Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning all,

I'm new here and hoping to benefit from your combined wisdom :D

We recently acquired a 53 plate 1.4 hdi 307. It has a really frustrating intermittent fault. Maybe 1 in 8 trips are affected. Once started, the whole trip will be the same. It seems to have 3 'modes'. Absolutely gutless so that top speed is 55 and it takes an age to get there. Full performance where everything is fine (top speed of 92, as advertised) and one somewhere in the middle.

I swapped the mass air flow meter as I read that can cause this type of fault, but no difference.

It came to a head the other day while my wife was driving to work. The car was in gutless mode and then a lot of "smoke" came from under the bonnet. She called Green Flag and the recovery driver said he thought it might be the DPF. The car was taken to a local garage who test drove it and could find no fault and also said that the car doesn't have a DPF!!

So, does this car have a DPF? I hope not as they seem to be nothing but trouble! And can anyone suggest what might be causing such a problem?

EDIT - Not getting any warning lights or messages...

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron. I will take a look. I had considered the Cat but thought that would more likely cause a solid fault... The Cat is the big lump just behind the radiator, right? Also, can you confirm there's no DPF on this vehicle? Cheers.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Morning all,

I'm new here and hoping to benefit from your combined wisdom :D

We recently acquired a 53 plate 1.4 hdi 307. It has a really frustrating intermittent fault. Maybe 1 in 8 trips are affected. Once started, the whole trip will be the same. It seems to have 3 'modes'. Absolutely gutless so that top speed is 55 and it takes an age to get there. Full performance where everything is fine (top speed of 92, as advertised) and one somewhere in the middle.

I swapped the mass air flow meter as I read that can cause this type of fault, but no difference.

It came to a head the other day while my wife was driving to work. The car was in gutless mode and then a lot of "smoke" came from under the bonnet. She called Green Flag and the recovery driver said he thought it might be the DPF. The car was taken to a local garage who test drove it and could find no fault and also said that the car doesn't have a DPF!!

So, does this car have a DPF? I hope not as they seem to be nothing but trouble! And can anyone suggest what might be causing such a problem?

EDIT - Not getting any warning lights or messages...

Thanks in advance...
defo sounds like a cat problem i would just take off smash out and refit i would get some new clamps to make things easier when refitting

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've had 3 of the 1.4hdi engines across the 206 and 307 all had cat issues I had slight loss of power between 2 and 3 thousand rpm in my 206 van last week, it should push you back in the seat but didn't that was the cat

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Performance issues again!

Hi again folks.

Sorry to drag up this old thread. I (or rather my tame mechanic!) knocked out the cat as suggested and BINGO, that solved the problem.

Everything has been fine for the last couple of years but very similar symptoms are back again :(

Intermittently almost no performance below 2000 rpm. Can be quite dangerous at roundabouts etc!

Any ideas? It's not the cat, obviously as it's not there any more.

I've replaced the air flow sensor but that's made no difference.

Also put injector cleaner through a couple of times.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. This is driving me insane!

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fuel filter was changed 12 months ago.

I'm beginning to think it might be the EGR valve. The symptoms seem to fit.

What are people's thoughts about blanking it off on this engine?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've the egr valve on my 1.4hdi.

It's a very easy and cheap job to do, but make sure you buy a plate with the slots in.

With the slots you can just loosen the 2 bolts and slot it in without removing anything.

Didn't cause any fault lights or downsides in my opinion.

If anything I think it reduced the turbos lag a tiny bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts