Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, bit of trouble with a 1.4hdi. It misfires and shakes the car quite badly at random times, a misfire/wobble is felt up to about 2000rpm and seems fine after that but is not always present either.

When starting the car from cold, once its moving off when I put it in second and try to accelerate it struggles a little bit then a very audible crack crack (two cracks) noise is heard from the engine and a huge blast of smoke from the back (not always) and then it tears off...

I realise I may have more than one issue here, possible injector trouble and maybe something else but the car drives and accelerates fine once its going but will still have that random pretty violent idle.

I have a box full of things for it, total oil, oil filter, air filter, diesel filter, timing kit and a head gasket (head coming off because some glow plugs are snapped in the head). have new injector seals and plastic rings aswell.

Just wondering if anyone recognises what i'm talking about or has any guidance at all? Could this be an egr issue, egr valve is about €60 so might be worth a shot, I had a quick look around vacuum pipes under air-box, some chaffage their but no clear holes...

No fault codes with generic reader, haven't had it on planet yet.

D

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't take the head off. Just beat in the broken bit into the cylinder and fish it out an injector hole. Thats how ive remove a few of them. F that removing head mullarky.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that david. I have a head gasket bought but will try a few more tricks before actually taking the head off. Two plugs have snapped in the threaded part so would have to drill too close to the threaded part of the head for comfort. I started another thread about it a few weeks ago. I should get time to do all this work in the next few days so will update.

Do the other problems ring any bells? The crack noise and blast of smoke on acceleration after cold start? Intermittant very rough idle?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So got planet diag done finally, no fault codes at all except heating circuit which was expected with the glow plug situation.

The only thing that stood out was injector correction readings, injectors 1,2 and 4 all reading -0.50 or thereabouts, injector 3 reading 2.50...

I've read a few posts here that say this means nothing but the pretty experienced mech with the pp system seemed to think injector 3 definitely needs replacing... and a leak off test wasn't required. Hmmm.

Can anyone shed any light on what these readings actually mean?

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
I had flow correction readings like yours 1 wildly different to the others but it ran fine and leakback was normal I did post a question regarding what the flow corrections actually mean but nobody seems to know :)

I read the same taxi last week and the correction figures were all much closer and we had done nothing to it !!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I replaced the injector finally. Planet correction figures showed #3 injector well out of sync with the rest. When I did a leakback test #2 (from left to right facing engine) had half filled its bottle before the rest had filled their pipes to the bottle! So I presume they are numbered 4,3,2,1 and correction reading on planet was a good indicator.

The injector came out very easy. Getting access to them is a pig though. Put new seals on the return lines aswell. Cleared out all the gunk in the rocker cover and egr pipes. Replaced the pipe between the air mass meter and turbo as it was in bits.

Car now runs like it should. Thanks all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts