Peugeot Forums banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Read Only
126 Posts
Thank you Torque69 for your comments,

Yes well spotted, 5 gears only 😭😂

BM Catalysts seem apologetic and sympathetic so that's nice.
They replied to my question above on 'run in'

"In response to your question. The nature of the matting means that running in is required after fitting in order for the vermiculite within the matting to ‘pop’ (expand) fully, i.e. it is a one-off requirement. We are looking at alternative styles of matting that, whilst more expensive to purchase, aren’t quite as sensitive to temperature in this way and therefore should totally remove any risk of brick slippage. Of course, as you will know, vehicles fitted with DPFs do require a certain driving style to ensure the regeneration process can occur fully; but that is a separate issue to the one you appear to have encountered."

So thank you BM Catalysts and for those that might be confused, my 'CAT' that I refer to sometimes as 'DOC' Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, is to make everyone aware, including myself, that there is a distinct difference between a petrol cat and a diesel cat. The CATs & DOCs are held in place with a matting, I think it can be seen in one of the first pictures above.
I believe it's there to shield the monolith from vibration.
There is the same shield or similar shield on the DPF too.

My DOC slipped after 11'000 miles and not on the first drive after installation.
The DOC 'slipped' like a brick and snapped my EGT & gave me an 'anti pollution' warning that made me aware something had gone wrong.

It's obvious that I'm not the only one in the world with this problem. Had the garage installed just the dpf, I'd still be going strong today because my genuine Peugeot DOC had lasted 142'000 miles.

Reminder of the DOC picture, one can zoom in too.

Attachments

·
Read Only
126 Posts
nice diag, you satisfied? has everything?
seems 150€, not bad.
Hi hpc3,

Thank you too.
I'm sort of satisfied the the problem is fixed but all this unnecessary expense was due to a genuine Peugeot dpf coming to the end of it's useful life and it had been replaced, together with a serviceable DOC, with a one piece after market part.
Had the Peugeot DOC been left in place 19 months ago I would not have had this problem.
150€ , no it was 312€ since the Euro & £ are about the same.

·
Read Only
126 Posts
I finally got to ask the garage "why was the Peugeot CAT replaced, I only asked for a new DPF"
"Because that's how the new part came"

i.e. A one piece cat & dpf manufactures by BM Catalysts.
And (thanks to BM Cats warranty info) that one piece unit had sat on the shop shelf for 6 months before it was sold to my garage.

Get the picture?
I imagine the sale went like this.
No we don't have a dpf but we do have a brand new complete cat/dpf (that I want to get rid of)

So a notice to people like me who want everything sooner than later, be patient and be assertive with your local garage.
Patience is something I lack and this is all hindsight.
I don't know if I would 'not' have accepted a complete unit back in 2018, I wasn't aware of problems with after market parts, exhaust parts.
I'm now aware and I say to everyone, keep your 2 piece cat & dpf as 2 pieces.

Back in 2018 a dpf unit was still cheaper than a complete one piece cat / dpf and I am all about saving money when it comes to hundreds of £, I would have waited another day to save over £100.

·
Read Only
126 Posts
Summary with new DOC / DPF.
Today 9th June 2020 the garage that fitted the one piece cat / dpf back in 2018 phoned to say BM Catalysts had refunded the shop and the shop had refunded the garage and they were refunding me £200 so I'm pleased BM Catalysts do indeed honour their 2 year warranty.

Driving for an hour today to pick up my N/S fold back mirror, I wondered when the car was going to regenerate since the filter load was up at 56.68%
The maximum differential pressure I could attain was close to 120 millibar at 4500 revs at that 56% soot load, no faults, no turbo under boost and now 'risk of filter blocking'
I came off the motorway and bugger me, the dpf was fluctuating between 550 Degrees C and 600 C at 30 mph in traffic; way hotter than previously recorded temps with a dropped CAT. (450 Degrees C)
The distance travelled since the last regen was last seen at 385.24 km. (239.337 miles)
The average of the last 5 was down at 25.68 km with the dropped CAT.

The average has now gone up to 128.41 km.
The 'weight of additive in PEF' is something I never quite understood.
It has always counted upwards slowly.
Since resetting the DPF to new with Diagbox, the 'weight of additive in PEF' went to zero. So that is maybe a poorly translated 'ash counter'?
After the successful 30 mph regen, that 'weight of additive in PEF' went from zero to 0.28 grams.
I looked back to 2017 at 135 000 miles, it was 115.84 grams.
New one piece dpf fitted in 2018 just after Peugeot had reset the system again. (never checked the system for 19 months)
The icarsoft pictures earlier in this thread show a massive 132 grams, that's before another new dpf was fitted, the dpf had approximately 11'000 miles.

New car zero to 135000 miles = 115.84g
New DPF 2018 135000 miles to 146000 miles = 133g I wonder if Peugeot did actually reset it, it sounds too high.
New DPF 2020 239 miles = 0.28g ash 1 regen. (I did reset the dpf with Diagbox)

Or is it the calculated weight of the FAP fluid that gets injected into the exhaust to help reduce the temperature?
That sounds logical except there is still that discrepancy of the second dpf with a figure of 133 grams in 11000 miles ummm

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Brilliant news on your refund John!! Well done for being professionally persistent!!
Presume you'll also advise cats4u too, especially as they sell BM Catalysts products.

Looks like your regeneration gaps are lengthening. Wonder how big the gap will be. Great to have so much useful data.
:)

·
Read Only
126 Posts
Thank you Torque69,
Yes it's good to have a GOOD 'REFERENCE' for all suspect dpf faults and risk of filter blocking faults.
Never heard from that other link you pointed me to.
His dpf was clearly blocked, zero doubt with the knowledge we all have here.
I told the garage not to hand over the money just yet, but it would be nice, I want them to fit the turbo oil pressure pipe, they agreed for Monday next week 15th June.
I simply don't want to crawl on the main road doing my car again now that they are open and the fact I'm now in credit :) :):LOL::ROFLMAO:
Today I received a new pressure pipe from CATS2U, the rear lower pipe that was rounded off.
Guess what, supplied directly from BM Catalysts and it is 100% wrong for any 308 Peugeot, what a surprise :mad:
I told CATS2U, they contacted BM Cats to have it collected and that is the only one they list. Does this picture ring any bells lol.
The garage will have to make do I guess.
Here's a pic of the new pipe, it should be L shape then go vertical up towards the alternator.
Did I mention avoid BM lol.

Attachments

·
Read Only
126 Posts
So you can see, as an electronics engineer and an ex auto electrician having previously worked for an Iveco Ford dealer, even I like jobs to be done correctly the first time round.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Thank you Torque69,
Yes it's good to have a GOOD 'REFERENCE' for all suspect dpf faults and risk of filter blocking faults.
Never heard from that other link you pointed me to.
His dpf was clearly blocked, zero doubt with the knowledge we all have here.
I told the garage not to hand over the money just yet, but it would be nice, I want them to fit the turbo oil pressure pipe, they agreed for Monday next week 15th June.
I simply don't want to crawl on the main road doing my car again now that they are open and the fact I'm now in credit :) :):LOL::ROFLMAO:
Today I received a new pressure pipe from CATS2U, the rear lower pipe that was rounded off.
Guess what, supplied directly from BM Catalysts and it is 100% wrong for any 308 Peugeot, what a surprise :mad:
I told CATS2U, they contacted BM Cats to have it collected and that is the only one they list. Does this picture ring any bells lol.
The garage will have to make do I guess.
Here's a pic of the new pipe, it should be L shape then go vertical up towards the alternator.
Did I mention avoid BM lol.
Good news you'll get your new oil pipe fitted. With or without the mesh / inline pipe filter?

Is the pressure/temperature so high that a flexible oil pipe can't be used?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
You'll realise John that I was thinking of the turbo oil supply pipe rather than the pressure pipe..😊, however for either application a flexible couldn't be used?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I’m sure the return pipe is flexible but where the supply runs I doubt it would work too many twists and turns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
126 Posts
Good news you'll get your new oil pipe fitted. With or without the mesh / inline pipe filter?

Is the pressure/temperature so high that a flexible oil pipe can't be used?
Hi Torque69,
I deleted a saved web page just the other day, there is a flexi for about £35, I'm sure the link was from a post here on this forum.
I'll ask the garage to check the filter and see if it's there and see if it's becoming blocked.
The manual said poke it out with a screw driver, nothing about replacing it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Hi Torque69,
I deleted a saved web page just the other day, there is a flexi for about £35, I'm sure the link was from a post here on this forum.
I'll ask the garage to check the filter and see if it's there and see if it's becoming blocked.
The manual said poke it out with a screw driver, nothing about replacing it.

Hi John,

I presume your garage hasn't had chance to check the filter yet as you've been busy doing your folding mirrors?
Good flexible pipe also available, but as exhaust inc dpf has to be removed perhaps no advantage over a fixed pipe.

·
Read Only
126 Posts
Hi John,

I presume your garage hasn't had chance to check the filter yet as you've been busy doing your folding mirrors?
Good flexible pipe also available, but as exhaust inc dpf has to be removed perhaps no advantage over a fixed pipe.
Hi Torque69,
So here is a micro controller programmed to bleep 4 times when the heated mirror comes on, it then flashes the LED on and off all the time the heated mirror is on.
It really needs a temp sensor on the exhaust that then triggers it because in the winter with ice on the mirrors I'm going to have a flashing LED lol.

Attachments

·
Read Only
126 Posts
I fitted the bleeper because I'm probably not going to notice a small led flashing, unless it is dark.
I had thought against fitting an LED but as I wrote earlier, after a motorway drive it carried out a regen in 30 mph traffic so would be handy to know what's going on.
The car is now boxed up except for the glove box since I want to correctly wire my dash cam.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,774 Posts
I fitted the bleeper because I'm probably not going to notice a small led flashing, unless it is dark.
I had thought against fitting an LED but as I wrote earlier, after a motorway drive it carried out a regen in 30 mph traffic so would be handy to know what's going on.
The car is now boxed up except for the glove box since I want to correctly wire my dash cam.
Hi guys,

Whereas this thread is a mine of information about the DPF, we seem to have wandered onto bleepers now.

I respectfully ask, if you wish to now discuss bleepers, you start a new thread.

Starting threads about only one issue helps members with site navigation and our site search tool.

Understandably, any member wishing to talk/need help with bleepers would not click on a thread titled 'HDI dpf clean' for example.

Thanks, been a very helpful thread to follow otherwise.

Paul

101 - 117 of 117 Posts