Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to change the oil and filter yesterday. It was 30 degrees plus outside but thought never mind it will only take half an hour. But I was so wrong!

So drained oil and all ok.
Then removed oil filter cap and all ok.

But then.........what a nightmare!

For some reason I was unable to release the filter from the cap. So I went on youtube and could see others had the same problem and a guy showed how to make a cardboard tube to release the tabs. Ok its easy so I thought.

I made a cardboard tube. No good.
Then I tried with a thin plastic tube. No good.
So I had to resort to using side cutters to slowly remove the old filter bit by bit. All this in the blazing sunshine because it was the only way to see properly down to the inside of the cap. Got there in the end and replaced the filter, did the oil and all was good after about 4 hours work.

So now I am trying to make sense of what happened so it doesn't happen again the next time.

The youtube video showed my filter cap was slightly different. On the outside it was the same but inside mine had a short metal tube about 2cm which the 4x clips went in to, as well as to hold the filter. I can only imagine the correct way to release the filter from the cap is to use a special Peugeot tool or to make a precision tool from thin metal tubing.
Is this to stop customers carrying out their own oil and filter changes?

Anybody else come across this?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I just dug a large screwdriver in the side of the filter and levered it out. Just needed a bit of help. New filter fitted no problem so no damage caused.
Did take me a few extra minutes to find the big screwdriver though. And this was 3 days ago so not so hot.

·
Registered
15,102 Posts
The filters on older models fell apart sometimes i think the newer cap/filter is designed to stop this happening nothing to do with making it hard to do thats just an unfortunate side affect :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts