Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

Given my ABS problem has solved itself, I've started looking into two things which I fear are related.

First, there's a slight weeping of oil around the engine. I thought originally it may be the rocker cover gasket, however reading up on the following problem, I wonder otherwise.

When setting off I occasionally catch a puff of smoke out the exhaust, Whilst my girlfriend was driving today I could look out the rear mirror a little more and it seems to be when the turbo kicks in. Setting off was due to high revs (I assume) due to being in first gear. Reading up "turbo seals" problems seem to demonstrate this issue..

Before I bought the car, the turbo had been recently replaced. Where are the "turbo seals"? Are these seals about the mountings, or internal to the turbo charger? If internal, do I need to be contacting the guy I bought the car off and finding where the turbo came from (was new, and looks as such), if the seals are about the mounting, are these something I can replace (and that may not have been done properly when previous owner replaced the turbo?).

The oil level doesn't seem to be dropping very much if at all, however have only done 400 miles since buying the car......

This is on a 52 plate (2003) 1.4hdi 307....

Cheers!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a peugeot planet cable on its way, so can do the diagnostic once that arrives. I was trying to understand the seal bit of the turbo, though. Even if diagnostics say there's nothing wrong with the turbo, it'd still be nice to understand :)

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Hello again,

Given my ABS problem has solved itself, I've started looking into two things which I fear are related.

First, there's a slight weeping of oil around the engine. I thought originally it may be the rocker cover gasket, however reading up on the following problem, I wonder otherwise.

When setting off I occasionally catch a puff of smoke out the exhaust, Whilst my girlfriend was driving today I could look out the rear mirror a little more and it seems to be when the turbo kicks in. Setting off was due to high revs (I assume) due to being in first gear. Reading up "turbo seals" problems seem to demonstrate this issue..

Before I bought the car, the turbo had been recently replaced. Where are the "turbo seals"? Are these seals about the mountings, or internal to the turbo charger? If internal, do I need to be contacting the guy I bought the car off and finding where the turbo came from (was new, and looks as such), if the seals are about the mounting, are these something I can replace (and that may not have been done properly when previous owner replaced the turbo?).

The oil level doesn't seem to be dropping very much if at all, however have only done 400 miles since buying the car......

This is on a 52 plate (2003) 1.4hdi 307....

Cheers!
what colour is the smoke white grey black, have you tried taking the pipe of the egr solenoid vale at the front of the engine and putting a gold tee in it to stop the vacuum leaking

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what colour is the smoke white grey black, have you tried taking the pipe of the egr solenoid vale at the front of the engine and putting a gold tee in it to stop the vacuum leaking
I'd say grey, definitely not black, and I don't think white.

I've not done anything with the egr valve or solenoid - what would doing that achieve?

thanks!

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I'd say grey, definitely not black, and I don't think white.

I've not done anything with the egr valve or solenoid - what would doing that achieve?

thanks!
it could be the egr that is causing your problem so I would take off the vacuum pipe and block it this will disable the egr

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it could be the egr that is causing your problem so I would take off the vacuum pipe and block it this will disable the egr
OK i'll have a look what I can do ....would that mean the weeping of oil is completely unrelated?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK my cable arrived and managed to get planet working.

Engine ECU had two errors:

p0704 - Permanent fault. Clutch switch signal. No signal or not coherant

Apparently this is common and something to do with no cruise control clutch switch (car doesn't have cruise control, so not an issue).

P0402 - Intermittent fault. Air inlet circuit air flow higher than recommended.

Thoughts?

Cheers :)

P

·
0 Posts

Apparently this is common and something to do with no cruise control clutch switch (car doesn't have cruise control, so not an issue).

Thoughts?

Are these new faults or existing ones? Might be worth clearing them, taking car for a drive and seeing what comes back. When I first scanned mine I had loads of old fault codes that had never been cleared.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are these new faults or existing ones? Might be worth clearing them, taking car for a drive and seeing what comes back. When I first scanned mine I had loads of old fault codes that had never been cleared.
They were old ones I think (it said mileage was ~ 32000 km.....it's now at 118000 miles :)

I cleared them, so can check later/next week if any have come back....presumably/hopefully there shouldn't be any extra ones than that's there though?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought I cleared them....just checked and their still there.

Question though, they're still showing as happening at ~32000 miles. If the fault was being discovered again, would it not put the latest mileage there?

To confirm I'm doing it correctly (pretty sure I am, as there was an old ABS fault that I managed to clear).
Global Test
Engine
clear faults.
Enter mileage (in km)
it then says they have to be read. I press ok and then I can go back....it doesn't give a screen confirming though, nor does it appear in the History item....

·
Registered
4,777 Posts

Thoughts?

I take it you have not tried disconnecting vacuum pipe to egr yet

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I take it you have not tried disconnecting vacuum pipe to egr yet
Not yet, no....I was trying to find some more info on how to do it before I did, so I didn't disconnect the wrong thing

I did notice last night, however, the inlet to the Turbo (pipe going into the right hand side - I understand this is the inlet) was lose ( the jubilee clip was not at all tight), so there would have been lots of space for air to escape - I've tightened it so it's actually sealed now, it was foggy this morning though so couldn't differentiate between smoke and fog :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
hi, i have a 307 1.4 hdi as well and when setting off from a stand still i get a bit of blueish smoke or sometimes when sitting idling blue smoke will appear for a few seconds.

It doesnt feel like the turbo as it pulls properly and no blue smoke happens when actually driving the car at speed just when taking off or idling for few seconds. It sounds a bit similar to the problems you are having!

What is the diagnostic tool you are using?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi, i have a 307 1.4 hdi as well and when setting off from a stand still i get a bit of blueish smoke or sometimes when sitting idling blue smoke will appear for a few seconds.

It doesnt feel like the turbo as it pulls properly and no blue smoke happens when actually driving the car at speed just when taking off or idling for few seconds. It sounds a bit similar to the problems you are having!

What is the diagnostic tool you are using?
So, first is when going at speed its likely you wouldn't see it anyway, unless the smoke is really thick .......as it would be dissipated over a larger area....

The diagnostic tool I've used is Peugeot planet with the lexia cable

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Sounds like the EGR valve is getting weak and not closing properly

Turbo oil SEALS are inside the turbo on the main shaft and if they are leaking the turbo needs replaced as the shaft is worn this is what then wears the seals

A small amount of oil around the intake system is pretty normal for a well used engine I had the air intake pipe of my clio DCI today and it had oil all over it but the engine runs perfectly no issues and turbo shaft seems fine.

The oil gets in the intake from the breather pipe on the rocker cover

Basically if you are only getting small puffs occasionally then its normal but most likely coming from EGR not functioning correctly due to carbon build up or just getting old

·
Registered
49 Posts
So, first is when going at speed its likely you wouldn't see it anyway, unless the smoke is really thick .......as it would be dissipated over a larger area....

The diagnostic tool I've used is Peugeot planet with the lexia cable
Yeah that's what I though would happen too.

Cheers, I'm thinking of getting the local garage to run a diagnostics test on the car just to see what is actually going on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like the EGR valve is getting weak and not closing properly

Turbo oil SEALS are inside the turbo on the main shaft and if they are leaking the turbo needs replaced as the shaft is worn this is what then wears the seals

A small amount of oil around the intake system is pretty normal for a well used engine I had the air intake pipe of my clio DCI today and it had oil all over it but the engine runs perfectly no issues and turbo shaft seems fine.

The oil gets in the intake from the breather pipe on the rocker cover

Basically if you are only getting small puffs occasionally then its normal but most likely coming from EGR not functioning correctly due to carbon build up or just getting old
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll check the turbo intake shaft Jen it's cold to see if there's play in it if so I'll replace the turbo. The egr looks a little grubby and has oil on it so I think I'll change that anyway as it couldn't hurt.

If I need to change the turbo would a 206 1.4 hdi turbo be the same one as the one on my 307 1.4 hdi as found good deals through eBay for 206 turbos while the 307 ones are hard to come by!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts