Peugeot Forums banner

1.6 BlueHdi Fuel consumption

9K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  alanray 
#1 ·
Could people with the above engine share what sort of fuel consumption / miles per tank they are getting along with the type of driving they do?

I do mostly motorway with cruise set to 65mph and average around 59mpg and about 500 miles to a tank. I kindve expected a little better so would be great to see what others are getting.

#4 ·
We took our 308 down to Bicester and back last week. 300 mile round trip using mostly motorway at 65mph (except the bit of the M6 where we're limited to 50mph) and the mpg readout for that is showing 72mpg. The overall mpg readout since I reset it at the beginning of the year (about 1800 miles) is 62mpg.

Those are all from the readout which I surprisingly find accurate. I keep accurate records of fuel fill-ups to the brim and the last several since the beginning of the year are:

mpg miles
58.9 1572
62.3 518
60.4 520
59.2 540

The car is used for quite a lot of motorway and long distance work. When used about town the indicated mpg can drop to mid to high fifties.

#8 ·
But there are so many variables, like which tyres are fitted, was it raining? and so on. Air temperature also affects things.
Good points.

OE fitment Michelin Energysaver pumped up to the high speed / heavy loads pressures. On 16" wheels (standard)
No rain
A very pleasant spring day.

The tyre/wheel combination is more important than people think. The tech spec page I have in front of me gives some interesting facts. Our car (Active spec) has a combined mpg figure of 88.3mpg but the Allure spec has Diamond wheels (still 16") and the mpg is a fraction worse at 85.6mpg. Statistically probably unimportant maybe it shows the trend. And maybe the result of more equipment fitted?

The spec sheet then gives figures for cars with 17/18" wheels (and presumably lower profile and maybe wider tyres) and the combined figure drops to 72.4mpg. That is important, I think.

#9 ·
I know my front tyres are not original, they were changed by the dealer before I bought the car. No doubt they were the cheapest available, and at 13k miles the original would not be worn out. I will look at getting more energy efficient ones next time. Same dealer also did a service, so though the oil specified is 0W30, I don't know what's in there. again this might have some effect.
But part worn tyres are not as good as new either.

I read the spec of 80+ mpg and was disappointed when it was only marginally better than my previous 308SW, old shape. But that was the 90hp engine.

#10 ·
But part worn tyres are not as good as new either.
Do you have any information to back that up? I have this feeling that new tyres are not as good for mpg as worn tyres. There will be a small difference in rolling diameter between new and old tyres, yes, but new tyres with a good tread will undergo more "squirm" which will waste power as heat.

I read the spec of 80+ mpg and was disappointed when it was only marginally better than my previous 308SW, old shape. But that was the 90hp engine.
Similar experience to ours comparing real world figures against our previous 90bhp Citroen Xsara. That did, in our (mostly mine!) hands, give an average close to the official combined figure of the time. Around town high forties; on a run low fifties and once, on a very leisurely 3000 mile tour round Europe, a best of 64.1mpg

Maybe if we can do similar tour in the 308 this summer I might find we can touch 70?

#11 ·
I might be wrong on that, but it does make a difference in wet weather, as there is less room for the water on the road to escape. So this takes energy. Of course it can also lead to lack of grip, but that's another issue.

#13 ·
Well, just got back from a trip to France. On the way out, motorway and autoroute, got average of 54mpg, not impressed. On return trip, over the 380 miles, I got an average of 60mpg. Same car, same route, same load. Doing between 70 and 80 most of the way (in France of course).

#14 ·
I find that the 1.6 HDI is extremely efficient when it comes to highway and country road driving, which is what I primarily do (90% more of the time).

Using the MyPeugeot app for the last year or so, I've been able to follow my fuel consumption statistics closely.

My average consumption from the start of using the app is 5,1 l / 100km = 55 mpg UK.

This also must take into account using the dubbed winter tires during the cold season, where consumption goes up to 5,6 l / 100km or 50mpg UK.

In the summer, my consumption averages to 4,6 l / 100 km or 61 mpg UK.

Quite often I see scores of 4,2 or 4,0 l/100km, and even as low as 3,7 during the summer period.

I drive with cruise control on the vast majority of the time, usually at 90 - 110 kmh. I love how smooth it is to drive the car using only the cruise buttons to adjust the speeds.

It would be nice with an adaptive cruise control in the future, but I can live this one as it is for now :)

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the efficiency of the 308 SW. It is a great cruiser and excellent for our family journeys!

#18 ·
I drive my kid to daycare each morning. It's a very short trip form my home to daycare, say 1 km (100 m more or less). The consumption reported by app on that short route is 10-11 l/100km (25-28 mpg UK). Always. Then I proceed to work from there and it's basically a start-stop city driving, light-to-light, with consumption varying between 5.5 and 6.5 l/100km (43-52 mpg UK).

But this short trip every day... amazing :/

#20 ·
Found this thread after it had gone cold for a couple of years... I have just replaced my 65 plate Blue Hdi Allure Estate (95000 miles) with a 15 plate (i.e. same year) BlueDHI Allure Estate (22000 miles) and am disappointed with the MPG I am now experiencing. Unlike many earlier posters, I have become quite used to getting 62 or 64 mpg, day in, day out, and 70 if I really tried (cruising at 56 etc). We do a fair bit of motorway work, but also short trips to the shops etc. The replacement car is only doing 56mpg, which seems a big % drop. The tyres are the same size, though different manufacturer (previously Dunlop, now Michelin). The replacement car is a slightly higher spec Allure (roof rails, front parking sensor, camera etc) but I don't see that that would cause a 12% drop in mpg.

#23 ·
No, but if you note the tyre details, manufacturer, tyre name and all those little numbers, you should be able to look it up on the manufacturer's website.

One quote -
Tyres are rated between A – G; A being the most fuel efficient, G bring the least fuel efficient.

The difference between each category means a reduction or increase in fuel consumption of 3-4%.

So you can see that poor rated tyres could increase fuel consumption considerably.

#24 ·
on my commute to work, which is 45 mile's in total, about 20 mile's of that is A/B road's,17 mile's in a 50mph speed restriction, zone,due to the roadwork's on the m27 (SO CALLED SMART MOTORWAY) i normally drive at 65/70 mph, i get 69mpg,if i were more light footed, which i have tried it'll go up to 72mpg,i'm happy with these result's, my motorbike's only do 45/50mpg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.