Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So here's the story; I've got a 206 van with the 1.4hdi motor. shes an absolute workhorse and is close to hitting 200k and still sounding sweet!

however, just before xmas (i'm talking 23rd) I was back from work at 02:00 and had lost my only key. long story short i broke in via one of the rear panels and took apart the ignition barrel in the hope of starting it old skool hotwiring, stupidly in my tiredness not realising it would be immobilised. Anyway I gave up there and then. by some xmas miracle my keys were found the next day and so i jumped in and got on with what i had to do. In my hurry I started it without putting the ignition switch back together and a few miles down the road had smoke pouring out from the engine. This turned out to be the starter motor solenoid being energised and burning out.

So I fitted a new starter which worked fine, but wouldn't start. I didn't get the glowplug light on the dash which says to me that the car was still immobilised. I have an ELM327 ODB reader so using the ODBFacile software i connected to the car which connected without a problem.

I then scanned for DTC codes and got the message "elm error, bus busy"

I then tried to start the car and away it went with no issues. I'm thinking this was some sort of coincidence now...

I drove the car for an hour to get to work the next day stopping once with no issues atall. When i went to leave work that day it started up again without issue but when i went to pull out the drive it stalled.

this is where it is sitting now with the same not starting issue as before.. my reader will connect but again gets a bus busy message when trying to read codes.

i'm pretty competent with auto electrics but with no access to autodata and a firm belief that haynes manuals are useful for toilet paper at best i'm stuck blindly testing wires for unknown voltages....

i literally want to limp the car along for another couple of months while i repair my sprinter so i don't want to throw any money at this. i'm happy to butcher the loom if there's anyway around the immobiliser or any quick fixes....

sorry for the long story, just wanted to get the full picture across!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
You have posted in the wrong place !

The immobiliser and the glowplug light are not in any way related elm readers wont go into the immobiliser side of things anyway.

Glowplugs are not needed for starting either.

Do the beep test no beep no start

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry, to be honest I expected to see an option of where to put it, must have missed it. can you suggest where to repost?

I'm aware that the glowplugs are not needed for a start, however the light does illuminate everytime the engine successfully starts, there must be some link no?

The Elm reader was just on a whim, I thought maybe the mil light being on could have had an effect on the starting issue.

I didn't know for sure but i figured there was a link with the beep, I get a beep everytime but no start...

thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
First put ignition back together

Second after trying to start turn off leave key in and open drivers door, does it beep to say key is in

Third what happens when you try start does engine turn over just not fire?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts