Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Looking for any advice. I have a 2015 1.6 Blue HDI peugeot 2008 that just wont start. It sounds like its about to start but doesn't.
Problem started with EML light on then went into limp mode on the motorway, I managed to pull over and stop the car, Left it for a few minutes and tried to start it again but has not started since. I have had it into some local garages and diagnostic code came back with the below errors.

U1F2E No communication with the engine management ECU fault from snap on diagnostics
It then went into a Peugeot dealer who then confirmed the issue and said starting time is too long, fuel pressures are correct , air intake looks ok, suspect timing issue. So this has been stripped and synchronisation has been checked.
Found BSI journal showing injector,Egr, Intake faults. Carried out compression test all 4 at lower end of the spec removed injectors all cylinders full of fuel and requires intak strip. So cylinder head was stripped and found intake clogged with fuel / oil. Still wont start after all of the above further diagnostics carried out and now new code P1631 which they now suspect that the engine strategy incorrect caused by over fuelling of cylinders. Suggested new ECU and then if that fails further testing.
I have now got the car back as i can keep throwing money at it in the dealers.

Has anyone any ideas what the issue could be ? Could it just be that it needs a new ECU ? I also think that the cylinders were flooded due to constantly trying to start ?
I looked up the code P1631 and found

P1631 Engine ECU : internal fault
P1631 Theft deterent Start enable signal not correct/Main relay malfunction (Power latch)/ Internal ECM fault / Configuration fault)

Any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Did anyone check the key is still coded i know a faulty key wont make it cut out but what was done after the cutting out may have lost the key codes

The cylinders cant flood as the injectors wont flow fuel until it fires

Dealers tend to just throw your money at these kind of issues i recon your initial cutting out was when the cylinders initially filled with fuel due to bad injectors which you appear to still have

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would i check the key ? the only test i have seen was beep test, The car does beep when the key is left in the ignition. There is also eco mode on but after searching the forums this would not cause the issue of not starting and possibly due to car sitting for a while and battery being flat from not being used.

I would have thought that a garage would test the injectors before advising ECU replacement but as you said they would love to rack up a huge bill just for labour.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Beep test is fine if its beeping key is probably fine so in that case from the codes you posted the BSI and ECU are not talking to each other properly but again that does not necessarily mean bad ecu

Did the battery go totally flat ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beep test is fine if its beeping key is probably fine so in that case from the codes you posted the BSI and ECU are not talking to each other properly but again that does not necessarily mean bad ecu

Did the battery go totally flat ?
You are absolutely correct when it comes to checking twice. The battery has gone flat. I think it might be worth testing the injectors over the weekend too if i get a chance

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You wont be able to do much testing of injectors if the ecu is not controlling them you need to see the ecu working before you will get anywhere sounds to me like the dealers are simply being led by the computer and not using common sense.

Your post is contradictory in many areas but thats probably down to dealer confusing you with what they said as low compression but pots full of fuel makes no sense

If that car came to me first check would be getting comms with engine ecu to check cam and crank sync then fuel pressure readings in live data your post suggests the dealer got that but the snap on scanner could not nothing unusual there snap on is overpriced gucci and does not read french cars very well :)
Also diagnostics is only as good as the operator there is a lot to look at not just read codes replace parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have managed to get diagbox to scan the car and i have attached a screenshot of the global test
20200504_131859.jpg
20200504_132049.jpg
20200504_131859.jpg
20200504_132049.jpg
20200504_132242.jpg
20200504_132252.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Worth noting that if you are using the latest DIY-er version of Diagbox which I believe is 7.74, this will not communicate with the engine ECU on your car. You will need the later factory version and somebody competent to use it

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
No actually you need an OLDER version this is the mistake many make thinking newest is best i use 7.02 i believe and i bet it would talk to your car fine :)

As for the OPs issue it looks to me like all the immobiliser side of things is reading correctly so it really should start

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tested all version of diagbox from 6.01 to 8.55 the peugeot 2008 only shows when updated from 7.02. The car has been to main peugeot dealer who have advised ecu replacement at £1500. So I have purchased a replacement ECU and hopefully I can get the data from the old ECU to the new ECU.

I have not tested the ECU earth not 100% sure how to properly test that.

While looking over the engine bay it has some white discolouration in places some on the lining of the bonnet and around the bulkhead and more interesting around the ECU so not sure if water/fluid damaged as the coolant is under minimum.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Sorry but i really doubt your ecu is your issue the screenshots say ecu not recogmised that does not mean not working but it IS reading so go into live data read the following
1 engine speed
2 cam and crank sync
3 fuel pressure

All while cranking

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry but i really doubt your ecu is your issue the screenshots say ecu not recogmised that does not mean not working but it IS reading so go into live data read the following
1 engine speed
2 cam and crank sync
3 fuel pressure

All while cranking
Hi
Looking for any advice. I have a 2015 1.6 Blue HDI peugeot 2008 that just wont start. It sounds like its about to start but doesn't.
Problem started with EML light on then went into limp mode on the motorway, I managed to pull over and stop the car, Left it for a few minutes and tried to start it again but has not started since. I have had it into some local garages and diagnostic code came back with the below errors.

U1F2E No communication with the engine management ECU fault from snap on diagnostics
It then went into a Peugeot dealer who then confirmed the issue and said starting time is too long, fuel pressures are correct , air intake looks ok, suspect timing issue. So this has been stripped and synchronisation has been checked.
Found BSI journal showing injector,Egr, Intake faults. Carried out compression test all 4 at lower end of the spec removed injectors all cylinders full of fuel and requires intak strip. So cylinder head was stripped and found intake clogged with fuel / oil. Still wont start after all of the above further diagnostics carried out and now new code P1631 which they now suspect that the engine strategy incorrect caused by over fuelling of cylinders. Suggested new ECU and then if that fails further testing.
I have now got the car back as i can keep throwing money at it in the dealers.

Has anyone any ideas what the issue could be ? Could it just be that it needs a new ECU ? I also think that the cylinders were flooded due to constantly trying to start ?
I looked up the code P1631 and found

P1631 Engine ECU : internal fault
P1631 Theft deterent Start enable signal not correct/Main relay malfunction (Power latch)/ Internal ECM fault / Configuration fault)

Any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
36 Posts
Forgive me if I am telling a chicken how to lay eggs but....I have Diagbox running 7.74, our car is a 2017 1.6 hdi 2008.
Now when operating Diagbox on the global test it comes up with engine ECU no communication or similar. but if you click on engine ECU it will come up with a further list of ECU model options, I have tried them all and there are two that do seem to accept comms ok...MEVD17_4_4 and I think the other one is also an MEV17. This may help, hope it does?

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is one of the reasons I changed back to petrol, garages don't seems to know what they are doing with diesels any more, especially main dealers.

A friend of mine had a 5008 with a screaming turbo garage quoted £1100 for a new turbo, after I tightened up a pipe clip all was well.

If they had fitted a new turbo they would have tightened the loose clip as part of the refit and everybody would have thought the turbo was faulty.

The point I am trying to make is its usually the simple things that go wrong, so before spending lots of money check the easy stuff, spend a few hours under the bonnet and check all/any connections are clean and tight especial the earths, not familiar with your particular car so you will just have to hunt the earths down.

Ecu’s going bad is a rarity especial on a 5 year old car.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Yes thats the point im trying to get across there are many basic things that need to be looked at before assuming a part needs replaced especially an ECU !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi
I have check all connections that i can see. Checked diagbox again 3 errors when reading EDC17C60 . I have attached some screen shots . i also have the full diagbox report.
1.1.png
1.2.png
1.3.png
1.4.png

P06B8 04 - Supplier fault code - ownership not referenced - value not referenced

P0017 92 - Starting Monitoring - lack of coherence between the engine speed sensor information and exhaust camshaft sensor information

P050B - Starting monitoring - starting time too long

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Like i said already we need to see the readings WHILE CRANKING those readings tell us nothing

1 - 20 of 27 Posts