Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 53 plate Peugeot 206SW 1.4 HDi went for MOT last month, they were reving it like mad and boss said taking it for a run as failed due to smoke emissions, (it's approaching 24K miles but due to illness only do about 1200 miles a year for shopping now) when he came back from run it passed but only just, he said needs a really good blow out as a valve and cataliser (honeycomb) badly sooted up, he suggested driving it a bit harder and giving a good blow out when hot should help clear it out. I have noticed the mpg has dropped from about 53mpg to about 44mpg over last 2 years, (I keep a chart of fuel & miles) I changed air filter thinking it was at fault but could the sooting up be the mpg problem and could the cataliser suffer permanent damage or will a hot blowout revive it? When I first got it I got slightly better mpg on local trips than at 70 mph on a run, I guessed the bigger engine would be the reverse but most of my use is local plus 1.4 HDi cheap to tax and insure so suits my need for economy. I always use Millers Diesel Clean Plus Additive every time I fill up, 1ml per litre.
I would greatly appreciate all your opinions.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi Contax,
Every diesel needs a good hard driving every so often....:)
I'd say the fact that your only doing short journeys and maybe the engine
never gets that hot so it could cause the cat to block up.
This engine has'nt got a dpf so you don't have to worry about that..:)
Maybe every few days when the engine is up to normal running temp
take the car on the motorway and drive it on ....around 3000rpm-3500rpm in 4th for a few minutes may help it....I'm not sure if the cats can be removed and cleaned...:confused:
Ron.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's Now As clean As a Whistle MOT Tester Said

Thanks Ron, between MOT's I have only done 1,150 miles but when engine warmed up I kept giving it some boot in lower gears, reduced my mpg down to 30 mpg at times and before going to MOT garage I took it for a 40 mile spin down motorway mostly in 4th and then bursts in 3rd doing 4000 to 4500 rpm, I got to MOT just on time so he took it striaght in, it passed without a comment sheet, just a bit of surface rust on outer skin where strap goes round middle of rear box, emissions the lowest in the 5 MOT's it has had, MOT tester said it's perfect so no need to worry about a new CAT or EGR valve, what a relief I had started looking to swap it if still problems with black smoke but now I will keep it and spend a bit on it when it needs it. Thought I would let you all know so if you have the problem it's worth wasting a bit of gas to clean it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts