Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be back yet again, but I'm trying to narrow down the various issues with my 1.4 Diesel. I have Haynes, but it's a bit vague, particularly with wiring diagrams and electrical issues.

According to the driver's handbook, I have glow-plugs and a little orange "coil-shaped" warning light on the dashboard. Well - I don't have the warning light.
According to Haynes, I have glow plugs.

Handbook is also a bit vague about fuses - F10 / 30A is diesel solenoid valves and heaters, and Maxifuse 9 is Heating Unit (Diesel) which I assume is something different for sub-zero climates ?

Should I have that warning light, and if not, which fuse(s) should I be checking ? I'm a very long way from anyone with "proper" diagnostics, otherwise I would be happy to pay for an hour or so of expert assistance.

Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I presume you have a starting issue as you talk about glow plugs if that's the case then it's probably not the glow plugs

What is the problem you are having

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Morning Trustme - thanks for responding.

1.4 Diesel.
Car sometimes starts "on the button" - sometimes won't start at all. When this issue first began, I changed the diesel filter and checked all the hoses etc. No sign of any leaks or air in delivery pipes.
Had to abandon the car in Bath just before Christmas - just couldn't get it running. Went back on Friday with a spare battery and various other tools. Eventually - after lots of attempts (at least ten) the engine started. Drove back home with no (apparent) problems but daren't stop the engine !

Tried to start it again yesterday and it was not happy - I noticed that there was no little "coil" (glow-plug) indicator on the dashboard. It eventually started but took a lot of attempts.
Went out this morning - key in ignition - orange "coil" light on dash for about 2 seconds - started on first turn of key.

Haynes is useless for wiring schematics and the owners handbook is a bit vague about which fuse does what. I have had enough diesel engines in cars, tractors and boats in the past to know that glow-plug problems can be an issue in cold weather, but without proper diagrams or workshop manuals, it's difficult to know where to start the diagnosis.
Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Its NOT glowplugs stopping it starting on these engines the glowplugs are NOT NEEDED for starting they are not needed on any common rail type engine.

They do help starting and warm up from cold but the lack of them will not prevent starting older engines needed them to start HDI engines do not if you dont believe this once you finally figure out what IS causing your issue unplug your glowplug relay and start it it WILL start.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi David,

you wont really see the little glow plug coil light on the dash if the temp outside is appx 3c or above as none of the hdi engines really need the glow plugs to start..
And even below that temp it will only light briefly,sometimes you need to be quick to see it :)

EDIT TO SELF ---didnt notice reliables post before me

dont know if there any use to you but i will post some wiring diagrams for the pre-heating system

screen-shot-01-07-18-at-10-56-.jpg

screen-shot-01-07-18-at-10-57-.jpg

screen-shot-01-07-18-at-10-57-(1).jpg

screen-shot-01-07-18-at-10-58-.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sincere thanks for the advice - am happy to be persuaded that it's not a glow-plug issue.

Now that the car is back home and off the road, there's no particular hurry to get things sorted.
I'm reasonably sure that it's not a fuel problem - it's too unpredictable for that I think.
It is a 12 year-old car with 100k+ miles on the clock and has been properly maintained and serviced but .......... not surprised that things are starting (no pun intended) to go wrong.

Will see what happens tomorrow after a night out in the cold !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts