Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m in the middle of replacing the heater matrix as it was leaking water into the cabin.
Unfortunately for me it wasn`t just the o-rings a pressure test using an old bicycle inner tube hooked up to the matrix pipes and air from a bicycle pump when submerged in the kitchen sink revealed bubbles from the matrix itself.

Anyway, while i`m doing it i thought i would give the coolant system a birthday so have drained and flushed.

My question is what antifreeze to put back in and how much?
Is there any `special` antifreeze i have to get or will any decent stuff do?
What`s the capacity of the coolant system?

The Haynes manual was fckin useless....

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I just use normal red coolant from euro car parts get the ready mixed stuff

If the coolant was neglected I'd do a very weak mix first run the engine. Then back flush the radiator with the pipes off

When you refill it will be like new

Enough coolant is about a tenner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I just use normal red coolant from euro car parts get the ready mixed stuff

If the coolant was neglected I'd do a very weak mix first run the engine. Then back flush the radiator with the pipes off

When you refill it will be like new

Enough coolant is about a tenner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plus 1 :iagree:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Question is then

This old fashioned blue stuff I have in stock ... is no good then ?
Had it in storage for years
Time to chuck it away ?

As I was thinking of topping up the coolant as its been in since my ownership
but I assume it was changed at cam belt / water pump change 100,000
It tasted okay when I bought it ( sorry old school )

I was made to test the taste of all oils and coolant so I knew which one was leaking ..... apprentice .... gullable ? many many years ago
I heard about the long stand ... etc
And when the fitter wanted the air gun I thought he was taking the p
So I told him to go forth ...... he wasn't very happy
He never caught me .... large workshop and I think I had an advantage of youth and not carrying a mel hammer

·
Registered
283 Posts
Think mine is overdue a clean as it looks muddy rusty red

I will look into seeing what is available to buy
I don't want to buy something I can dilute at home if I can

When you change your coolant is it easy / do you still have to have any tricks to bleed the system ... remember I had to have a head of water in a bottle on one car ... easy out easy refill

Reading other posts with a leaking heater matrix, is this what I am looking to replace in the future
Just if I shock the system with new fresh coolant is it going to be brutal and seek and destroy and create further problems / leaks ?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Think mine is overdue a clean as it looks muddy rusty red

I will look into seeing what is available to buy
I don't want to buy something I can dilute at home if I can

When you change your coolant is it easy / do you still have to have any tricks to bleed the system ... remember I had to have a head of water in a bottle on one car ... easy out easy refill

Reading other posts with a leaking heater matrix, is this what I am looking to replace in the future
Just if I shock the system with new fresh coolant is it going to be brutal and seek and destroy and create further problems / leaks ?
Hi

Not sure what car you’re driving if your keeping for a good while I think it’s worth doing coolant but your correct it can create problems myself I’d sooner know and fix the issue anyway better than fluid loss. If its an older model i would add a tim of radweld when you’ve changed the coolant

Think most cars still need bleeding if you have haynes take a look

:thumb:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys, i bought the pink stuff mixed it 50/50 and used about 5.5 - 6L in total to fill the coolant system.
I didn`t have to do anything special to fill the system other than bleed the air at the heater bulkhead point - no extra height/resevoir on the expansion vessel for example.

In addition to the removal tips here i`d like to add another hint when fitting the coolant pipes to the matrix on re-assembly - it took me two goes to get it fitted snugly.
The first time i put the o-rings on the pipes and when assembling they wouldn`t go all the way into the matrix leaving a slight gap twixt pipes and matrix housing, there`s not much room to `wiggle` them into position.
I took it all out again and then fitted the o-rings to the matrix and when i offered up the pipes to the matrix they slipped right into place quite easily.
All in all it wasn`t too bad a job at all, the swearing was kept to a relatively moderate level and the bit that stressed me the most was re-fitting a piece of console side-trim as working in a car footwell is always bloody awkward, isn`t it?

I also saw what looked like an additional electrically-heated element next to the matrix - i didn`t know i had one of those.
Under what conditions do they switch on - it`s all automatic i assume?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts