Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My wife's 307 start to give us some headache. It will fail to start occasionally but starter motor will engage normally. It sounds the same as no fuel. The other symptom is that rev counter would not work occasionally. Now this all points towards crank sensor. However, after replacing it car behaves the same. Measuring out voltage on cable to sensor shows around 3V on one of the pins. Does this sound correct or do I have cabling issue? Where do cables from crank sensor end up - fuse box under the bonnet or somewhere else?

Did read somewhere it should be around 5V on sensor. Being 3v with intermittent rev counter does not surprise me that car won't start. If somebody could point me to crank schematics it would be much appreciated.

BTW got Peugeot plannet. The fault code were about engine revs but will read them again.

Any help welcome.Thanks

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
If you have cam or crank sensor issues then you should be able to see on PP2000 that you don't have synch. If PP2000 shows there is synch your issue may be elsewhere. You can also see the sensor voltage in PP2000.

Every session I've done shows the sensor voltage at 5V

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fault codes point towards ECU ???

U1003
P0500
U1118

Also, rev counter was not showing anything while PP2000 was showing correct revs. I does look like ECU can see correct revs but not sending it to rev counter. Is it the ECU under the bonnet?

That ECU seems to have bunch of blue and white connectors while wires going to cranks are orange, red and white meaning they go somewhere else. Wonder if somebody could perhaps en-light me with diagram perhaps.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I dont understand much about these systems but could this possibly be a BSI issue?

if PP2000 is seeing the values then the sensors must be ok and its just not communicating to the modules that control the displays.

this isnt specific to peugot its all i could find on that fault code

Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction

Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com
U1118 Peugeot CAN Data Bus/Multifunction Control Module Communication Failure
im only guessing but can data bus may be an issue with diagnostic software talking to the ECU/BSI and not specific to errors logged by the ecu. ive never seen a U code.

the 3v is a red flag but i dont understand electronics enough to know why

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply

I've used PP2000 to diag this. It is very strange as it would start cold and 30 sec in the rev counter will stop. PP2000 would still see revs on diags. I can start it after providing I don't lock the car and open it. If that done then some time needs to pass before it could start again.

Sounds like BSI? It is behind glow box, is it? I've checked last night BSM module. Nothing corroded at the bottom. SInce BSI controls rev counter it point toward BSI unless it fails to get signal form ECU.

Everything else that BSI controls seems to be OK. This is puzzling because usually when they go they go big.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did not try BSI reset. Apparently, this is the procedure:
1. Disconnect the diagnostic tool.
2. Put the driver’s window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all
equipment is switched off.
3. Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the
ignition.
4. Wait for 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery and wait
15 seconds.
5. Reconnect the vehicle battery, wait a further 10 seconds (do
not open doors.)
6. Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.
7. Switch on the ignition and check system’s functionality.
8. Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds.
9.remove key open & close door test central locking system
10. Start the engine and complete the system’s check.

Will try tonight if this is correct.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I did not try BSI reset. Apparently, this is the procedure:
1. Disconnect the diagnostic tool.
2. Put the driver’s window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all
equipment is switched off.
3. Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the
ignition.
4. Wait for 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery and wait
15 seconds.
5. Reconnect the vehicle battery, wait a further 10 seconds (do
not open doors.)
6. Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.
7. Switch on the ignition and check system’s functionality.
8. Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds.
9.remove key open & close door test central locking system
10. Start the engine and complete the system’s check.

Will try tonight if this is correct.
this is the procedure ive found linked in other threads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've done that a few times but no joy. Done test of BSI via Peugeot Planet. It moves rev counter and everything on dash as expected. PP tells me there is no faults with BSI. However, car has gone worse. It does not start now.

The same 3 errors remain which PP translates as:

Remote parameter fault. CAN communication absence of built-in interface communication U1118
Remote parameter fault. CAN communication no communication U1003
Remote parameter fault. CAN communication Engine ECU dead P0500

Now I am desperate to get it going

Prior to this it was running perfect, had new injectors and full set of tyres with tracking. I would be sad to let it go. If it is engine ECU - do I need to get the same model? Will it work without any coding or do I need matching BSM and BSI with speedo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Used PP to test BSI - all OK
when testing engine ECU all OK

Looks like Engine ECU and BSI are not talking somehow.

If I need to go down the root of replacing ECUs: does anybody know what needs to go together? There is BSI with speedo closter, BSM and engine ECU

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Worth remaking the minor earths on the front chassis legs and I would open and close the connectors between engine fusebox and BSI just in case water has been getting in (replacement screen?).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The screen was replaced about 2 years ago. Is it the cable connected to BSM?

Figured out if I don't lock the car it start every time. The rev-counter dies after 30is seconds and it displays STOP but it runs.

Now this defo sounds like connection between engine ECU and BSI. Beside CAN they may have some other lines which are not connected. I would very much apprichiate if someone could tell me where to get wiring diagram. Peugeot Planet has one but it is asking me to log on. Don't have credentials for online log on. Maybe someone with more experience in PP could point me how to get it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Very hard to work out how the wiring works between BSI and engine ECU and fusebox because there are only a limited no of wires because of CAN and the wiring diagram just shows them linking the chips on the respective boards. Maybe wiggle the connectors when the fault occurs to see if you can trace a bad contact.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, this is very strange and it leaves me puzzled now. Car start every time if I don't lock the door with remote. The rev counter would not work or work for 30 seconds exactly. There is clear STOP displayed as engine ECU and BSI don't talk. However, PP is happy to communicate to both ECUs.

If I lock the door then it would fail to start. Takes removing battery for a while and some magic to get it going again.

Any advice?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anyone with Peugeot electric experiance please

as described above non-starter if door is locked then unlocked. Once when starts if door does not get locked it will start every time. The faults recorded on PP are

Remote parameter fault. CAN communication absence of built-in interface communication U1118
Remote parameter fault. CAN communication no communication U1003
Remote parameter fault. CAN communication Engine ECU dead P0500

I don't think this is the first 307 with this fault . Someone must have seen this before. Please....:confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is 3 wire sensor, already replaced from another running car. I've monitor cranking on PP and as soon as engine crank start it claims to be in sync with CAM sensor.

What I cannot understand why would locking of the car affect it? I think it is something that car checks only after car is locked. Otherwise, if that stage is passed it can do without it.

It starts every time if car was not locked. I've locked it last night only to work out how to get it out of that state - so currently non starter.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just some random guesses,

What is the difference between a car turned of with the door locked and a car turned off with the door unlocked. Immobilizer light flashes alarm system active if equipped. Some other stuff maybe. These circuits are active.

As is my understanding

3 wire hall effect sensor, digital signal square wave. Don't know if you can see this on PP as i don't have PP.

One wire is ground.
One wire is reference dc volts (5 volts i guess coming from ecu)
One wire is signal, as the sensor gets pick up from teeth this voltage changes.

I would back probe the sensor, start the car and see what voltages you get, do voltage drop test for ground.

Then lock the car and repeat. See what the difference is.

Injector opening times are controlled by ecu, if it does't see rpm then injectors stay shut (i think, not 100% percent)

I know injectors are a pain to get at on these 1.4, but i guess they are not getting signal hence not opening pulse of zero.

Has the car had any repair work done? Any electrics added.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for reply. Car did not have any work done since October. I can monitor REVs in PP while car is running and revs on dash are zero which in my mind would take the blame of Crank sensor away. Also, I have replace it now with another one of known working car with no help. I may try tonight monitor cranking while engine does not start.

However, I recall seeing 3v rather then 5V on sensor??? Beside revs missing engine temp is gone as well. Not sure if Engine ECU would see this or BSI. Will try to check tonight

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't think it is the sensor as well, hopefully it will be a wiring problem and not a bsi ecu problem.

Back probing sensor and actual seeing voltages sometimes helps me figure stuff out, sometimes you can't fix everything with a scan tool. Long live the multimeter/oscilloscope

If you attach negative to chassis and use red lead of multimeter, one wire should read -14something volts alternator voltage, this is ground, one wire should read a permanent stable +5 volt reference wire coming from ecu, and the third wire on my multimeter read +blurry and unreadable this is signal wire going to ecu. If you can graph it it would be a square wave.
3v may be your signal wire maybe?

I would not like to condemn computer until checking everything else.

For the central locking is there a relay or is it all down to the bsi, if there is a relay where do those wire go, multiplexing is fun:mad:

When you leave keys in ignition and open the door do you get bong after having the car locked?

When the car wont start can you carry out actuator tests with pp?

If you can then i would say it may not be your computers, maybe:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts