Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 peugeot 307 1.4l hdi. The clutch went on it and I'm trying to buy a replacement kit and change it myself ...only problem there are 2 different diameters 230mm & 200 mm.. How can I tell which one I need? Any help?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I changed the gearbox collar well worth the £13 and keeps the job moving on

I changed the gearbox oil too and a new slave cylinder

Its been two years maybe three and never had an issue

I bought a LUK three piece clutch and well advised to buy this than a cheaper option

Not a job I want to do again for a defective cheap clutch

cannot understand why the vauxhaul astra clutch was never brought out as a standard thing

Two people could change a clutch on a 4 speed box in 10 minutes

Mmm

Maybe I have just answered my own question … took an hour when they added the fifth gear

ARRGGGGGHHHH

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I cannot understand why the vauxhaul astra clutch was never brought out as a standard thing

Two people could change a clutch on a 4 speed box in 10 minutes

Mmm

Maybe I have just answered my own question … took an hour when they added the fifth gear

ARRGGGGGHHHH
Simple; production costs, that's why. Vauxhall/Opel were trying to get more share o the company fleet market when the Cavalier/Astra/Nova were launched. Part of the sales pitch to fleet operators was low price maintenance, an hour to change a clutch on their cars, as opposed to half a day for comparable Fords/ Clutches along with many other components didn't last as long as they used to, it was quite likely a company car driver would have one or two clutches over a 3 year/100k mile lease. I remember you could buy replacement headlamp glasses for Cavaliers as well, instead of the whole assembly which probably involves removing the bumper to fit nowadays......
Bur fleet sales account for much less market share today, and it costs less to make a car without a facility for drawing back the first motion shaft. In fact ease of access for maintenance seems to be never given a thought on most modern cars.

Roger.

·
6,304 Posts
The official reasons given to us at the factory was also with the increase torque levels as the engines improved they needed the added strength in the bellhousing from not having the notch.

They also changed to a "Pot" clutch which was recessed into the flywheel which made it too big to get out of the notch.

There where some vehicles on the change over which had the old bell housing and new clutch (The bodge at the plant was too loosen the gearbox bolts and wedge the bell housing back and you could at a push get the clutch out if it was faulty).

I'm sure cost was also a factor long term and maybe the planned introduction of the concentric slave cylinder

·
Registered
296 Posts
clansman how long did it take you to do the Peugeot clutch?
A steady day

To be honest a day of my life I cant get back but saved £450 a local garage was going to charge when he had time as had a back log of cars in

Trouble is with me I buy a lot of stuff in advance just in case I get stuck as no local motor factors etc around me

I was told you can spin it ? in situ and get your hands in ??

I wanted to change my os drive shaft anyway as it had worn CV boots and it was cheaper and easier to buy the whole shaft £60 think I was quoted £24 for a boot and 36 for the inner

Could have been far quicker … but 18mm spanners come on
and looking for tools

Just took it steady .. the more lumps you take off the access is better
I also changed the gearbox mount

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had mine done a few months ago, I didn't have the time to do it myself so I paid a garage £300 for a LUK one fitted.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did you take the front off?
No

no body work was removed ( unless you have that engine undertray )
I have mine .. but its still behind the shed

Should really put it back on as I have an annoying oil drip on the drive
Rocker box breather into turbo intake hose and where the joint is leaks

The only thing is I like to jack up my cars really high and support them on big heavy wooden sleeper blocks not a fan of steel on steel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts