Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
683 Posts
All the reviews I read and reviewers on YouTube said go with the 1.2 if you didn't want diesel and you wont be disappointed, I went with the 1.2 and for such a small engine it puts out a surprising amount of power I haven't floored mine yet pulling away but when I do push my foot down on that right peddle there is plenty enough power for me I cant hear when the turbo kicks in if in fact it ever has although it must have some times. I've just come home from a meal out there was a mini cab in front of me pratting about doing 28mph I pushed my right foot down 3/4 maybe the car kicked down a gear and whoosh she went enough to push me into my seat with a big grin on my face. The accelerator does feel stiffer and feels like you have to push down further you will soon get used to that. Did I say I love my car, well I do. lol

If your towing a caravan go for the 1.6 I guess.

· Registered
111 Posts
as I mention in other topic I had an Octavia with 1,8TSI with 160 HP..it goes like hell...now when I saw that this car has 165 HP and even less weight (same torque BTW) than I said this would be my favorite. I didn't go over 4k RPMs right now..but still can do very fast overtakes. The engine is really responsive and the gearbox also.
I cannot compare to another autobox cars..since this is my first with autogearbox...but I feel it reacts really well and fast.

Can't wait to finish with the run-up period and go over 4k RPMs.:D

Regarding 1.2 could be ok...for short distances...but I'm kind of anti 3 cylinder guy...despite of that I have a Hyundai i10 1litre 3 cylinder as a second car. You have to keep the RPMs high..otherwise the engine struggles. Due to this fact the consumption is a quite high for one litre engine.
But again..this is only my opinion.

and the 1,6 165 consumption??? hmm..since it is still in run-up period it shows a quite high FC ...lets say around 7 liters/100km (sorry...don't know how much MPG it is :D )...when travelling more than it goes to 6 liters.
On Octavia I could run with 6 or even with 5,5 litres/100km

· Registered
486 Posts
I ordered 1.6 liter petrol recently. But I did a test drive 1.2 liter on flat city and short section of motorway upto 150km/h. Based on my experience 1.2 liter is more than enough for city and 100~120 km/h long distance motorway driving and good enough acceleration for such use. Engine very smooth. You don't hear or feel much on gear change - very smooth. My main worry was I do some driving on hilly terrain occasionally with my family. No body even the peugeot dealer could not confirm nor I couldn't test drive these condition, that the engine will durable under use of such condition. I expect 1.6 liter would produce much noise and would be powerful, but performance and durability is important. However, it sacrifices the MPG. I also do not believe 1.6 petrol will good for towing and better deasel

· Registered
63 Posts
I went for the 1.6 Petrol. I'd read an article a while back (can't remember where) about small capacity 3 cylinder engines, that they do have to work harder than larger engines and the mpg advantage might be minimal. Peugeots Real World MPG figures are the same for the 1.2 EAT and the 1.6 EAT, having said that the 1.2 Owners seem very happy with their cars.
One other issue the report highlighted was longevity, I will keep my 3008 (when I get it) for a long time, for those that replace their cars regularly I guess this won't be a problem.
My days of hooning around are long gone but occasionally I hope the extra 35bhp will come in handy.

· Registered
64 Posts
Towing

I currently have a Peugeot 1.6 VTI and certainly would never recommend it for towing, the 1.6THP would be better but I suspect at the expense of fuel consumption also you would lose some of the extra power driving the auto gearbox - only option on new 3008. For towing you need low down torque and in my view you can only get that from a diesel or a really big petrol engine.

· Registered
1,243 Posts
I currently have a Peugeot 1.6 VTI and certainly would never recommend it for towing, the 1.6THP would be better but I suspect at the expense of fuel consumption also you would lose some of the extra power driving the auto gearbox - only option on new 3008. For towing you need low down torque and in my view you can only get that from a diesel or a really big petrol engine.
The relatively low powered 1.6 turbo has max torque @1500 and designed for towing and economy rather than 'performance'.

Not sure about its design integrity though.

· Registered
272 Posts
Was going to go with the 1.6 but was put off by no manual and the timing chain issues that my friend had with his DS3, tensioners failing early was his problem. Apparently it's a common problem with the 1.6THP. I'm sure all engines have there problems though.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,243 Posts

· Registered
1,423 Posts
It's what put me off the 1.6 petrol, aside from the rather large price difference. I e-mailed Honest John for an opinion on the 1.6, and he specifically mentioned that there had been a lot of problems with the timing chains.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.