Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

It seems the oil pump needs replacing, is this a big job ? I have taken the sump off and can see the oil pump but unsure how to remove it. Can anyone help ? I see four 10mm bolts holding it on but dont know how to release the chain from the sprocket - is their a split link on it ? Thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
After removing the bolts,(there are also dowels),its possible to move it around and disengage the chain from the sprocket,simple job now you have removed the sump.
Its still an odd job? nothing happens to oil pumps,unless someone has been messing with it?there is only one moving part,it either works or it doesn't. If an oil pump was faulty the engine would loose oil pressure and seize up!! bang!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After removing the bolts,(there are also dowels),its possible to move it around and disengage the chain from the sprocket,simple job now you have removed the sump.
Its still an odd job? nothing happens to oil pumps,unless someone has been messing with it?there is only one moving part,it either works or it doesn't. If an oil pump was faulty the engine would loose oil pressure and seize up!! bang!!
thanks for the reply, the history is this, its my daughters car and she ran it with the head gasket leaking oil - we went to a recommended garage and they basically screwed it up, did the gasket and cam belt and didnt get the timing right. I noticed they had also not tightened up the exhaust manifold and other clips and bolts etc. That said it started exhibiting low oil pressure warning light and erratic tick over, cold start was terrible. It then went into Peugeot who said the timing was out, they put it right and changed the oil filter housing and the oil pressure sensor along with another new oil filter. Tick over is still erratic but not as bad but they said they are 99% sure it is the oil pump that is failing due to her running the car low on oil. I am aware (my knowledge is limited) that the oil pump controls the variable timing valve so all seem to point at the oil pump (main agent advised pressure is lower than normal) . . . . so for me its change the oil pump to hopefully get the car running correctly so it can sold else it will have to sold as is.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Blimey what a horror story,someone has been messing.?
The garage that messed up should be paying for all this,have you spoken to them about compo? What on earth have they been up to.I think the oil pump is the least of your worries?.An engine running low of oil and low pressure can cause long term damage to the crankshaft main and big end bearings.
Get rid of it as it may go bang.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blimey what a horror story,someone has been messing.?
The garage that messed up should be paying for all this,have you spoken to them about compo? What on earth have they been up to.I think the oil pump is the least of your worries?.An engine running low of oil and low pressure can cause long term damage to the crankshaft main and big end bearings.
Get rid of it as it may go bang.
I know it's been a total nightmare - just debating if to replace the oil pump or not - my daughter will writing to them but getting anything out of them wont be easy

·
Registered
883 Posts
I suppose if you want to pursue its best to get a bit of advise first.
I`m no legal expert but I`ve been in the car repair business all my life.I would start with a chat with the owner of the business.With luck he may have started the business from scratch,is a tradesman,and takes pride in his reputation.He will be very disappointed that one of his staff has made a mistake and will hopefully do something about it.
If not its legal stuff? a written report from the Dealer who corrected the faults,photo`s? expert evidence? if your in the AA or RAC they may help? all that sort of hassle and expense.
This has already cost you a great deal of money.Also you wont get much selling a 307 with a suspect engine.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Proably only for parts. Around here he would have to take the garage to court to get anything from them (unless they decide to act in good faith, which is rare around here...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts