Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, looking for some help here.

Car is a 2002 307 1.4 8v (KFW) that had blown its head gasket, i replaced this myself yesterday along with a new timing belt. Gone to start it afterwards and it fired into life for a few seconds and then died, tried again and the same thing happened.

I am at my wits end with it, tried everything i can think of and things others have suggested on the internet. I'm a fairly competent home mechanic but i have my limitations, especially when it comes to electrics etc.

The only thing i have managed to 'diagnose' is cranking the engine with the coil pack removed, then removing the spark plugs shows no signs of wet plugs/fuel getting into the cylinders, however it's baffling me that it did fire up a couple times albeit only for a few seconds.

As far as i'm aware the immobiliser is fine (can hear the usual beep with key held close to ignition with the door open), fuel is being pumped to the injector rail (plenty of fuel coming out of the fuel feed if i disconnect it from the injectors), i am getting a strong spark from each plug/coil.

Me and my partner really need to get the car running again before we go back to work tuesday so any help is greatly appreciated! I don't have access to a fault code reader and it being bank holiday weekend no garages are going to be open.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
If you have spark and fuel, the only things left are timing and air. For timing, the usual fault seems to be the crankshaft sensor, and for air the MAP sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, i've located the crankshaft sensor and it is absolutely caked in oil, grime and crud. Would a faulty sensor stop the injectors from providing fuel to the cylinders? Prior to the head gasket failing, the car was suffering from spluttering/surging at certain revs when accelerating at low-mid range, would this be likely caused by a failing crankshaft sensor?

I will get down to the motor factor on monday and get a new sensor (fortunately they are open despite it being bank holiday) and fingers crossed it'll rectify the issue and the car will start.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Are you sure the belt timing is correct as it seems easy to get wrong going by the amount i have bought over the years with timing out :)

pin in cam pin in crank hole at front.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pinned both the cam and the crank prior to removal of the timing belt, so i assume that the timing is correct?

I tried cleaning the crank sensor this morning and after refitting it, the engine again fired up for a second or so before cutting out. It's hard to get it to fire up again unless left for a prolonged period of time, even then it only fires for a few seconds at most.

I am picking up a new crank sensor and MAP sensor tomorrow morning, i am right in thinking the MAP sensor is located at the rear of the intake manifold? If so, would this require removal of the manifold in order to change the sensor?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes i made sure to connect that back up and double checked it after i'd read a few people forgetting to do so.

I am about to go and double check all connections and make sure things are clean and secure, if they are then the likely culprit would appear to be the crankshaft sensor after IanML's suggestion and what i've read elsewhere on here.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Yes i made sure to connect that back up and double checked it after i'd read a few people forgetting to do so.

I am about to go and double check all connections and make sure things are clean and secure, if they are then the likely culprit would appear to be the crankshaft sensor after IanML's suggestion and what i've read elsewhere on here.

Thanks
Matt
hi matt did you find out why it wouldnt start because i appear to have the same problem
As always, diagnostics is a good place to start

1 - 10 of 10 Posts