaper complete CAT / DPF is less than £200.
or this link below for £245

I need to establish what had broken my EGT sensor and why the replacement did not push into the hole, there was something there, probably the DOC.
I had to make a hole with a screw driver to fit the new EGT sensor.
Everything works but something is wrong.
The differential pressure, usually at 30 mBar at 60 mph is sitting close to 100 mBar.
Was my local garage supplied a poor quality dpf assembly or a good one that just fell to bits prematurely.

I need to contact them to see where I stand.
Some manufactures give 3 year warranty.

#19 ·
Some of the aftermarket DPF's have a smaller matrix (to save cost) in the housing and therefore less surface area which results in higher differential pressure

#20 ·
That's interesting windy.

If an aftermarket dpf is sold with type approval and for EU5 or EU6 respectively, surely it should match OEM operating parameters?

#21 ·
I think the only test is that it traps the soot when tested. Which it will do but it will become full quicker.

You often see similar with cats the original cat matrix is bigger than aftermarket. Both will pass emissions when tested but the original lasts longer as it has more spare capacity as it ages and loses efficiency.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#22 ·
That makes a lot of sense windy in explaining why such a big range in prices for aftermarket dpf's!
You pays you money and takes your choice!! All are clearly not equal.

Must be a good market in OE exchange type if the price is right..

#23 ·
Thank you windy1603,

Sorry I couldn't have made myself clear.
My car with the current 'pattern part' dpf had previously showed 30 mBar cruising at 60 mph. (3 weeks ago)
Something snapped the tip off my EGT sensor. (2 weeks ago)
I poked a hole, fitted a replacement and now my differential pressure sits around the 100 mBar cruising at 60 mph.
I'm 99% confident the EGT sits directly above the dpf and just below the cat.
Since I had to poke a hole to fit my replacement sensor, I assume the cat has dropped.
The new dpf was fitted in 2018.

#27 ·
As regards the question it all depends on the ecu and how it’s set up my neighbours Volvo has the same engine as a Peugeot but it’s not as easy to map out due to how the software in the ecu is newer cars will always be trial and error like said above if it’s working fine leave it dpf replacement is just a guide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I've read many references to avoid short journeys with dpf equipped cars as they dont get up to full working temperature.

I reckon mine needs approx 5 miles to be at 90 on the temp gauge, so am I right to assume that anything over approx 5 miles / 8 km's isn't considered a short journey?

Maybe a bit of a how long is a piece of string type question..., but be great to hear your thoughts & opinions :)

#33 · (Edited)
I've read many references to avoid short journeys with dpf equipped cars as they dont get up to full working temperature.

I reckon mine needs approx 5 miles to be at 90 on the temp gauge, so am I right to assume that anything over approx 5 miles / 8 km's isn't considered a short journey?

Maybe a bit of a how long is a piece of string type question..., but be great to hear your thoughts & opinions :)
I totally forgot to mention the following
It matters not that your car, my car, or any other does not get up to temperature when driving.
I regularly take my partner to work and come home with a total mileage of less than 4 miles, in 3 years I have never had a problem, not even in the winter.
Mentioning the lack of any warnings earlier, it is probably a good thing we don't have a visual warning of the regen, one should not have to modify their style of driving to accommodate this low emission technology. (And for the most part we don't)
Even the FAP fluid is hidden out of the way because we don't need to know about it until the level is low.
Only if the car is repeatedly driven on short journeys over many many weeks, or even months are we going to run into problems.
In my experience, the 308 will regenerate with a 40 mph drive over 10 to 15 minutes, I believe the drivers manual quotes similar figures.
When I get my brand new CAT & DPF fitted, I will update all the info written previously.
Before my CAT / DPF broke, I drove 960 miles to Paris, around the city for 2 days, lots of time sat in traffic here and in France. I have no idea how many times it regenerated but do know the average of the last 5 regenerations was up around 325 kms.
Today that figure is around 50 km, when I first purchased the car it was at 75 km (Average of last 5 regens)
The iCARSOFT and Diagbox tells one this info.

#29 ·
Hi Torque,
Studying my car for months now, 5 miles is not too far off the mark.
With my engine warm, I drove for just a minute or two and the EGT came up to approximately 180 degrees and just a few minutes more at 60 mph reached 250 C.
Minutes after that, i watched the EGT shoot up to 480 C as the car regenerated, and that was with my cheap aftermarket CAT / DPF.
The regen lasted approximately 2 minutes at which time the EGT dropped below 200 C.

#31 ·
Hi Torque,
Studying my car for months now, 5 miles is not too far off the mark.
With my engine warm, I drove for just a minute or two and the EGT came up to approximately 180 degrees and just a few minutes more at 60 mph reached 250 C.
Minutes after that, i watched the EGT shoot up to 480 C as the car regenerated, and that was with my cheap aftermarket CAT / DPF.
The regen lasted approximately 2 minutes at which time the EGT dropped below 200 C.
Thanks for your reply John, definitely interesting.
Even more so is your access to onboard data! Is this a readily available obd plug in job, or you've got a laptop hooked up?

Always wanted to know when the cars going into regen and have read about fitting an LED into a side mirror as apparently the heated mirror function is active during regen, but sounds like a bit of a fiddle!

Sometimes I've arrived at my switch off destination only to hear the electric fan has kicked in, which I've understood where the temperature gauge is normal to be an indicator of a regen under process..., I've then been in two minds whether to start up again and start driving but never have..

Reactions: 486810
#30 ·
Well today, 26th May 2020, I removed the heat shield to check if the garage, back in 2018, fitted a new DPF as instructed or replaced the complete Peugeot CAT & DPF with a single piece unit.
As I suspected, I found a cheap nasty one piece unit, cheap & nasty because it lasted for 11'000 miles.
I suspect, and will report when I know, the CAT part has dropped down and broken the Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor.
It still regenerates but something is causing an excessive differential pressure.
I can have a DPF 'load' of less than 4%, as soon as I accelerate too hard, the differential pressure rises above 230 mBar, at that point I get an 'Anti Pollution' info message & Risk of Filter Blocking' info message on my centre display.
Not being able to strip down the crappy one piece unit, today I have ordered a new two piece unit from Cats2u in London. British Made !
The CAT PT6111T was £160.78 + VAT
The DPF DPF050 was £91.66 + VAT.
Both have fitting kits
A very reasonable postage of £8.32 plus VAT, I have paid a grand total of £312.91

If the garage had done as instructed, I probably wouldn't be in this position since the Peugeot CATs (DOC) are super reliable. But if it had failed, I could have simply replaced the CAT for £160 + vat, not have to buy both parts and start again.

My latest info
DPFs with over 100'000 miles may break with cleaning.
Don't get a one piece CAT / DPF if your DPF needs replacing.
Have a look at Cats2u or give them a ring.

#32 ·
Hi Torque,
Heated mirror hey LMAO, but now I wonder is it true lol.
Well for some reason beyond me, Peugeot chose not to give us that extra little bit of info, but I guess for some people a glowing light may make them worry.
The electric fan could also be your air con, condensing the high pressure gas into a liquid. Yes I was once an air con guy too lol.
Retro fitted air con to new Iveco trucks and fitted air con to my house during the hottest day on record, was that back in 2003 or 2004?

I do know the glow plugs come on and for weeks I have contemplated fitting an LED to one of the 4 plugs. (one of the 4 brand new plugs I fitted a few weeks ago)
Yes the live data is available on the diagnostic port, the Diagbox does show the data but my new laptop battery only lasts for 60 minutes when powering the diag kit.
I have been using the iCARSOFT, 970 i think the model is and that too has been superseded. I really should get some discount from the UK supplier up Newcastle way.
I hang the small device over my mobile phone so that I can glance at the screen when driving.

I stopped at a shop when my car had just carried out a regen, the temp was still up at 470 degrees C but the particle load had reset to zero. That zero occurs a few minutes after regen.
I drove the long way home, it regenerated at least twice more without any warning lights, I suspect it was due to my differential pressure being too high.

I can't wait for my new parts to arrive. I have just received a text, the garage that fitted my crappy DPF in 2018 are open next week, that news is sort of 1 hour too late to save me £312 LOL.

#34 ·
Hi Torque,
Heated mirror hey LMAO, but now I wonder is it true lol.
Well for some reason beyond me, Peugeot chose not to give us that extra little bit of info, but I guess for some people a glowing light may make them worry.
The electric fan could also be your air con, condensing the high pressure gas into a liquid. Yes I was once an air con guy too lol.
Retro fitted air con to new Iveco trucks and fitted air con to my house during the hottest day on record, was that back in 2003 or 2004?

I do know the glow plugs come on and for weeks I have contemplated fitting an LED to one of the 4 plugs. (one of the 4 brand new plugs I fitted a few weeks ago)
Yes the live data is available on the diagnostic port, the Diagbox does show the data but my new laptop battery only lasts for 60 minutes when powering the diag kit.
I have been using the iCARSOFT, 970 i think the model is and that too has been superseded. I really should get some discount from the UK supplier up Newcastle way.
I hang the small device over my mobile phone so that I can glance at the screen when driving.

I stopped at a shop when my car had just carried out a regen, the temp was still up at 470 degrees C but the particle load had reset to zero. That zero occurs a few minutes after regen.
I drove the long way home, it regenerated at least twice more without any warning lights, I suspect it was due to my differential pressure being too high.

I can't wait for my new parts to arrive. I have just received a text, the garage that fitted my crappy DPF in 2018 are open next week, that news is sort of 1 hour too late to save me £312 LOL.
I read about the LED & heated mirror on here John, don't recall the specific thread!
Nah, cooling fan wasn't on for ac, it wasn't switched on anyway. I'm also an ac guy. I definitely read the electric fan does/can come on when a regen under process.
The icarsoft sounds cool.

Good luck your new DPF & CAT!

#35 ·
The icarsoft is very good for just £99
If I remember, next time my car is regenerating, I will feel if the mirror is on.
I'll also eat my hat if it is lol.

My AC is U/S
I topped it up myself and it lasted for a few weeks then stopped again, I have a leak but no dye and I don't have my OFN any more.

#38 ·
That sounds a fair price John as you seem to have great info.

I've never checked my mirror so interested to hear what you find. I do quite like the idea of having a visual indicator of when a regeneration is under process.

Having lived in the Middle East for many years I always like to know my ac works well. Most common causes for leaks in my experience access valves and compressor seals, the latter just perish.
My 308 ac works great when I've tested it.

How does hat taste lol?! 🤣

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.