Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve got a water leak - i first noticed the level in the expansion tank needing topping up a couple of times in the last month and a patch of wet when the car is parked overnight, poking my head under the bonnet i was met with the tell-tale odour of hot coolant, it`s dripping on to the exhaust....
I`ve investigated today and detected a steady drip which appears to originate from behind the cats` fibre heat-shield - cannot see any further than that, the most likely place for the leak would be where the oil filter housing bolts on to the block? The (separate) cooler-to-housing join/seals seems sound.

Anyone done this job - looks a right pain (as is usual on these engines) to get to.
What am i looking at? Cat off? Radiator out for access? Can`t see a bloody thing where the bolts are fixing the filter housing to the block.

MOT is due next couple of weeks, may just nurse it through until i know if it passes....

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Looking in the Haynes and it shows the oil cooler as part of the oil filter housing. Held on to block with 4 bolts and it advises to drain the oil. There are seals on the mounting face.

·
Registered
14,888 Posts
The cooler gets worn by the heat shield as its really close and if the shield is loose it cuts a hole in the cooler the cooler comes off on its own though 4 bolts if i remember correctly so not a big job

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, i`ve seen the info regarding the heat shield cutting into the cooler but unfortunately that`s not the case with mine as it`d be the easy fix.
S`pose i`ll just have to remove the cat, but looking at the state of it i`d much rather leave it alone - the join where it attaches to the flexi pipe for example is looking very tired and it`ll probably crumble when removed adding more stress and expense to this job...

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had a similar leak, but it turned out to be from the thermostat, which is slightly above the oil filter.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taking the cat off is easy, plenty of access(know from experience as I removed mine to check for blockage).
Donald, are there any gaskets i need to replace when taking the cat off - from the cat top join to the turbo manifold or from the bottom of the cat where it joins the flexi pipe?

·
Registered
14,888 Posts
No they are just clamped at both ends and 2 13mm nuts holding it to the block biggest issue is getting room to actually get it out its tight in some cars

1 - 8 of 8 Posts