Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
It won't be the turbo if your already at a standstill on tick over..you should not hear a turbo at all u less the bearings are on their way out. Can't say that I've heard it anything but probably just the cooling fan slowing down after you have turned the car off.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It won't be the turbo if your already at a standstill on tick over..you should not hear a turbo at all u less the bearings are on their way out. Can't say that I've heard it anything but probably just the cooling fan slowing down after you have turned the car off.
Bearings on their way out after 12 days !!!!!...that would be bad indeed , i do not all the same think it is anything serious

·
Administrator
2,915 Posts
Got the 1.2 GT Line petrol , when switching off the car i get a sort of winding down noise , is this normal or what , besides that all ok with the car
Mine does exactly the same Joe, whether it's the turbo or cooling fan, it's normal on 1.2 engines I suggest.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I get that with my 206CC with the (non-turbo) 1.6 petrol, usually when using the A/C, as Nagaman said. I think it's the fan.

And, unless you were "on the turbo" i.e. a high exhaust gas flow just before switching off, the turbo would be pretty well stationary.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mine does exactly the same Joe, whether it's the turbo or cooling fan, it's normal on 1.2 engines I suggest.
Thanks Beau , just had it confirmed with a mechanic who lives beside me , he says probably the turbo winding down !!..thanks all
You are driving your car way too hard before parking if a certified mechanic says that your turbo is winding down at a speed that you can hear it after the engine is off. If you can't avoid to have high loads on the engine before parking, I would suggest you let the car idle for a minute before switching it off. Letting the turbo spin after the engine is off (it can spin way above 200 000 rpm on high loads) is a recipe for a turbo failure.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
That post is all about temperature, not whether the turbo is turning.

It may well be beneficial to allow the turbo to be cooled by idling before switching off - I have a Suzuki Cappuccino whose manual advises just that, but I still say that the turbo will not create a winding-down noise.

Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so try idling down with the A/C on before switching off and see whether you still get the noise. If you do, it's the fan.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Turbo wont be spinning all that fast at idle and i assume your engine would be idling before turning off !!

Its far more likely the cooling fan especially if A/C is on as the fan runs constantly with a/c demand

·
Registered
104 Posts
Turbo wont be spinning all that fast at idle and i assume your engine would be idling before turning off !!

Its far more likely the cooling fan especially if A/C is on as the fan runs constantly with a/c demand
Yes but if you came to a stop after powering your engine up an hill maybe then immediately switched off the engine, the turbo would be free spinning at anywhere near 200,000 RPM hence the need to keep the engine at idle for awhile pumping oil to its bearings while it winds down. the evaporator fan spins at approximately 3,000 RPM. It could be the source of the noise though I doubt it but as I am still waiting for mine I can not test it.

Maybe Lovemycar can try his/her car with the AC switched off tell us if that cures it or not.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yes but if you came to a stop after powering your engine up an hill maybe then immediately switched off the engine, the turbo would be free spinning at anywhere near 200,000 RPM hence the need to keep the engine at idle for awhile pumping oil to its bearings while it winds down. the evaporator fan spins at approximately 3,000 RPM. It could be the source of the noise though I doubt it but as I am still waiting for mine I can not test it.

Maybe Lovemycar can try his/her car with the AC switched off tell us if that cures it or not.
I think the oil technology has moved on considerably, in particular with the ashless oils leaving no residue.......all part of the human knowledge doubling every 11 months.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Even IF you were stupid enough to turn off an engine under load the turbo will still stop pretty quick as once the engine is stopped the exhaust flow stops so the turbo stops add to that most modern diesels have a throttle flap as part of the intake system which closes further restricting free flow of turbo as the flap closing will stall the turbo.

I have had turbo diesels for over20 years AND turbo petrols in subarus renaults and volvo and have never had a turbo fail even on engines prone to failure as i drive them sensibly i dont idle for 10 mins before turning of but i will drive off boost after a fast run for the last mile home thats all the care they get never worried about them a turbo will stop quicker than an electric motor will.

Im sure we will find the cooling fan is the real culprit

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.